F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 328i Comfort issue
proTUNING Freaks

04-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #1
akke92
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 328i M Sport

Exclamation F30 328i Comfort issue

Hey BP,

I've been a happy owner of a F30 328i M-sport '13 for a while now and thought it was a big step up from my previous E90 320i.
Sadly i've recently encountered a couple of comfort issues which are extremely frustrating.

Two months ago i started feeling a bit of a "wobble" or "shake" in the steering wheel from time to time. I didn't really pay attention to it as it was very "mild" and it didn't have this feeling all the time.
Now this started to successively increase and after a while of this happening i also noticed that car felt a bit bumpy on the road. The bumpyness felt distinctively more when going in specific speeds such as around 35-36 mph and almost went away at around 49-50mph.
This started to bother me as it ruined the extreme comfort i had been experiencing before.
Also worth mentioning is that around this time my brakes started to make a slight scraping sound when braking lightly.

This got worse. Now my steering wheel shakes when i brake lightly!
The shaking goes away when i brake harder and right now it feels like i'm experiencing a ton of comfort issues all at once and i need to fix it!

I did some research and found out that plenty of people had experienced these type of phenomenon with the early F30 328i's and many of them got it fixed by changing wheels.

So i did. I changed the wheels yesterday. It did nothing..
I got 4 new tires of a premium brand, got them balanced in hope that any of the above issues would get fixed but it didn't. So now i'm considoring if all these issues are related?

Is it possible that some rotor is warped and causes the steering wheel shake and causes the car to feel bumpy when driving?

I would greatly appreciate anyone who takes their time to help me out with my issue as it's making my driving experience so much worse than it can be with this wonderful car.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards
akke92
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 03:45 PM   #2
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (gold/cream)

I'm no mechanic, but my first thought on reading your post was, "Warped Rotors?" And the bumpiness at certain speeds and not at others suggests the wheels need balancing too. If yours is a 2013, it'll be out of warranty, but surely there's an independent mechanic or two near you who can check this and handle it for a lot less than your dealer will charge.

I agree, by the way, the F30 is a remarkably pleasant and exhilarating car to drive. Even the Continental run-flat tires, which I feared would ride hard, are just fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 03:51 PM   #3
akke92
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfus Aurelius View Post
I'm no mechanic, but my first thought on reading your post was, "Warped Rotors?" And the bumpiness at certain speeds and not at others suggests the wheels need balancing too. If yours is a 2013, it'll be out of warranty, but surely there's an independent mechanic or two near you who can check this and handle it for a lot less than your dealer will charge.

I agree, by the way, the F30 is a remarkably pleasant and exhilarating car to drive. Even the Continental run-flat tires, which I feared would ride hard, are just fine.
I'm thinking it's warped rotors aswell..
But would like to get it confirmed by some others or if anyone has any other thoughts on what it could be but currently my thoughts land on the rotors being warped.
Is there any good way to check for certainty that it's the rotors that are warped?

Don't feel like throwing money in the good old pit so to speak!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 04:49 PM   #4
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Warped rotors is usually felt through the brake pedal when you apply the brakes. You get feedback in the pedal unless it's really bad you feel it in the steering wheel.
You mentioned the car feels bumpy. I would also check the suspension and shock absorbers.

There was a recall on the steering rack where the rack casing bolts were corroding and snapping. I would check the steering rack and if your car has had the recall done.

Last edited by kingmonkey8; 04-24-2019 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 04:55 PM   #5
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Pull a rotor off and inspect it. The F3x series are pretty simple to work on the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 03:30 AM   #6
akke92
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmonkey8 View Post
Warped rotors is usually felt through the brake pedal when you apply the brakes. You get feedback in the pedal unless it's really bad you feel it in the steering wheel.
You mentioned the car feels bumpy. I would also check the suspension and shock absorbers.

There was a recall on the steering rack where the rack casing bolts were corroding and snapping. I would check the steering rack and if your car has had the recall done.
Yes, i don't feel it through the brake pedal. Only in the steering wheel!
So i'm guessing that it's pretty bad or something else is causing it.
I will have to check the Suspension and shock absorbers aswell!

Are you talking about the steering gear? I've had this fixed on my car, they replaced the bolts on warranty and said that it hadn't been damaged!

Thanks for you reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
Pull a rotor off and inspect it. The F3x series are pretty simple to work on the brakes.
Can it be seen clearly if the rotor is warped?
I'm supposing that it must be a front rotor that could be causing this or does these symptoms occur when the rear rotors are warped aswell?

Thank you very much for your time!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 03:46 AM   #7
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by akke92 View Post

Are you talking about the steering gear? I've had this fixed on my car, they replaced the bolts on warranty and said that it hadn't been damaged!

Thanks for you reply!

I'm supposing that it must be a front rotor that could be causing this or does these symptoms occur when the rear rotors are warped aswell?

If you are not feeling the feedback through the brake pedal then I would say it's not warped brake rotors.
The rear rotors would not affect the steering wheel. You can spin the wheels to see if the brakes are rubbing if the rotor is warped. There may be some slight rubbing which may be normal, but it should not drag the wheel.

Yes the steering rack is the steering gear. I would get it check out again anyway just to be sure. Check the steering track rod ends.
Raise the front of the car off the ground and check if there is any play in the wheels.

Last edited by kingmonkey8; 04-25-2019 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 03:47 AM   #8
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akke92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmonkey8 View Post

Thanks for you reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post

Sounds like control arm or bushing could need replacing. Or just any suspension component. You'll want to take it to a mechanic and explain the issue. They will take a look under your car and hopefully find the problem quickly. It's unlikely to be the brakes if it's happening while just driving.

It might also not be a bad idea to get your tires balanced again.
Appreciate 2
kern4174446.50
      04-25-2019, 06:49 AM   #9
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

OP your car is 6ish years old now so suspension issues will start popping up. Most likely a bushing somewhere or shock/struts getting worn out.
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      04-25-2019, 06:58 AM   #10
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Yep something loosened up or wore out. You can take it to an alignment shop to be sure everything is tight and your alignment is still in spec. Steering shaking sounds like you might need a new outer tie rod.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 10:36 AM   #11
akke92
Sweden
Rep

Thank you everyone for all the replies.

Think i'll have to take it to my local mechanic to let them have a look at it.
We've all come down to different reasons that could be causing these issues and i feel like taking it to the mechanic is the best thing to do as there's no certainty of what's causing my issues.
Having my fingers crossed that it's nothing to bad!
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50