F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Steering angle sensor
Extreme Powerhouse

11-23-2019, 03:46 AM   #1
Zeezu541
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i || M3 F80|| F90 M5

Steering angle sensor

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew how to recalibrate the steering angle sensor for a m140i/f20 as I have tried it with snap on machine and it says all's gone well however the steering wheel still pulls to the right when it's let go and traction light is on and I can't switch between modes

I've had 4 wheel alignment done 3 times, super tracker and hunter so that's not the problem however I think when it first got tracked the garage did not have the steering straight or something along them lines
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 06:20 AM   #2
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: F33 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeezu541 View Post
Hi I was wondering if anyone knew how to recalibrate the steering angle sensor for a m140i/f20 as I have tried it with snap on machine and it says all's gone well however the steering wheel still pulls to the right when it's let go and traction light is on and I can't switch between modes

I've had 4 wheel alignment done 3 times, super tracker and hunter so that's not the problem however I think when it first got tracked the garage did not have the steering straight or something along them lines
You need ISTA/Rheingold for that. I don't have it in front of me now, but it is in the electronic steering module functions. I don't know any other way of doing it. Maybe you can do it with a normal OBD2 reader.

I had exactly the same issue and it fixed it. You have to do it carefully though and on flat ground. Follow the instructions carefully.

Does the car track straight? How far off is it? I found that sometimes when they align the car they don't set the steering perfectly straight, because there aren't a lot of reference points. I found that doing the alignment with the car turned on and the steering in sport mode helped. Last time I had to go back 4 times to get it right. Then when it was in the right ballpark the reset fixed the final offset.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 08:51 AM   #3
Zeezu541
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantanas View Post
Quote:

You need ISTA/Rheingold for that. I don't have it in front of me now, but it is in the electronic steering module functions. I don't know any other way of doing it. Maybe you can do it with a normal OBD2 reader.

I had exactly the same issue and it fixed it. You have to do it carefully though and on flat ground. Follow the instructions carefully.

Does the car track straight? How far off is it? I found that sometimes when they align the car they don't set the steering perfectly straight, because there aren't a lot of reference points. I found that doing the alignment with the car turned on and the steering in sport mode helped. Last time I had to go back 4 times to get it right. Then when it was in the right ballpark the reset fixed the final offset.
Thanks I'll give it a go

The car goes straight when the wheel is held straight but as soon as it's let go the car pulls to the right and indicators don't go off after a turn

I do have a strong feeling they botched up the tracking but the garage is saying that there was another 1 series they did and didn't have any issues with that
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 08:55 AM   #4
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks I'll give it a go

The car goes straight when the wheel is held straight but as soon as it's let go the car pulls to the right and indicators don't go off after a turn

I do have a strong feeling they botched up the tracking but the garage is saying that there was another 1 series they did and didn't have any issues with that
When it pulls to the right does the steering turn as well?

It sounds like you might be lucky and the steering angle sensor is the problem.

Give it a try and let us know.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:10 AM   #5
Zeezu541
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks I'll give it a go

Yes that's what it does
I've got on to ista and I've found the option for steering angle sensor but none for steering angle sensor adjustment[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Kefka32.50
      11-23-2019, 10:13 AM   #6
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks I'll give it a go

Yes that's what it does
I've got on to ista and I've found the option for steering angle sensor but none for steering angle sensor adjustment
Which menu are you looking at? It should say something like functions.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #7
Zeezu541
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks I'll give it a go

Yes that's what it does
I've got on to ista and I've found the option for steering angle sensor but none for steering angle sensor adjustment
Vehicle management> service functions > chassis and suspension> steering angle sensor

I've attached pictures above
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:18 AM   #8
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks I'll give it a go

Yes that's what it does
Vehicle management> service functions > chassis and suspension> steering angle sensor

The way I did it in the past was choosing the ECU from the tree and choosing the function from there
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:20 AM   #9
Zeezu541
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks I'll give it a go

Yes that's what it does

The way I did it in the past was choosing the ECU from the tree and choosing the function from there
First time using ista can you guide me through how to do that

I'm on the tree but don't know what to do after that
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #10
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks I'll give it a go

Yes that's what it does

Go to control unit tree->EPS?(I think it is somewhere on the tree, when you go over it, it will say something like electronic steering) right click it and open ECU functions

Then I think it is the third tab saying functions and it should have the steering angle calibration there.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #11
Zeezu541
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks I'll give it a go

Yes that's what it does

Go to control unit tree->EPS?(I think it is somewhere on the tree, when you go over it, it will say something like electronic steering) right click it and open ECU functions

Then I think it is the third tab saying functions and it should have the steering angle calibration there.
No option to calibrate sensor
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:36 AM   #12
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks I'll give it a go

Yes that's what it does

Try component triggering. I might be remembering it wrong.

In the service functions menu that you were before, did you try to open it up?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #13
Zeezu541
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks I'll give it a go

Yes that's what it does

When I was In service function steering angle sensor was greyed out and when I clicked it nothing happened

This is what I see in component triggering[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:42 AM   #14
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks I'll give it a go

Yes that's what it does

When I was In service function steering angle sensor was greyed out and when I clicked it nothing happened

Try searching with the search function
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 07:31 AM   #15
Zeezu541
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks I'll give it a go

Yes that's what it does

No luck with that either
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 03:45 AM   #16
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks I'll give it a go

Yes that's what it does

No luck with that either
Did you manage to sort it out?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 05:28 AM   #17
Zeezu541
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks I'll give it a go

Yes that's what it does

No luck with that either
Did you manage to sort it out?
YeAh I did but I didn't recalibrate SAS
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 06:18 AM   #18
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep