F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > VIN change issues with retrofit EVO and ATM
ARMA SPEED

07-01-2023, 10:43 AM   #1
BMWFanaticRob
Rep
Drives: F33 435i

VIN change issues with retrofit EVO and ATM

Hello Coding forum!

Here's the issue. I'm retrofitting an EVO into a F30. I have the EVO working properly.

I have the ATM in the car and I created an FA that matched the VIN for the ATM so that I could detect SWE and code it in my car as the CAFD was the 255_???_???_???. So I did that and it appeared to work, but it didn't.

I used ESYS FSC Extended to check the VIN in the ATM, using the diagnosis address of 0x61. When checking the VIN, it showed 17 30's (in HEX), which means that the VIN is blank (all zeros).

So using BimmerUtility, I was able to look at the FDL and in the options, the VIN showed that it was the VIN per the car it was pulled from.

The issue that I'm seeing is the fact that when I check the connection of the ATM in ISTA, it's only showing emergency calls as opposed to logged in, which is what it should be showing (the ATM does still have the ability to get a ConnectedDrive activation code). It has 2 bars of connectivity, so it appears as if it's working such that the SIM is getting signal (ISTA shows control to be green, no errors, or no SOS error), however, I feel that since the VIN in the FDL is not matching the VIN when I use ReadDatabyIdentifierVIN, the BMW servers are seeing a VIN mismatch on the ATM and are not letting the ATM to log in.

When I try to use WriteDatabyIdentifierVIN, I receive the following error:

--> WriteDataByIdentifierVIN
<-- Error: SWT diagnosis for ECU "[BaseVariant=ATM, DiagAddress=61]" failed! [C057]
MCDError Severity: 2051, Error Code: 49184, Description: Object with name not found, Vendor Code: 3, Vendor Description: provided name FINALIZE_ECU_FSC_DEPLOY doesn't map to an item [2130755616]

I've connected to the car properly, using F20, NOT direct, using ESYS 3.40.2 with latest PSDzData files.

I feel that somehow the ATM is VIN locked, similar to how EVO can have the same thing happen when improperly VO coding, but it's just a guess.

Therefore, with all of the above, is there any programming, coding, fixes, Tool32 options, etc. that could get me out of this situation such that I can write the VIN back to the ATM.

I firmly believe that as soon as I can get the VIN written properly back to the ATM, then it would connect, ISTA would show that it's logged into the BMW servers and then I could move onto the ConnectedDrive activation.

Thanks for the help anyone can provide guidance!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 01:18 PM   #2
Siki78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30,G30

I can inject cafd and vo code atm
      07-01-2023, 03:56 PM   #3
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

What month/year was your F30 manufactured and which features (specific) do you expect to use?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 08:58 PM   #4
BMWFanaticRob
Rep

I've injected CAF into ECU and everything is blue. The issue is the fact that the ATM isn't logged in.

I have a 2015 with NBT/TCB and retrofitting EVO/ATM. I've updated istep so as soon as I can get the ATM functional, I'll see what features that work when I can access ConnectedDrive.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 10:08 PM   #5
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFanaticRob View Post
The issue is the fact that the ATM isn't logged in.

I have a 2015 with NBT/TCB and retrofitting EVO/ATM. I've updated istep so as soon as I can get the ATM functional, I'll see what features that work when I can access ConnectedDrive.
Hate to inform you that you will never get it to work as you want that way. Your 2015 isn’t provisioned for those features as BMW knows your car was outfitted from the factory with an old TCB unit, not an ATM.

The only things you can ever do with your vehicle is what it came out of the factory with. As you had a TCB from the factory, I doubt the option for Connected Drive even shows up available to you for subscription in 2023.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 11:13 PM   #6
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

I do not know EVO well...but can you change the Zeitkriterium for the HU ECU and its dependency ECUs to a date after the EVO came out for that model?

My car is May 2012 F30 and NBT did not come out for that model until in 2013. So I had to change the ECU's Zeitkriterium from the original May 2012 to (if I recall) May 2013 or after.
      07-02-2023, 02:31 AM   #7
Siki78
Lieutenant
Rep

If you have ATM from donor car and still can connect to BMW server I can vo code and activate all dienste without remote.
      07-02-2023, 07:59 AM   #8
BMWFanaticRob
Rep

So here's an odd happening, this morning, I checked the ATM with ISTA and it showed Logged in. And the Update BMW Services is no longer greyed out, with BMW Messages now showing up. So at least at this point, it's indicating that it is connected to the BMW Servers, even though when I check the VIN with ISTA, it's showing all zeros. When I check the FDL VIN field with BimmerUtility, it does show the VIN from the ATM. Very odd...

If I'm able to sign up for ConnectedDrive services, I'll post a final resolution in case someone else runs into this issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 02:18 PM   #9
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFanaticRob View Post
So here's an odd happening, this morning, I checked the ATM with ISTA and it showed Logged in. And the Update BMW Services is no longer greyed out, with BMW Messages now showing up. So at least at this point, it's indicating that it is connected to the BMW Servers, even though when I check the VIN with ISTA, it's showing all zeros. When I check the FDL VIN field with BimmerUtility, it does show the VIN from the ATM. Very odd...

If I'm able to sign up for ConnectedDrive services, I'll post a final resolution in case someone else runs into this issue.
The BMW needs to sit for a while after coding...sometimes overnight...before some codings take effect..
      09-12-2023, 10:55 AM   #10
Private
Rep
Drives: F11 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siki78 View Post
If you have ATM from donor car and still can connect to BMW server I can vo code and activate all dienste without remote.
hi, i have nbt evo in a f46 with Nav pro and someone stole the ATM. I have bought another one second hand from a very similar car and understand i will need to VO code the NBt with the vin from the ATM to get a gps signal etc. My question is regarding the NBT emulator i believe i will need to fit to the NBT. Will i need to fit this one at all and will i need another emulator between the ATM and the car? the wiring diagrams i have from ista are not clear on the can connections between the modules and the car and i havent found definitive answers yet. Im not interested in connected drive or even emergency call for that matter, i would just like a gps signal. thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 12:43 AM   #11
Siki78
Lieutenant
Rep

Write me pm today I am off
      09-14-2023, 02:17 PM   #12
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989964 View Post
hi, i have nbt evo in a f46 with Nav pro and someone stole the ATM. I have bought another one second hand from a very similar car and understand i will need to VO code the NBt with the vin from the ATM to get a gps signal etc. My question is regarding the NBT emulator i believe i will need to fit to the NBT. Will i need to fit this one at all and will i need another emulator between the ATM and the car? the wiring diagrams i have from ista are not clear on the can connections between the modules and the car and i havent found definitive answers yet. Im not interested in connected drive or even emergency call for that matter, i would just like a gps signal. thanks guys
The ATM and HU need the same VIN number. The ATM sends the signal on the OABR plug and the emulators work on the KCAN connnection (not on the OABR).
Appreciate 0