F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Apple CarPlay Retrofit - Done! (Update:16/11/18...now also with full screen function)
Studio RSR

07-06-2019, 02:28 AM   #331
SpeedBanana
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i

From what I've read, the issue is that CarPlay activations replace the FSC codes and the root certificate used to validate the FSC codes on the head unit. This cause issues if the software is later updated, causing all the FSC codes to be invalid, and things like Nav, voice control etc will stop working because not having a valid FSC code.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 04:41 AM   #332
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedBanana View Post
From what I've read, the issue is that CarPlay activations replace the FSC codes and the root certificate used to validate the FSC codes on the head unit. This cause issues if the software is later updated, causing all the FSC codes to be invalid, and things like Nav, voice control etc will stop working because not having a valid FSC code.
That makes sense too
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 12:51 PM   #333
springer222
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d M SPORT LCI

ok, can you request they dont update the software at a service?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 12:52 PM   #334
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer222 View Post

thanks
Yes, I did that and had zero issues
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 01:02 PM   #335
springer222
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d M SPORT LCI

cool thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 03:10 PM   #336
F30-330e
Rep
Drives: 2017 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorph View Post
I generate any FSC to any vin... but for a reason I can’t say more...
Thanks for the info! Will PM you.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 12:23 AM   #337
SpeedBanana
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer222 View Post
Unless you need new parts fitted that needs to be updated, like a new EGR valve due to the recalls

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1621058
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 05:16 AM   #338
DanEv
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW3

Hi all - so I recently got a new BMW 320 SE, having previously checked with a "genius" I was under the impression that I would get CarPlay with it...apparently not as what they didn't say was I would need the pro navigation system. Is there anyway I can get it working...? I've attached a photo of the system which from reading previous posts will help... Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 08:07 AM   #339
Franko666
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Looks really good
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 04:49 PM   #340
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

I asked this ebay seller and this is his response:

"Ok. Today I have two working solutions for you:
I have a cheap solution and it will work LIFETIME ONLY if you don't update the firmware version: $48

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254112988554

I have an expensive solution, also LIFETIME, that will work EVEN if you update the firmware version: $100 and you need to have an ENET cable. If you don't have an ENET cable, you can search on ebay/amazon for "bmw enet cable" and choose the yellow one OR you might ask a friend.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254126008338

Both solution will work today.

The difference is that: if you will ever update the firmware at the dealer in the future, with the first solution you won't be able to reactivate Carplay again."

And when I asked about dealer update killing nav:

“ If the dealer update AND don't restore to originals settings before => it will kill the "Navigation" menu, not the navigation itself => In almost cases the dealer fix it without money, so for some customers the "Navigation" menu was back again, and for other it wasn't. Anyway they could reactivate it again with ENET method ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/254126008338)

If the dealer update AND you restore to originals settings before => it won't kill the "Navigation" menu, it will kill only the Carplay.”

:
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 04:55 PM   #341
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEv View Post
Hi all - so I recently got a new BMW 320 SE, having previously checked with a "genius" I was under the impression that I would get CarPlay with it...apparently not as what they didn't say was I would need the pro navigation system. Is there anyway I can get it working...? I've attached a photo of the system which from reading previous posts will help... Thanks!
Check with Steve at www.codemybimmer.ca

He added it to my 2018 230i and I did not get NAV due to a similar situation. I got everything else needed except NAV
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 06:06 AM   #342
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post

I have a cheap solution and it will work LIFETIME ONLY if you don't update the firmware version: $48

I have an expensive solution, also LIFETIME, that will work EVEN if you update the firmware version: $100 and you need to have an ENET cable. If you don't have an ENET cable, you can search on ebay/amazon for "bmw enet cable" and choose the yellow one OR you might ask a friend.

The difference is that: if you will ever update the firmware at the dealer in the future, with the first solution you won't be able to reactivate Carplay again."

" If the dealer update AND don't restore to originals settings before => it will kill the "Navigation" menu, not the navigation itself => In almost cases the dealer fix it without money, so for some customers the "Navigation" menu was back again, and for other it wasn't. Anyway they could reactivate it again with ENET method ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/254126008338)

If the dealer update AND you restore to originals settings before => it won't kill the "Navigation" menu, it will kill only the Carplay."

:
These solutions are not permanent ways to add car play.

The only permanent solution that will not clear via dealer update is to purchase via connected drive provisioning (not possible unless ordered from factory) or buy an FSC directly from BMW tied to your VIN. (Very expensive).

All other methods are a hack (patched FSC) and will break some idrive features after a dealer update (unless you return to stock prior)

I purchased an FSC code for my VIN from bmw and had it coded to my car. This a bmw provisioned fsc and permanent although expensive.

Full screen car play is a patch. This will not break your idrive if the dealer updates (if car play is purchased from bmw). You will just loose full screen and need to reapply patch.

Full screen car play is a must prior to iOS 13 unless BMW allows full screen car play activation via idrive (unlikely).
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      07-11-2019, 06:10 AM   #343
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post
Quote:

" If the dealer update AND don't restore to originals settings before => it will kill the "Navigation" menu, not the navigation itself => In almost cases the dealer fix it without money, so for some customers the "Navigation" menu was back again, and for other it wasn't. Anyway they could reactivate it again with ENET method ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/254126008338)

If the dealer update AND you restore to originals settings before => it won't kill the "Navigation" menu, it will kill only the Carplay."

:

The only permanent solution that will not clear via dealer update is to purchase via connected drive provision or buy an FSC from BMW tied to your VIN.

All other methods are a hack (patched FSC) and will break some idrive features after a dealer update (unless you return to stock)

I purchased an FSC code for my VIN from bmw and had it coded to my car. This a bmw provisioned fsc and permanent although expensive.

Full screen car play is a patch. This will not break your idrive if the dealer updates. You will just loose full screen and need to reapply patch.

Full screen car play is a must prior to iOS 13 unless BMW allows full screen car play activation via idrive (unlikely)
Thanks for the reply, the eBay sellers say that I could remove it each time my car goes in for service so I guess that means it will be ok?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 06:13 AM   #344
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

:

The only permanent solution that will not clear via dealer update is to purchase via connected drive provision or buy an FSC from BMW tied to your VIN.

All other methods are a hack (patched FSC) and will break some idrive features after a dealer update (unless you return to stock)

Full screen car play is a patch. This will not break your idrive if the dealer updates. You will just loose full screen and need to reapply patch.

Full screen car play is a must prior to iOS 13 unless BMW allows full screen car play activation via idrive (unlikely)
Thanks for the reply, the eBay sellers say that I could remove it each time my car goes in for service so I guess that means it will be ok?
Yeah you need to have a solution that returns to stock before dealer visits. To be safe.

The car will appear modded (software tamper code) if they plug it in and if they update your idrive is screwed.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 06:16 AM   #345
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

:

Yeah you need to have a solution that returns to stock before dealer visits.

To be safe. The car will appear modded if they plug it in and if they update your idrive is screwed.
They have definitely said the ENET solution allows me to revert to stock before each service
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #346
DanEv
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear_Blue22 View Post
Check with Steve at www.codemybimmer.ca

He added it to my 2018 230i and I did not get NAV due to a similar situation. I got everything else needed except NAV
Hi...so today when I was flicking through my system I noticed CarPlay options and it works....so perhaps the genius was right and the person I spoke to the other day was wrong....even though they checked my vehicle TIN number and said I didn't have it...Im happy if a little perplexed. Only thing now is that I need to try and get it full screen!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #347
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Nice! I ran into the same issue when I had Steve install FSC codes he got straight from bmw for me. We got it installed but it never showed up. I later found it in a settings option and added it to my audio sources and it started working. For full screen you will have to reach out to a coder. It can be added but it will cost a bit. And it's my understanding it's harder if you have the newer update. Steve can also help you with that I believe. Great guy and really easy to work with
Appreciate 1
DanEv0.00
      07-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #348
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Nice! I ran into the same issue when I had Steve install FSC codes he got straight from bmw for me. We got it installed but it never showed up. I later found it in a settings option and added it to my audio sources and it started working. For full screen you will have to reach out to a coder. It can be added but it will cost a bit. And it's my understanding it's harder if you have the newer update. Steve can also help you with that I believe. Great guy and really easy to work with
Easy, just install the iOS 13 public beta
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 08:49 PM   #349
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Easy, just install the iOS 13 public beta
Does this automatically activate full screen or compress the tiles into the 3/4 screen ?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 08:50 PM   #350
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Don't believe it's possible with NBT evo Q
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 09:04 AM   #351
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Don't believe it's possible with NBT evo Q
I have NBT entry_nav2 😜 I ordered my car without nav because my SA told me all that's required for CarPlay is enhanced BT and the WiFi/wireless charging add on. Of course found that's not true until Steve found a work around
Appreciate 1
Rathian153.50
      07-12-2019, 02:14 PM   #352
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Well that was scary!

Tried installing Carplay last night using enet method bought from an eBay seller and it failed half way through and my idrive screen got stuck on this:

Apparently it was because the wifi was too weak. It was too late for the seller to respond to me so I drove round today with no nav, music, parking cameras or sensors, speed limit display or any other idrive functions!

Fortunately Simon from Bavarian Coding came to the rescue this evening, simply cehecking FSC status with e-sys (connect, go to comfort mode, fsc, check fsc status) brought the idrive back to life!

I’ve now moved my router right next to my car and will retry coding Carplay tomorrow!
Appreciate 0