F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Reverse camera OEM style retrofit for $199 shipped - DIY Details
Studio RSR

10-12-2019, 02:46 PM   #133
efrancis1409
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328I F30

To anyone on the fence about upgrading the 6.5" screen to a 8.8" I can confirm that it works. Just pull out the white connector on the camera module, put the #2 switch to on position (down), plug everything back in and restart your car. This is of course after the necessary coding for the screen. One issue I have however is I cannot get the lines to move from left to right on the camera. They can move up and down just fine though.

**Update**
Actually figured out the camera lines situation, I wasn't holding the idrive knob to the sides long enough after the lines started blinking. Thanks everyone for all the tips and advice, and to the OP for finding this camera.

Last edited by efrancis1409; 10-12-2019 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: Update.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 10:10 PM   #134
330istocknot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330chino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisf36 View Post
I just installed the same kit but I have navi and 8.i screen and the whole screen says no signal whether I'm in drive or not
can you post a picture, and is it the same exact one from these guys?>
Appreciate 1
jbb238847.50
      10-21-2019, 01:33 PM   #135
jbb2388
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340iX

Thanks to the OP for this thread. I finally have a reasonably priced backup camera in my car. Installed pretty easily on Saturday morning and worked flawlessly and needed zero adjustments (once I remembered to close my trunk lid that is ) What a difference.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2019, 02:49 AM   #136
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Finally bit the bullet and ordered, received, and installed. Hardest part of the install was fitting all the extra hardware behind the head unit. Start to finish took around 1.5-2 hours including pulling up the trim along the side of the car to tuck the wires. Haven't had much occasion to actually use it aside from a little test run, but I can verify that it all works and the price blows the Bimmertech option out of the water.

Btw, fast shipping from HK. Ordered Friday morning, received Tuesday afternoon in California.

Night shot:
Attached Images

sthor1022.50
      11-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #137
Hali_Mark
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 M Sport

Installed mine today, works great! I can say that it's a much more difficult install in the wagon, it took a couple of hours just to get it fed up through the tailgate and into the vehicle through the rubber tubing that protects the existing wire harness.

It ends up in the ceiling from there so I fed it along the edge of the headliner using a wire coat hanger, keeping it above the rolled up airbags that are in there. removing the grab handles and the square things in the ceiling helped. Down the A pillar and into the side of the dash was pretty easy.

I can adjust the guide lines left/right, but can't get them to move in/out by turning the wheel for some reason. Any thoughts?

Big thanks to OP, what a great product. (although it should have come with the car)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #138
Chriske92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriske92 View Post
For the led brake light i purchased these led bulbs from iJDMTOY. I didn't need to code thema at all and no flickering

For LED reverse bulbs i bought natgic, but very weird always the tight one doesnt want to work Tried other bulbs but also that didnt work
I have these for a year now and they worked great. I got them just when they started selling them and there were no reviews. Took a chance but they turned out great. I have lasfit brand for the reverse lights-coded all checks off and designated all as LEDs. Lasfit turned out to be white but not as concentrated as I had hoped.
In your case, the one bulb that is not working might need the module to be reset. If you had faults too many times the module just turns off power to that circuit.
Hey Palantir sorry for the late reaction. Its some good info you gave me their. But to reset the circuit what are the steps to follow please? Is it with BMW tool32 software that i can reset it?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 08:41 PM   #139
Hali_Mark
Enlisted Member
Rep

I didn't notice this before I installed the camera, but my screen seems to have shifted a pixel line or two to the right. As you can see, the left side is cut off and there's a little extra over on the right. Anyone else experience this, and know how to center it again?

Edit: I have no idea why my uploaded pics are always sideways or flipped, and can't figure out how to fix.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 02:58 PM   #140
WillSkill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 335i

Garage List
I definitely am considering ordering this camera. My 2013 f30 335 also doesn't have a backup camera, which is pretty ridiculous. It has heated seats, HUD, and all the bells and whistles except a for a back up camera

My windows are quite tinted and a backup camera would definitely make my life a lot easier
2013 Alpine White 335i -M Sport/// Akrapovic Catback Exhaust/// KW Street Comfort Coilovers/// BMS intake/// JB4/// ER front mount intercooler/// ER Charge pipe/// ER catless downpipe/// 18" Apex Arc-8 in Anthracite/// Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 03:05 PM   #141
330istocknot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330chino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali_Mark View Post
I didn't notice this before I installed the camera, but my screen seems to have shifted a pixel line or two to the right. As you can see, the left side is cut off and there's a little extra over on the right. Anyone else experience this, and know how to center it again?

Edit: I have no idea why my uploaded pics are always sideways or flipped, and can't figure out how to fix.

Have not seen this before. Can you tell if the pixel that you see if the reverse camera being active the entire time?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 08:12 PM   #142
Hali_Mark
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330istocknot View Post
Have not seen this before. Can you tell if the pixel that you see if the reverse camera being active the entire time?
It is not the reverse camera, but whatever is on the screen at the time. When on Nav screen I can see it moving with the map. It's on every screen, like the alignment is off by a row of pixels.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 08:56 PM   #143
bmw4jh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Hali_Mark,
Look at post 125 for a possible answer. It worked for me.
      12-02-2019, 04:07 PM   #144
homeryen88
Homer Yen
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 (sold Aug 2019); F30 Sedan

Rear-view Camera System for BMW Series by CarNavi - Model: 8021

OP, thank you for being the “pioneer” on this.

Moreover, I do appreciate the level of thoroughness regarding your post. And, many thanks to the other contributors who have shared their wisdom to enhance our understanding as well as to mollify our natural unease with a Chinese knock-off.

As others have mentioned, I wished that I could pay for (but ultimately could not budget) the Bimmertech product, which retails for $699 (not including tax and possible install charges). To their credit, they seem to be the Hilton of quality and customer service. But sometimes, I can happily settle for a Hampton Inn.

With all of your collective guidance and reassurance, I took the plunge.

My car is the 2014 335i (sedan) / NBT / 6.5” screen. It did not come with a back-up camera (nor any parking-assistance features nor a NAV system – which is why my car has the 6.5” screen). At the very least, I was particularly keen on getting a rear-view camera in place. It just multiplies safety and convenience.

I had this product installed (by an installer) in early November and have had a chance to see it in heavy action over the last month or two. I would like to also share my thoughts.

THOUGHTS:
1. “free shipping” still provided.
2. No issues with delivery. Tracking info provided; shipped via DHL. Frequent email updates regarding shipping status received. Once the monies that I sent “cleared” (which took 3 business days), it took about 3 more business days when it arrived in my hands.
3. For questions that I posed to the seller, I received a response within 1 business day.
4. I liked how the metal “box” is triple-wrapped in bubble wrap. The trunk handle / camera was protected in a single layer of bubble wrap.
5. Pic of dip switch guides attached. Mine was in Chinese, so I asked them (and seller quickly responded) to send me the translation.
6. If your car doesn’t have one of the parking-related features, then it won’t matter if your dip switch is set to ON or OFF.
7. Installer (work done by Best Buy) reported no hiccups or surprises during install process. Labor time was less than 3 hours.
8. Previous comments on how to adjust the parking lines were super helpful / appreciated.
9. No instruction manual is provided (but other members have posted a relevant “how-to” video on earlier pages).
10. I asked the seller if the green parking lines could be spread further apart or brought closer together, but the seller said that’s not possible. Previous posters do point out that you can move the lines closer (towards the bumper) or further away (into the distance), which this did do.
11. I could not move my lines to the left or to the right (or at least couldn’t figure how to make this happen), but my lines appeared centered upon setup.
12. In terms of “testing” the camera’s durability … the most I’ve done is to take it through the car wash once (everything still operates fine). Temperature-wise here in DC, it has only been as warm as the mid-70s and as cold as 25 degrees (since it was installed back in October 2019), so that’s not really testing the camera’s durability in extreme weather.

But overall, so far so good!

AN INTERESTING TIDBIT:
The seller sent me a photo of what he says the pic on the screen should look like when you’re in reverse. You’ll notice that the OP’s video sample (and my attached pic) doesn’t look the same as what the seller is noting in terms of how the viewscreen should appear. Missing are the “ladder” lines (green / yellow / red) that show you how close you are to backing into an object.

The seller wrote (in broken English). “But the camera also has a set of fixed guide lines, see below pic. There is a white tiny cable on the camera cord, after cut this white wire, the screen will display this green/yellow/red guide lines. This set of guide lines are fixed, it does not move when you turn the steering wheel.”

I got that message after I had the camera installed. But I’m totally ok with how the camera currently functions and with how the lines that do appear are displayed and am not motivated to reverse engineer to find this white cable. But, I do include this tidbit for future purchasers to consider/to keep an eye out for. If you have questions about this, please contact the seller for assistance (obv, contacting them directly will be your best approach).

Let me also say, though, that when I look at OP’s set of pics (specifically, the handle/camera where this white wire should be) as well as the pic that is used on the seller’s website, I can not clearly see this white wire in plain view (although it’s circled in the pic that the seller provided to me). So, this white wire is something of a mystery (maybe it has something to do with what kind of IDrive or screen size you have … my car and the OP’s car are both NBT with 6.5” screens). So, if the next contributor to this post sees this white wire, would you please add your comments/perspective so that we have a better understanding of how these “ladder” lines become displayed for those that want them displayed? I also noticed from other posters’ photos that no one else has these “ladder lines” displaying. Thanks in advance!

SPEC SHEET:
I did ask the seller to provide a spec sheet as I was curious about some of the camera’s specifications. Below are some of them:
Image sensor type, CCD
Pixels, 756H x 720V
Horizontal Resolution, 580 TV Line
Lens Angle (Degree), 170°
Water-Proof Rating, IP68
Power supply, DC12V±5%
Working current, 85mA
Working temperature, ~-40°C to ~+85°C

Pics attached. Note that the pic with the ladder lines and the pic with the circled white wire was provided by the seller.

As for my own subjective opinion, I think the camera works well. Image quality is fine. It has not dislodged even when I go over a pronounced bump or pothole. It can handle the water pressure of a car wash. And, for less than $200, it’s hard to think of a more worthwhile investment that will enhance your safety and convenience. It’s a great find! Mod On!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-07-2019, 04:43 PM   #145
MikeyMrtnz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Finished installing this a couple days ago. Everything works as it should. Only thing is my camera is ever so slightly pointed to the left. Anybody else experience this?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 06:05 AM   #146
bmw4jh
Private
United_States
Rep

Is the camera pointed to the left or some pixels showing on one side of the screen? Two different issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 07:17 PM   #147
penet05
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Sdrive35i, 2013 328i

I just finished the installation. My camera is pointing to ground. Is there a way to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 07:48 PM   #148
bmw4jh
Private
United_States
Rep

The actual lens/camera may be loose....May be during installation. I did not have any issues. You may have to check the actual camera.
      12-22-2019, 10:17 PM   #149
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by penet05 View Post
I just finished the installation. My camera is pointing to ground. Is there a way to fix it?
Can you take a pic of what you mean?
I think generally, backup cams tend to have a downward viewing angle to give you a better view of what's directly behind you, ie. just past your rear bumper. I don't think they're intended to view straight back, if that what you were expecting.
Attached Images

12-22-2019, 10:33 PM   #150
penet05
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Sdrive35i, 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Quote:
I think generally, backup cams tend to have a downward viewing angle to give you a better view of what's directly behind you, ie. just past your rear bumper. I don't think they're intended to view straight back, if that what you were expecting.
Mine can only show up-to 6.7 meters (22 ft) far on flat surface. This is not the same with OEM one (I compared with my other F30) and also other screenshots that I saw in this thread. Here is a picture of it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 11:32 AM   #151
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Quote:
Mine can only show up-to 6.7 meters (22 ft) far on flat surface. This is not the same with OEM one (I compared with my other F30) and also other screenshots that I saw in this thread. Here is a picture of it.
It doesn't look that much lower than the image I get in mine. That said, I'm pretty sure it isn't adjustable, so more than likely, you'll have to live with it. Alternatively, you could try sourcing a different trunk handle/camera to see if it makes a difference (possibly even an OEM one?), but I have no idea if they'd be cross-compatible.
      01-05-2020, 11:24 PM   #152
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

I purchased this camera kit in Sept.2019 for my 2016 320I and it has worked great.

But I just purchased and installed an Android Auto MMI (https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929) which is compatible with this camera and replaces this camera's mmi box and cables. Therefore I no longer need the mmi box and cables and I am willing to sell them cheap. However the buyer will need to source their own camera. Let me know if interested.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 02:15 PM   #153
PJ_
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535d

I ordered the kit Friday and it was delivered Tuesday. Super quick!

I installed it last night, but when I powered everything up, the camera worked well, but now my radio and AC controls do not work. Anyone have any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 03:27 PM   #154
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_ View Post
I ordered the kit Friday and it was delivered Tuesday. Super quick!

I installed it last night, but when I powered everything up, the camera worked well, but now my radio and AC controls do not work. Anyone have any ideas?
Did you check the fuses yet? Did you disconnect the battery before doing the install?