F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Power Packs and Remaps - fashion items?
GetBMWParts

07-24-2015, 12:31 PM   #23
Bricktrix
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Wait until we are all driving EV, (or Hybrid combos) then tuning 'motors' may be more of a challenge. I'm sure there will be a market for improving motors... magnet upgrades and re-wiring kits.
HighlandPete
Along with £10000.00 fuses!
Previous BMW's owned in last 30 years: E30 C2 2.3 Alpina, E30 325i (multiples), E30 M3, E36 M3 x2, last one owned for 9 years. 11 years out, got an F36 4GC then Merc AMG C43 Coupe. Now Audi RS5 Sportback.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #24
Ice Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

Wait until we are all driving EV, (or Hybrid combos) then tuning 'motors' may be more of a challenge. I'm sure there will be a market for improving motors... magnet upgrades and re-wiring kits.

HighlandPete
It will be just like RC cars all over again just full size this time
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 01:05 PM   #25
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Do I need more power/torque ? Subjective / yes (punch-past overtaking capability).

Do I want more power / torque ?
Definitely (punch-past overtaking capability)

Am I free to spend money as I see fit ?
Absolutely, as long as it's legal.

Am I making a fashion statement ?
No, because I'm not a MaxPower tw@t with LEDs running along the underneath of my car or running a dustbin exhaust on a 1.4 Corsa.

People have their interests and passions; things that make them feel good. Mine's having a decent car with the dynamics and performance that suits my driving style.

If someone wants to tootle along in a modestly powered car, that's their choice. I choose not to join the sheeple and follow in a long line of cars. A big more oomph can be very useful Some form of remap is on the list, most likely PPK.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2015, 03:10 PM   #26
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
As plenty of wise people on here have said

I do it because I want to.

Will I use all the power torque and handling capabilities of my car- probably not.

Do I like to have the reserve - yes

Bottom line is its your car if remapping putting on spoilers black grilled etc etc makes you feel better then just do it and enjoy it. No further justification needed !!!!
      07-24-2015, 04:19 PM   #27
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

I think there is an element of "Built not bought". When I had my Impreza, there were people who bought WRXS and spent shedloads of cash upgrading them to make them as fast or faster than an STi. I often wondered why not just buy an STi in the first place. For some it was the bragging rights of having fitted a such and such twin scroll turbo or an uprated intercooler or customisable ECU.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 02:23 AM   #28
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris
Totally agree OP. I think a lot of 'standard' cars now are so powerful no need for engine maps.
What does this even mean? None of us needs half the power, but nothing about spending many hundreds of pounds per month on buying new cars is based in the true realms of need!

We all have more power/big engines/body kits/ M cars or whatever because we WANT them.

If someone doesn't feel any need for it then absolutely fine.... I, however, unreservedly love having a quick car. I've lived it ever since I was a kid... "Faster dad!" And I totally accept I'm a big kid now, and will likely remain so.

And also, the remap is usually significantly cheaper than the next engine up in any car range... So as car mods go... A bit of a bargain.
It's really clear what I mean, I've said it in one sentence, clearly and concisely.

Whether you agree with that or not is fine, I did not state it as fact purely an option of my own.

The OP has asked amongst other things if some people get engine maps as a trendy thing to do or to look a car expert. I think for many this is the case. I really don't think applies to you or many others in here, but my point was some will never use the 335i factory performance never mind the extra add ons. You seemed to almost have been offended by my answer but I think modern cars are plenty fast.

For the record too edits I am asked, do I get 10/10ths from my car, am I making it out every day. Am I heck! Do I like the notion and appearance of owning my first M as much as actually driving it. Quite probably and happy to declare that.

Happy driving Tengo and from your opening remark hope you weren't wound up from my answer. Ask me on another day and I might well give the opposite opinion myself! Forums
      07-25-2015, 02:32 AM   #29
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris View Post
It's really clear what I mean, I've said it in one sentence, clearly and concisely.

Whether you agree with that or not is fine, I did not state it as fact purely an option of my own.

The OP has asked amongst other things if some people get engine maps as a trendy thing to do or to look a car expert. I think for many this is the case. I really don't think applies to you or many others in here, but my point was some will never use the 335i factory performance never mind the extra add ons. You seemed to almost have been offended by my answer but I think modern cars are plenty fast.

For the record too edits I am asked, do I get 10/10ths from my car, am I making it out every day. Am I heck! Do I like the notion and appearance of owning my first M as much as actually driving it. Quite probably and happy to declare that.

Happy driving Tengo and from your opening remark hope you weren't wound up from my answer. Ask me on another day and I might well give the opposite opinion myself! Forums
I was surprised Chris that's all! More that you completely agreed, as I really don't think that's what you meant.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2015, 02:35 AM   #30
Randolph13
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Sport Shadow

I don't know about a petrol engine but I had my old 330D remapped and it increased the power at about 1,500rpm which made the driving experience far more pleasurable.

I don't think it is a fashion thing as there was nothing on the car to advertise the remap only the view of my tail lights after overtaking and then the other driver probably thought "bloody bmw driver"

As for my new 335D I am contemplating new springs to improve the handling but for warrantee reasons nothing else just yet.
Appreciate 0