F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Rear Brake Light Bulb
proTUNING Freaks

06-09-2018, 09:53 AM   #1
anderson87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Rear Brake Light Bulb

Hey guys... Simple question as I have a warning light saying rear right brake light malfunction which is accurate as I checked visually. The warning happened the other day but went away and the light worked when I checked. It showed back up last night so looks like I just need a new bulb.

Can you get a bulb anywhere as in any parts store or is the dealer parts desk the best bet?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #2
Andy2K
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Bulb can be picked up anywhere as long as it’s the same type.
The fact that the warning light came on and bulb was not functioning and started to function again might mean that it’s more than a bulb. I would start by replacing the bulb but also check the connectors to the bulb housing, somewhat common problem is on the drivers side the ground wire pin burns out. This is what happened to me a few months ago, I would periodically get the bulb failure msg then it stopped working all the time. I had to buy the bulb housing and new connector and has been good since, easy to replace but parts were bought at dealer approx $180 for all including bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 08:11 PM   #3
anderson87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2K View Post
Bulb can be picked up anywhere as long as itÂ’s the same type.
The fact that the warning light came on and bulb was not functioning and started to function again might mean that itÂ’s more than a bulb. I would start by replacing the bulb but also check the connectors to the bulb housing, somewhat common problem is on the drivers side the ground wire pin burns out. This is what happened to me a few months ago, I would periodically get the bulb failure msg then it stopped working all the time. I had to buy the bulb housing and new connector and has been good since, easy to replace but parts were bought at dealer approx $180 for all including bulbs.
Yes appears to be a bigger issue than just a bulb. Brake light and blinker on passenger side don't work. Took the tail lights out and swapped bulbs and the driver side worked with all bulbs. Looked at the connections further and appears he brown wire connection burnt/broke off. I will need a new socket panel which doesn't seem too bad.

Issue now is the harness coming from the car (female side) has the broke off connection in it. Does anyone know if i can just buy the connector which would just allow me to cut the old one right off and wire in the new one a few inches from the actual connector ?
Appreciate 0