F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Any Other High-Mileage 328d's Out There?
ARMA SPEED

10-24-2020, 08:24 AM   #353
VTMike
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 2.5

Update...

Transfer case got the all-clear from the dealer, but they said that current owner should have the EGR cooler taken care of. Pick-up now hoped for for Monday. As implied, car is with the dealership and I'm affirming that the whole vehicle was inspected/cleared as part of this.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 12:54 PM   #354
LuckyB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 328D

110k miles on my 16.
I put 90k of them on in 2 years.
No issues besides when my son put gas in it.
Egr was done by dealer.
The ac cuts out when it's rainy or humid. Been to the dealer 4 times and they can't figure it out
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 04:36 PM   #355
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328d Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTMike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by haagm58 View Post
You are more than qualified, then! Good luck, hopefully the inspection goes well otherwise your son will be walking his new wheels around for a bit. Joking, but this forum is a great resource for coding and diagnostics advice - BimmerCode and BimmerLink are great apps to start with and do not require monthly subscriptions (Carly is technically an annual subscription). Apologies if you know this already.
I read the subscription piece about Carly yesterday....and my preference would be to buy something outright.

Any advice on specifics?
BimmerCode or BimmerLink?
OBD adapter specifics?

I DID reach out to BimmerCode yesterday and their advice was OBDLink MX+

Hopefully getting this tomorrow (assuming the dealership has finished the transfer case work). Super-excited for my son. He's worked hard with his undergrad to get the internships and has saved his money...feels like a fun celebration of that.
Nice, sounds like you're well informed. In the photo are the apps I use. BimmerCode is just for coding, but it is powerful. Not a must have for everyone but it's useful and fun (but for your son, you might want to hold off on it until he's familiar with the car).

OBD Fusion is a free diagnostics app and is useful for reading and clearing codes and seeing virtual gauges.

BimmerLink is also for diagnostics, but can also open and close an exhaust flap (if you're running a single exhaust tip, there won't be a flap), turn ASD on and off (not every car has this), register a battery (this alone is worth buying the app if you're in need of a new battery), regenerating DPF (diesel only) and seeing virtual gauges.

I have a WiFi OBD adapter that works well (V Gate Pro), but the Ethernet to lightning cable works 5-10x faster and is the most reliable connection. It's really a personal preference, a pro for wireless is you can have your phone anywhere in the car and don't have to worry about a cord getting in the way.

Good luck and let us know if you have questions. Congrats to you and your son!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 11:15 AM   #356
VTMike
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 2.5

Quick update...
Picked up car from seller/dealer on Tuesday evening, including PPI through BMW dealer that did the warranty work. Check Engine came on while driving home. They nicked a vacuum line when installing the EGR cooler. Repaired Wednesday morning... Raised my blood pressure and made for a crazy-day for my wife, but not the end of the world.

We met our son to give him the car Wednesday afternoon. He's THRILLED. 40+ MPG driving back to school.
Bought him all-season BMW floor mats (didn't like the looks of the tan Weatherguard) and the wireless OBD plug-in. They'll be to him on Tuesday. Looks like OBD Fusion is now $10. Not sure whether to do that AND BimmerLink. I do see a number of free apps for the iPhone. Happy to hear advice on best-plan. Ultimately, I think that Bimerlink will make sense for us given the DPF functionality.

He picked up snow wheels (Pirelli Run-Flats on BMW rims ~ 4-series take-offs from a seller in the Boston area).

Next to-do will be to install his powered subwoofer. I've reached out to TechnicPNP re the harness folks talk about.

And he's getting it professionally detailed right at this moment by the top-rated detailer on greater Boston area (per Yelp). He's amazingly smitten with it all.
Appreciate 1
haagm58749.00

11-11-2020, 08:41 AM   #357
cezar22
Rep
Drives: 2016 328dX

161k. Am I the winner?

EDIT: Nope, dang y'all drive a lot.
Appreciate 0