F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Grinding noise from rear
Studio RSR

10-27-2020, 06:47 AM   #23
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

I have this same problem based on the description. A faint rubbing noise that the bmw tech can't even hear. Only at low speeds, and I hear it better with the windows up, it's so faint. It is definitely a rubbing noise of some type. It coincides with speed and is gone by even 30mph. There are a lot of possible culprits in this thread so I thought I'd bring this back around in case I'm not the only one.
      11-23-2020, 08:49 AM   #24
merlin99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post
Anyone know what a grinding noise from the rear right hand wheel could be?

Its linked to the wheel as its a recurring noise with a cyclical grinding noise.

I thought it was brake pads rubbing but after a good run the noise was there still.

Im thinking rear wheel bearing?
I am having an issue with grinding noise in my car but when flicking from drive to reserve and visa versa
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 07:14 PM   #25
Quantox
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440iGC, CQ, Ivory White, MPPSK

Yes, I had this too.

I thought it was the rear diff failing but it turned out to be the wife, singing to the kids.

Q
DrBall125.50
      12-22-2020, 11:26 AM   #26
Joeirl92
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' 435i 6MT ; 17'Z06 7MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by f32spaceship View Post
I have this same problem based on the description. A faint rubbing noise that the bmw tech can't even hear. Only at low speeds, and I hear it better with the windows up, it's so faint. It is definitely a rubbing noise of some type. It coincides with speed and is gone by even 30mph. There are a lot of possible culprits in this thread so I thought I'd bring this back around in case I'm not the only one.
The exact same thing happened to me yesterday. Very slow speeds, but when my car is coming to a stop (first gear mostly). If I'm not mistaken, it also happens during engine braking. I tried feathering the brake to see if that was the main culprit; sometimes I heard it, other times I didn't. Have you resolved the issue? I've read in this thread that the brake pads and rotors being replaced solved the issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 11:16 AM   #27
OvYdiu16
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDENDUSt86 View Post
I had a terrible noise coming from just above the drive shaft in the rear ,, specially when accelerating ,,, turned out to be a broken -Clip retainer- part number 34406854898 ,,, it holds the hand brake cable at the rear,, as soon as he started to take the heat shield off a small plastic part fell off, it was the remaining of the retainer,,,, I've ordered the thing but had to tie it till it arrives,, the mechanic tied it to the battery plastic cover ,, told me it is safe but won't last forever though,,, Once he saw a part of the drive shaft super clean he told ,e its the place where the cable hit the shaft so its clean in that spot,,, I will attach some pictures of the broken one (the right hand side) and the intact one (left) ,,,, hope it helps,,
THANK YOU A MILION TIMES! YOU JUST SAVED ME FROM SPENDING A FORTUNE ON A NEW DIFF! I went on a road trip today, everything went very smooth, we arrived at the destination and i parked on a slope; I was like "i`m gonna pull the handbrake, it`s been a while since i`ve pulled it" being an automatic, I just put it in park and that`s it, no handbrake because the wheel tends to lock up if the car sits for a longer period. When we left, everything went smooth for about the half of the journey....all of a sudden hell unleashed....when i accelerated there were a lot of clunks from the middle of the car, and when decelerating there was a grinding noise and a lot of metalic squeaks on the bends. Being and DIY-er and servicing/diagnosing my cars and also offering my services to others, I have a pretty well acquired experience...I told my GF that I`m 100% sure that is the rear diff and we need to prepare for a big bill. At my mother in law, I started to do some research and I FOUND YOUR POST!!! I was like, the chances for that to be the culprit are slim to 0, but wth. When I got home, I got changed and immediately went under the car. My GF was spinning one wheel and I was underneath...the diff was dead silent, the noise was coming from the middle of the car...when I unbolted the heat shield, a broken plastic retainer fell off, just like you described and just as you photos. Srsly, I cannot thank you enough! It was with you guys on this forum that I managed also to solve my NVLD (natural vacuum leak detection) problem last year. So again, A MILLION THANKS and I wish you the best of luck and a lot of health for you and your family!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 06:19 PM   #28
GOLDENDUSt86
Private
Egypt
Rep
Drives: f30 320i 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvYdiu16 View Post
THANK YOU A MILION TIMES! YOU JUST SAVED ME FROM SPENDING A FORTUNE ON A NEW DIFF! I went on a road trip today, everything went very smooth, we arrived at the destination and i parked on a slope; I was like "i`m gonna pull the handbrake, it`s been a while since i`ve pulled it" being an automatic, I just put it in park and that`s it, no handbrake because the wheel tends to lock up if the car sits for a longer period. When we left, everything went smooth for about the half of the journey....all of a sudden hell unleashed....when i accelerated there were a lot of clunks from the middle of the car, and when decelerating there was a grinding noise and a lot of metalic squeaks on the bends. Being and DIY-er and servicing/diagnosing my cars and also offering my services to others, I have a pretty well acquired experience...I told my GF that I`m 100% sure that is the rear diff and we need to prepare for a big bill. At my mother in law, I started to do some research and I FOUND YOUR POST!!! I was like, the chances for that to be the culprit are slim to 0, but wth. When I got home, I got changed and immediately went under the car. My GF was spinning one wheel and I was underneath...the diff was dead silent, the noise was coming from the middle of the car...when I unbolted the heat shield, a broken plastic retainer fell off, just like you described and just as you photos. Srsly, I cannot thank you enough! It was with you guys on this forum that I managed also to solve my NVLD (natural vacuum leak detection) problem last year. So again, A MILLION THANKS and I wish you the best of luck and a lot of health for you and your family!
Good you’ve figured it out, I’m happy that my experience had saved you time
I’ve fastened the cable with a zip tie till the oem part arrived and when arived I’ve replaced it.
HINT: to make sure the noise is coming from the hand brake cable hitting the , place your hand over the wheel well, I did that and felt the cable hitting the wheel well whenever the sound happened.
I found out that ECSTuning had a metal replacement for it 34406854898 , but it’s very expensive
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-aga-tool...a-pcc-854-898/
Appreciate 0