F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Any EIBACH SPRINGS on F30 335i X-DRIVE?
GetBMWParts

11-03-2020, 09:40 PM   #155
smak168
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i xdrive GC

Thank to the both of you.

Much appreciated.

Take care and stay safe.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 06:56 PM   #156
smak168
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks Johnung and FaRKle!

I followed your suggestions and followed FaRKle!'s DYI video. The install went super smooth and the outcome was just as I expected.
Appreciate 1
rcaso26331.00
      11-09-2020, 11:33 PM   #157
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smak168 View Post
Thanks Johnung and FaRKle!

I followed your suggestions and followed FaRKle!'s DYI video. The install went super smooth and the outcome was just as I expected.
Glad to hear it! Enjoy driving!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 11:24 PM   #158
smak168
Private
Canada
Rep

Just a quick pic of the results...super happy to have gotten rid of that xdrive gap.

Thanks again Johnung...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
johnung4512.00
      12-12-2020, 01:59 AM   #159
JRF30
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by maku View Post
I lowered my BMW 340i xDrive with adaptive suspension by Eibach Pro-Kit springs:
E10-20-031-05-22

That's how the car should leave the factory

Do you have just the springs fitted? Whats the ride like?
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2020, 02:01 AM   #160
JRF30
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
See here Eibach 05-22 kit on a 335 Xdrive.
Isit just springs you have fitted? What is the ride like?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 05:47 AM   #161
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF30 View Post
Isit just springs you have fitted? What is the ride like?
No full B12 kit.

Ride is good, very suited for fast and good roads. if your roads are shite, I wouldn't bother.

Im actually in the process to fit M4 Comp springs to my Bilstein B8 dampers to see if I can rise the height a bit
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 09:53 AM   #162
maku
Private
Rep
Drives: ///M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF30 View Post
Do you have just the springs fitted? Whats the ride like?
An Eibach Pro-Kit was installed which only includes lowering springs.
Car has adaptive suspension and while the for me it was a little too hard suspension,
there is no rocking in corners and no lifting of the front of the car when accelerating.
I do not mention the appropriate lowering that changes the car visually.
I thought a long time before wearing it and delayed unnecessarily, I recommend it to anyone who has xDrive

Appreciate 1
      12-17-2020, 05:20 AM   #163
gear21
Registered
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I am considering mildly lowering my F30 Xdrive using Eibach Pro-Kit Springs. It's a daily driver so I am looking for more control/cornering, not a big drop or a harsher ride. The kit for my car (E10-20-031-06-22) only lowers the front by 0.8 inch and the rear by 0.6 inch. Eibach claims that they are 10% stiffer than the stock springs. The next option, Dinan springs, would be more drastic at 30% stiffer with front and rear drops reported between 0.75 inch to 1.0 inch. Also considering new Koni Active FSD dampers, again for less body roll in cornering without adding harshness. Possibly H&R sway bars for the same reason. Any advice/comments are much appreciated.
I have the same question...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 09:25 AM   #164
henkinc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi MT

Don't forget a front strut bar and feedback re steering

I haven't pulled the plug on springs for my adaptive suspension 335 Xi bur am pondering it. I have non Run Flat tires of course. I just put on a front strut bar and it is a good ad. I would think useful for lowered cars also. On mine, which has the stock adaptive springs still, it gave a more solid feel on the highway, which is nice and also flattened the car and gave a bit more oversteer (or less understeer I should day) on cornering. Well worth the price. The steering remains the weak link.
How does the lowered car "feel" when the damn steering extra boost kicks in on hard lock?

Charlie
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 11:35 AM   #165
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gear21 View Post
Quote:
I am considering mildly lowering my F30 Xdrive using Eibach Pro-Kit Springs. It's a daily driver so I am looking for more control/cornering, not a big drop or a harsher ride. The kit for my car (E10-20-031-06-22) only lowers the front by 0.8 inch and the rear by 0.6 inch. Eibach claims that they are 10% stiffer than the stock springs. The next option, Dinan springs, would be more drastic at 30% stiffer with front and rear drops reported between 0.75 inch to 1.0 inch. Also considering new Koni Active FSD dampers, again for less body roll in cornering without adding harshness. Possibly H&R sway bars for the same reason. Any advice/comments are much appreciated.
I have the same question...
Haha, you are looking at a very old post of mine. Over two years ago I installed on my 2015 335i xDrive the following:

Koni Special Active struts/shocks
Eibach springs, F0.8", R0.6" drop
H&R Sway Bars

Plus several other suspension modifications
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #166
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkinc View Post
I haven't pulled the plug on springs for my adaptive suspension 335 Xi bur am pondering it. I have non Run Flat tires of course. I just put on a front strut bar and it is a good ad. I would think useful for lowered cars also. On mine, which has the stock adaptive springs still, it gave a more solid feel on the highway, which is nice and also flattened the car and gave a bit more oversteer (or less understeer I should day) on cornering. Well worth the price. The steering remains the weak link.
How does the lowered car "feel" when the damn steering extra boost kicks in on hard lock?

Charlie
Do you have an F30 335i xDrive or is yours an E-series chassis?

I'm assuming F30. IMO you are over thinking the spring decision a bit. Eibach xDrive springs (with -06 in the part number) are a no brainer. They are about 10% stiffer so they will add a little more control without harshness and they should drop front ~0.8" and rear ~0.6" to rod of some BMW inherent xDrive reverse rake.

If you are intent on going lower, some xDrive guys install the Eibachs meant for the RWD version of their car. Still a mild stiffness they drop lower. I can't recall exactly but roughly 1"-1.5" and should also get rid of some reverse rake.

H&R also has some springs but I believe that they are at least 30% stiffer so maybe that's what you want if tracking but maybe not for daily driving.

Your spring choice is not going to have a dramatic difference with your F3x steering. But I have a great solution. Replace your front thrust arms with these. It's an incredible difference. Steering becomes much more precise upon acceleration and upon braking without added Noise Vibration or Harshness. (NVH) You will feel a welcome addition of road feedback in the drivers hands at the steering wheel. No more numb steering feel!

Installation is straight forward. Just make sure to remove the big bushing mounted toward the center of the car first and the ball joint near the wheel next. It's a straight control arm swap. No messing with pressing bushings in and out. And it's completely stock in dimensions so no radical changes to your stock alignment specifications. Although it's always smart to get an alignment done after changing suspension components.

Also these work perfectly with xDrive. Other options aren't compatible with xDrive, they will actually break xDrive front driveshafts. There should be a Kies Motorsports YouTube channel video released in the next month or two.

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/coll...3603157?aff=22

Below is the part number to get if you have a F3x RWD car (since the stock xDrive and RWD thrust arms are slightly different)

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/coll...8819029?aff=22

Hope this helps!
JohnU
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 05:23 PM   #167
smak168
Private
Canada
Rep

Well put together maku ,

right down to the trunk lip spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 05:58 PM   #168
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

Quote:
...Your spring choice is not going to have a dramatic difference with your F3x steering. But I have a great solution. Replace your front thrust arms with these. It's an incredible difference. Steering becomes much more precise upon acceleration and upon braking without added Noise Vibration or Harshness. (NVH) You will feel a welcome addition of road feedback in the drivers hands at the steering wheel. No more numb steering feel!

Installation is straight forward. Just make sure to remove the big bushing mounted toward the center of the car first and the ball joint near the wheel next. It's a straight control arm swap. No messing with pressing bushings in and out. And it's completely stock in dimensions so no radical changes to your stock alignment specifications. Although it's always smart to get an alignment done after changing suspension components.

Also these work perfectly with xDrive. Other options aren't compatible with xDrive, they will actually break xDrive front driveshafts. There should be a Kies Motorsports YouTube channel video released in the next month or two.

Below is the part number to get if you have a F3x RWD car (since the stock xDrive and RWD thrust arms are slightly different)

Hope this helps!
JohnU
So are you saying this will improve my road feel on my xDrive with no other modifications? How can this be? What is it that a thrust control arm provides different that makes that big of an impact?

2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet Agate Grey/Black PDK
2019 440i M-Sport Smoke Topaz Metallic/Opel (Sold)
2014 335i M-Sport Black/Beige MPPK/MPE (Totaled)
2013 328i Sport xDrive Imperial Blue/Grey (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 08:08 AM   #169
spooned_n55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xdrive

I couldn’t find this info anywhere on this forum so wanted to post this.

After doing a lot of research between the 05/22 and 06/22 Eibach kit, it appears the only difference is the front springs.

E10-20-031-05-22 kit spring part numbers -

Front - F11-20-030-03-VA
Rear - F11-20-031-03-HA

E10-20-031-06-22 kit spring part numbers -

Front - F11-20-031-06-VA
Rear - F11-20-031-03-HA

So it seems the difference between these 2 kits is wether or not you want a slightly lower front, which matches the rear; or the slightly higher front (some reverse rake).

I personally have the 06/22 kit (most common in North America) and am wanting to swap the fronts to 05/22 (European version) as I don’t like the reverse rake.

Last edited by spooned_n55; 12-24-2020 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 06:28 AM   #170
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooned_n55 View Post
I couldn't find this info anywhere on this forum so wanted to post this.

After doing a lot of research between the 05/22 and 06/22 Eibach kit, it appears the only difference is the front springs.

E10-20-031-05-22 kit spring part numbers -

Front - F11-20-030-03-VA
Rear - F11-20-031-03-HA

E10-20-031-06-22 kit spring part numbers -

Front - F11-20-031-06-VA
Rear - F11-20-031-03-HA

So it seems the difference between these 2 kits is wether or not you want a slightly lower front, which matches the rear; or the slightly higher front (some reverse rake).

I personally have the 06/22 kit (most common in North America) and am wanting to swap the fronts to 05/22 (European version) as I don't like the reverse rake.
The Eibach "-06" kit is typically for F3x xDrive which is what it installed on my 2015 335i xDrive. It lowered it exactly as advertised: front 0.8" and rear 0.6". So it gets rid of some of BMW's xDrive reverse rake.

If I recall correctly the "-05" part number wasn't a European version for the xDrive. It was the part number used on RWD models. Remember that the RWD initial setup is different so whatever drop is published for them, doesn't mean that those springs would provide the same drop on an xDrive.

Note: The Eibach US website catalog is incomplete. I often go to the Eibach Germany website and choose for it to translate into English. It has a more complete list of what Eibach offers. Also I've discovered that Tunershop Germany website carries some part numbers not typically found in the US
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2020, 07:55 AM   #171
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
Quote:
...Your spring choice is not going to have a dramatic difference with your F3x steering. But I have a great solution. Replace your front thrust arms with these. It's an incredible difference. Steering becomes much more precise upon acceleration and upon braking without added Noise Vibration or Harshness. (NVH) You will feel a welcome addition of road feedback in the drivers hands at the steering wheel. No more numb steering feel!

Hope this helps!
JohnU
So are you saying this will improve my road feel on my xDrive with no other modifications? How can this be? What is it that a thrust control arm provides different that makes that big of an impact?
Great question! If you delve into the design of the F3x suspension, when the front wheels turn much of those forces go through the Upper Control Arms (also called Thrust Arms or Tension Struts. See photo.

The Thrust Arm is made up of three components: the ball joint on one end (where it bolts onto the front wheel hub), the aluminum body of the arm (which is purposely designed of a shape and material for crash safety) and the bushing on the other end that is bolted to an attachment point towards the center of the car.

That bushing is a giant piece of plastic with fluid filled chambers surrounded by an aluminum sleeve. BMW engineers designed this bushing to try to filter out Noise Vibration and Harshness from the road from being transmitted to the chassis. (I find that ironic because BMW caused a lot of that NVH by using runflat tires with their brutally stiff sidewalls.) One of the results was that the F3x steering feels incredibly numb and has too much play.

People incorrectly assume that the poor steering play and feel are originating from the steering system itself. Not so! The steering system does have adjustability which you can feel change when shifting from Comfort to Sport Mode. But most of the poor steering feel originates in the huge amount of play that BMW engineers designed into that huge front bushing.

Race suspension designers have known for decades that the way to get more control and precision is to ditch stock soft bushings with all of their play for harder polypropylene type bushings or even solid aluminum bushings. Solid bushings provide that needed race track control and precision but they have huge detrimental cost in massive amounts of NVH. They make your teeth rattle!

Guys often assume that anything used on a race car will make their street car better. This another example where that isn't true! A more solid bushing reduces the excess play in the directions that cause steering to improve. But they reduce clearance in all directions which negates the original purpose of that big fluid filled bushing- to prevent NVH from being transmitted to the cabin occupants.

Monoball bushing technology bridges that gap between the soft stock bushing and the more solid race bushing. The monoball reduces that excess clearance or play to dramatically improve steering. At the same time the monoball has freedom of movement in other directions to prevent NVH from being transmitted from the road to the chassis to the occupants.

F3x Thrust Arms with monoball bushings make the steering much more precise under both acceleration and under braking. Guys who track their cars on weekends with stock front bushings describe a bit of terror when trying to hold a line at high speed near an outside wall. Several have said that they never felt comfortable in their steering to get closer than 3-4 feet from a wall despite their driving instructor telling them that they had to get closer to the wall to find the best line.

Guys who have replaced their stock bushings with monoballs claim a much better weekend tracking experience. One guy said that his car now feels like he could hold a line just inches from the outer track wall.

I noticed the same thing. It feels like if there was a stack of dimes on the lane line I could just nick them if I wanted to when changing lanes.

There wasn't any additional NVH in the cabin. What is noticeable is that numb steering feel is gone. Now a nice bit of road feel is transmitted to the driver's hands through the steering wheel. Just as it should be.

Remember that "monoball" is a design type. It is NOT some off the shelf commodity product. Every monoball is different and there are negatives to most of the products out there. Some are really designed for racing and aren't sealed properly. They could be quickly destroyed by the dirt and grime of being installed on a daily driver. Others aren't designed for the slightly different spec needed by xDrive cars. Others aren't really to exact stock mounting spec so they affect stock alignment settings. Others haven't been designed and built to exacting standards. The tolerances inside these bearings can be measured within a thousandth of an inch. But they all haven't been built that way. There is a difference. If you take them apart and measure their guts with engineering level calipers, it's obvious that some design engineers just said "that's good enough, no one will know the difference" and moved on to their next project.

I did a lot of research. Below is a link to the monoball thrust arms that I installed on my F3x xDrive. They are the best that I have found. I'd expect that there will be a Kies video about them.

Below is the link to the F3x RWD Monoball Thrust Arms...

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
kpgray333.00
      12-25-2020, 09:03 AM   #172
spooned_n55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The Eibach "-06" kit is typically for F3x xDrive which is what it installed on my 2015 335i xDrive. It lowered it exactly as advertised: front 0.8" and rear 0.6". So it gets rid of some of BMW's xDrive reverse rake.

If I recall correctly the "-05" part number wasn't a European version for the xDrive. It was the part number used on RWD models. Remember that the RWD initial setup is different so whatever drop is published for them, doesn't mean that those springs would provide the same drop on an xDrive.

Note: The Eibach US website catalog is incomplete. I often go to the Eibach Germany website and choose for it to translate into English. It has a more complete list of what Eibach offers. Also I've discovered that Tunershop Germany website carries some part numbers not typically found in the US

The E10-20-031-05-22 is listed as fitting the f3x xdrive as well, I think you may be confusing it with the 02-22 kit which is listed for RWD applications.

Both 05/22 and 06/22 are listed for use on f3x xdrive. Difference (as far as I can see) is the front spring as well as the very slim availability of the 05/22 in North America.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 09:48 AM   #173
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

The E10-20-031-05-22 is listed as fitting the f3x xdrive as well, I think you may be confusing it with the 02-22 kit which is listed for RWD applications.

Both 05/22 and 06/22 are listed for use on f3x xdrive. Difference (as far as I can see) is the front spring as well as the very slim availability of the 05/22 in North America.
You are probably right on the part number, as I woke up and wrote that from memory without doublechecking . Do you have specs on those two front springs?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 12:24 PM   #174
spooned_n55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You are probably right on the part number, as I woke up and wrote that from memory without doublechecking . Do you have specs on those two front springs?
From what I can find - the FRONT springs -

06-22 axel load rating - 1095kg (listed for use with xdrive)
05-22 axel load rating - 1065kg (listed for use with xdrive)
02-22 axel load rating - 1020kg (listed for use with RWD)

06-22 springs sit the highest, giving a reverse-rake look - 05-22 and 02-22 seem to sit around the about the same heights from what I can see after looking at MANY pictures. Seem to give a more level overall look.

I have read a thread where someone stated the 05-22 front springs are VERY similar to the 06-22 spring in terms of characteristics, only it is slightly shorter which achieves the slightly more lowering.

In terms of REAR springs - Both xDrive sets 06-22 and 05-22 appear identical, listing F11-20-031-03-HA as the part number with 1310kg axel load rating.

The RWD 02-22 kit lists a different part number - F11-20-031-01-HA with a 1255kg axel load rating. I am not sure on the further differences of this part from the xDrive version.

This is about all I could dig up - unless someone else has more info to share
Appreciate 1
johnung4512.00
      12-25-2020, 02:07 PM   #175
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

Quote:

06-22 springs sit the highest, giving a reverse-rake look - 05-22 and 02-22 seem to sit around the about the same heights from what I can see after looking at MANY pictures. Seem to give a more level overall look.

I have read a thread where someone stated the 05-22 front springs are VERY similar to the 06-22 spring in terms of characteristics, only it is slightly shorter which achieves the slightly more lowering.

In terms of REAR springs - Both xDrive sets 06-22 and 05-22 appear identical, listing F11-20-031-03-HA as the part number with 1310kg axel load rating.

The RWD 02-22 kit lists a different part number - F11-20-031-01-HA with a 1255kg axel load rating. I am not sure on the further differences of this part from the xDrive version.

There’s actually quite a few post about those spring variants on the forum.

I have tested both. -05 & -06 springs.

My opinion I would not bother with -05 version as the car sits too low and it easily bottoms out. The springs just arent able for the weight of a 3.0 engine.

I have swapped later on to -06 which are marginally better, the height is negligible, but they are tiny bit stiffer due to higher payload rating.
Perfect for smooth roads, but on bumpy roads the springs will also fully compress. When I say compress, the coils actually touch each other on full stroke, which personally I think is unacceptable and Eibach clearly didnt do enough testing when it came choosing springs for Xdrive models.

In the other hand, the springs 05 and 06 work perfectly fine on 2.0 engines which are a lot lighter and they give very good ride performance and stiffness.

I also have BMW M4 CS springs to try out on my Xdrive, but to be honest they look almost identical to -06 Eibach, same size coils diameter and height. Im not sure about payload and rates.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 04:00 PM   #176
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

It may have been easier back in the day when guys who wanted lowering springs just pulled out a hack saw! Haha!
Appreciate 1