F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > KW Street Comfort Coilovers - Ride Quality
Extreme Powerhouse

01-25-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
rcaso26
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive

KW Street Comfort Coilovers - Ride Quality

I recently had KW street comfort coilovers installed on my 2015 328i xdrive to remove the huge wheel gap on the xdrive. While I really like the look of my car lowered, the ride quality isn't as great as I was expecting after shelling out for these coilovers. If I were to slightly increase the ride height, would that make the ride smoother? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
deadserial
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 320ix

How low do you have your vehicle. Ride quality is kind of subjective. Is it too stiff for your liking? The more travel you have in your suspension the softer the feel typically.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 10:41 AM   #3
rcaso26
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadserial View Post
How low do you have your vehicle. Ride quality is kind of subjective. Is it too stiff for your liking? The more travel you have in your suspension the softer the feel typically.
Low, but not slammed. See photo below
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-25-2019, 06:24 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

How many clicks did you dial in?

My previous car had KW Street Comfort coilovers. I selected KW recommended settings as a starting point and it was good enough for California roads.

EDIT: KW Street Comfort coilovers can be set at OEM height. There is enough room to increase suspension travel for NY roads. Did you install these by yourself or a shop performed the installation for you?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 09:41 AM   #5
rcaso26
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post

My previous car had KW Street Comfort coilovers. I selected KW recommended settings as a starting point and it was good enough for California roads.

EDIT: KW Street Comfort coilovers can be set at OEM height. There is enough room to increase suspension travel for NY roads. Did you install these by yourself or a shop performed the installation for you?
Hey thanks for the input I honestly don't know how many clicks or height I had a shop install. I may have a reputable suspension shop near me slightly increase the ride height and dial in the suspension correctly.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 09:51 AM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaso26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post

Hey thanks for the input I honestly don't know how many clicks or height I had a shop install. I may have a reputable suspension shop near me slightly increase the ride height and dial in the suspension correctly.
The shop should have asked you. :-) You are the driver.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 10:58 AM   #7
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

The street comforts, or StreetKomfort by Bilstein, both have a maximum height that is only 10mm lower than xdrive height. You have plenty of room. They will always be stiffer than stock from the jump. If you were expecting softer, then you won't find a coilover that you like. Go air. The exact height and comfort you want at the click of a button.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 3
      01-27-2019, 10:23 AM   #8
deadserial
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 320ix

Yeah, I would start by adjusting your dampers to a softer setting and maybe raising it up 1/2-3/4” and seeing how that feels to you.
Appreciate 1
rcaso26331.00
      01-29-2019, 08:52 AM   #9
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Don't raise it up Definitely try adjusting dampening first. Most of what you feel is through the front shocks, and you can adjust that yourself by popping the hood and removing the dust caps. Dial it back until it feels comfortable.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 2
rcaso26331.00
      01-29-2019, 04:36 PM   #10
rcaso26
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Don't raise it up Definitely try adjusting dampening first. Most of what you feel is through the front shocks, and you can adjust that yourself by popping the hood and removing the dust caps. Dial it back until it feels comfortable.
Thanks! That's very helpful.
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      02-16-2019, 09:02 AM   #11
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
Quote:
Absolutely do NOT raise it up - YET....

I have the same ones and I don't find the ride really that different from Stock...

I set mine to 7 (out of 16) initially.

Now I need to INCREASE the stiffness because I want it to handle a bit better.

I changed my fronts to 9 clicks, didn't really notice that too much.

The problem is that to adjust the rears, you need to REMOVE the shock because the adjustment is at the top of the shock, so this is a huge pain in the ass and you don't want to keep doing that because it costs roughly 1/2 hour of labour to have my mechanic do it for me. I am like you and had someone do it.

IF you want an almost near stock ride. Set them to 7 all round like I have (and others set to 8 and said the same - search my threads I have a review on it)

You can certainly adjust your fronts and try this. I would pop the hood, lift the dust boot, get your adjuster, go full clock wise (and count your clicks - do it slowly) and find out what you are set too. Then back it off counter clockwise until you get to 7. Leave the rears until you see if this helps.

Report back in. (subscribing).

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 2
      02-16-2019, 09:03 AM   #12
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaso26 View Post
Low, but not slammed. See photo below
I think your ride height is perfect. leave it.

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 1
rcaso26331.00
      02-16-2019, 10:10 AM   #13
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
Quote:

I have the same ones and I don't find the ride really that different from Stock...

The problem is that to adjust the rears, you need to REMOVE the shock because the adjustment is at the top of the shock, so this is a huge pain in the ass and you don't want to keep doing that because it costs roughly 1/2 hour of labour to have my mechanic do it for me. I am like you and had someone do it.

IF you want an almost near stock ride. Set them to 7 all round like I have (and others set to 8 and said the same - search my threads I have a review on it)

You can certainly adjust your fronts and try this. I would pop the hood, lift the dust boot, get your adjuster, go full clock wise (and count your clicks - do it slowly) and find out what you are set too. Then back it off counter clockwise until you get to 7. Leave the rears until you see if this helps.

Good tips right here. I had mine set to 9 and it was too stiff over bumps so I dialed it back to 7. While I'd like to think I'm a pro racer, in reality I drive 99.9% of the time in traffic on city roads that wouldn't look out of place in Aleppo.
I find 7/16 a nice balance for me and the car still corners very nicely.
Appreciate 1
DaFish157.50
      02-16-2019, 10:58 AM   #14
rcaso26
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks to everyone on this thread. My fronts were set to 11 so I dialed back to 7. Just took it for a quick drive and it is much smoother. Going to drive it all weekend then I'll report back. Thanks again you guys saved me a lot of $ and time having to go to a suspension shop.
Appreciate 3
kern4174446.50
DaFish157.50
      02-16-2019, 07:47 PM   #15
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:

I think you have it backwards, KW recommands 9 clicks open. The more clicks open (counter clockwise) the softer it gets. If you went from 7 clicks open to 9 clicks open, you should of made it stiffer and not softer.

http://docs.kwsuspension.de/ea-KWESSC-68578814.pdf
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 11:37 PM   #16
rcaso26
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
Quote:

I think you have it backwards, KW recommands 9 clicks open. The more clicks open (counter clockwise) the softer it gets. If you went from 7 clicks open to 9 clicks open, you should of made it stiffer and not softer.

I went counter clockwise all the way (completely soft) then went up 7 clicks.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 10:15 PM   #17
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT....: You have to remove the rear shocks to adjust their dampening rate? WTF??

I want to get these, but if that's the case, I'm not sure. Sounds like a major PITA.

The page below is indicating their a way to do it from the bottom of the rear shock:
https://www.kwsuspensions.net/produc...street_comfort
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 06:34 PM   #18
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesi View Post
WAIT, WAIT, WAIT....: You have to remove the rear shocks to adjust their dampening rate? WTF??

I want to get these, but if that's the case, I'm not sure. Sounds like a major PITA.

The page below is indicating their a way to do it from the bottom of the rear shock:
Rebound adjustment is on the top of the rear strut for V2's, V3's, and SC in F30 fitment. Remove wheel, 3 top hat bolts. Compress and rotate out top half of strut, adjust and replace. Takes me 10 minutes on each side.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 04:29 PM   #19
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
Quote:

Quote:

I wanted it stiffer

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 04:57 PM   #20
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Quote:

Rebound adjustment is on the top of the rear strut for V2's, V3's, and SC in F30 fitment. Remove wheel, 3 top hat bolts. Compress and rotate out top half of strut, adjust and replace. Takes me 10 minutes on each side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Quote:

My mechanic told me I had to have them removed! Sorry guys, and thanks for this, I need to adjust them.

Appreciate 1
      05-29-2019, 09:40 AM   #21
Rokoz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f80 M3

Does anyone get some noise in the front with these coils? I'm having some noise and I've had a hard time diagnosing the problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 03:16 PM   #22
chrismb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokoz View Post
Does anyone get some noise in the front with these coils? I'm having some noise and I've had a hard time diagnosing the problem.
did you ever figure out the noise problem?
Appreciate 0