F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M performance brakes making noise ?
proTUNING Freaks

04-04-2016, 03:05 PM   #45
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
Which are the factory rotors with the flat face? You mean non dimpled/slotted? That's the beauty of the rotors. I know if I use plain one won't make the noise. I spend $$$$ for the kit to get plain rotors now. Which ones are you using?
I will buy I guess different dimpled ones when these ones get wasted.
I'm using dimpled and slotted.
I live with the noise.

You can get the non-dimpled same diameter by Zimmerman.
I think BMW makes a non-dimpled version.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #46
Alano_Mpower
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by In4mation View Post
Anyone have experience with the M performance brakes making a constant fluttering/ticking noise while driving ?

The car is a 2013 335i msport with upgraded M performance brakes and there's a faint fluttering/ticking noise that comes from the drivers front wheel well. The noise can only be heard with the windows down and starts around 25 mph and is really loud when driven next to large road dividers and walls.

I tried to search for similar problems or solutions to no avail. Any help or suggestions would be gladly appreciated.
i have the exact same problem, bmw is shit car, and will never buy bmw again.

Will take it to dealer tomorrow i will keep you updated about this issue, fucking bmw

and let me ad at high speed like 120-120 km/h and press the brakes it humes, it gives a humming sound and vibrates as fuck like VOM VOM VOM

Last edited by Alano_Mpower; 04-13-2016 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 04:26 PM   #47
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alano_Mpower View Post

Will take it to dealer tomorrow i will keep you updated about this issue, fucking bmw

and let me ad at high speed like 120-120 km/h and press the brakes it humes, it gives a humming sound and vibrates as fuck like VOM VOM VOM
Is not an issue, did you read the entire thread. It is a common noise with all drilled/slotted rotors not just BMW/Brembos.
      04-14-2016, 07:15 PM   #48
Alano_Mpower
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry
Quote:

Is not an issue, did you read the entire thread. It is a common noise with all drilled/slotted rotors not just BMW/Brembos.
aha okej but is it the brakes ?? the sound iss there all time?? why??
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 10:33 AM   #49
yoandry
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes it is the brake rotors. As I said before these rotors are half drilled/slotted and when air pass through them will make that noise.
Yes the noise is there all the time but it is notable when passing next to wall or the median with the windows down., otherwise I can hear it. Annoying? Yes. That's why I will deal with the noise till the rotors need to be change, and get either drilled or slotted one who wont make that noise.
      04-15-2016, 05:43 PM   #50
Alano_Mpower
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes it is the brake rotors. As I said before these rotors are half drilled/slotted and when air pass through them will make that noise.
Yes the noise is there all the time but it is notable when passing next to wall or the median with the windows down., otherwise I can hear it. Annoying? Yes. That's why I will deal with the noise till the rotors need to be change, and get either drilled or slotted one who wont make that noise.
okey because i thought it was my steeribg system likethe front axel or cv or tires or something like that so it was all because they are dimpled and drilled....okey thanks for your reply, if i drill them all the way through will that make any differens?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 10:00 AM   #51
yoandry
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait View Post
do you guys have a sound also when moving really slow around parking lots while turning around ? hard hit sound from left and right too..
I did notice this one also, every time I go back and forward. Seems something lose and move both ways. It will happen just one time as it will stay that way till you go reverse or forward again. Did you get this solve?
      06-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #52
GeeZee_SKG
Enlisted Member
Greece
Rep
Drives: F20 118i (MY2011)

+1 with the issue of ticking/rustling sound.
Just got my MP BBK installed on my baby f20. Dimpled/slotted rotors. I will live with it like everybody else, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 03:14 AM   #53
lemonana
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i x328i Q7TDI

same problem here, gotta live with it, love the look of the rotor
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #54
MSportTune2
First Lieutenant
Aland Islands
Rep
Drives: F30 MSport

Quote:
Quote:
do you guys have a sound also when moving really slow around parking lots while turning around ? hard hit sound from left and right too..
I did notice this one also, every time I go back and forward. Seems something lose and move both ways. It will happen just one time as it will stay that way till you go reverse or forward again. Did you get this solve?
Check your front pads. It has too much play and hits against the caliper and cause the knocking sound. Mine has this from day 1 and I had it installed for few weeks only. It is more evident on forward and reverse motion at slow speeds. My bro who installed the same brakes 1 week apart do not have the sound. You can either live with it or take a chance and buy another set of pads with better tolerance and see if it fix the problem.
From what I gather here, it affects a few people here only.

I know a friend who is driving a Merc and had the same problem. Installed another set and the knocking sound gone so I am at two minds to spend $ or live with it as it is just annoying and don't seem to affect the braking.

I may try the brake grease suggestion but that seem like a bandaid fix and will recur again.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 05:08 PM   #55
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

Quote:
that clunk noise maybe your tpms sensor, i had that issue on my 750
      10-27-2019, 02:53 PM   #56
radoslavp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW 330i M-Sport G21

Hi guys,

I would like to share my story here.

I decided to go for the M-Performance brakes last year. Since I'm living in Germany and car has extended warranty I had to have them installed by authorised BMW dealership.

So immediately after leaving the BMW dealership I noticed that my brakes have all the fucking issues that members here report. I was so annoyed:

1. Ticking noise - after reaching 30km/h ticking noise was clearly heard from outside. At 80 km/h on the autobahn I could already hear the ticking noise in the car.
2. The bad clunk sound of loose brake pad every time I go back and then forward and vice versa (it is in above video)
3. When the weather was rainy - initial braking performance was bad, like having no brakes and on top of that there were always funky noises when going to complete stop
4. From time to time on a hot day the brakes would squeak although this has disappeared with time
5. the dreadful brake dust I won't even mention

I drove the car like that for nearly 1 year - 10k km and none of above changed/improved by a bit except point 4

During this year I bought a complete set of TRW Ceramic brake pads - numbers are GDB2031 and GDB2028, but they were always in the basement.

Long story short - I decided to change the pads today although I was very pessimistic because most of the issues have been somehow scientifically explained here as normal.

What I did and my observations were the following:

1. Original brake pads were made by JURID
2. They had no paste on them, there was only a small amount on the brake cylinders, the remaining surface of the brake pads had no paste at all - bravo BMW The paste was silver in color
3. When putting the TRW pads I applied Liqui Molly brake paste, that's the link to it: LIQUI MOLY 3077 Bremsen-Anti-Quietsch-Paste, 100 g
It is blue in color.
I applied liberal amount all over the back side of the pad and all the metal parts.
3. I applied some paste on the pins too (it also makes the pins slide in easier).

Nothing else special.

All installed and went for a test drive.

Wow what a difference! Somehow all of above issues were gone!!! Like gone gone!

No clunky sounds during stopping and during going backward and then forward.
No ticking noise - I was sure that above would be fixed, but was still expecting the ticking noise because of the dimpled brake disks. However the ticking noise is now completely gone.
Stopping performance is on another level compared to JURID, and the pads are still settling in. Initial bite is hard, changing the brake pedal force and feel.

I so far drove only 30 km with the new pads and was so happy of the result that I didn't want to go home.

I hope that all remains like that.

I'm not saying change of brake pads will remedy everything, but definitely try doing it and please do not install them like BMW does. Put enough paste.

Sorry for the long post, but the more information the better.

Last edited by radoslavp; 10-27-2019 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2019, 01:17 PM   #57
damman98
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i xdrive LCI

After 2 trips to the dealer and rides with 2 mechanics i realized that whoosh whoosh sound was just gonna be there forever.

Anyone make this go away with aftermarket parts? I'm about to do a pads and rotor job and looking for recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #58
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Yeah, brake paste. I remember all the comments about pad noise, clunks, etc. And then brake paste. I just use the CRC stuff in most US auto stores. Does wonders.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 12:44 AM   #59
bimmer4life223
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by In4mation View Post
Anyone have experience with the M performance brakes making a constant fluttering/ticking noise while driving ?

The car is a 2013 335i msport with upgraded M performance brakes and there's a faint fluttering/ticking noise that comes from the drivers front wheel well. The noise can only be heard with the windows down and starts around 25 mph and is really loud when driven next to large road dividers and walls.

I tried to search for similar problems or solutions to no avail. Any help or suggestions would be gladly appreciated.

Perhaps some close up pictures of your brakes could help us better identify the problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #60
sgimips
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 540d

I just got the M Performance brakes installed on my 2018 328d. So far no clicking/ticking noise of any kind. The brakes are completely silent and actually quieter than the stock brakes which used to generate a low hum under hard braking. I did opt to use BMW plain rotors all around instead of the slotted/dimpled rotors that come with the kit. No idea of those would have made noise. There were no fitment issues at all using the plain rotors.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 10:17 AM   #61
mechanicsinmotion
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Touring

Hello there,
I assume you made more kms with the car and can you confirm ticking issue disappeared completely?

I currently have same issue with brand new M-Performance Rotors & Pads which make me crazy!

I was wondering whether the space between Pads and Rotors can somehow be coded (or have to) when moving from M Sport to M Performance breaking system.

So to give some background.
I have a 2013 F31 335i with M-Sport breaking system from factory.
While rotors & Pads were dead (after 80000+ kms) I decided to install M-Performance Rotors & Pads. I kept same blue callipers as similar to M-Performance's except color.

Then ticking issue appeared. We did all what we could to try to eliminate this ticking noise (grease, chamfer, springs and guiding bolts change,...) w/o any success.

At this stage I was wondering whether someone found a solution:
• Shall we code something in the car to say I have M-Perf breaks (What I could read so far is that is M-Sport were already there from factory, no need to code anything)
• Shall we install kinda spacer to avoid the ticking issue
• Shall we change the callipers (despite I think M-Sport and M-Perf are similar)
• Shall we change just the Pads

Thank you for the time you spent reading this post.
-MiM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoslavp View Post
Hi guys,

I would like to share my story here.

I decided to go for the M-Performance brakes last year. Since I'm living in Germany and car has extended warranty I had to have them installed by authorised BMW dealership.

So immediately after leaving the BMW dealership I noticed that my brakes have all the fucking issues that members here report. I was so annoyed:

1. Ticking noise - after reaching 30km/h ticking noise was clearly heard from outside. At 80 km/h on the autobahn I could already hear the ticking noise in the car.
2. The bad clunk sound of loose brake pad every time I go back and then forward and vice versa (it is in above video)
3. When the weather was rainy - initial braking performance was bad, like having no brakes and on top of that there were always funky noises when going to complete stop
4. From time to time on a hot day the brakes would squeak although this has disappeared with time
5. the dreadful brake dust I won't even mention

I drove the car like that for nearly 1 year - 10k km and none of above changed/improved by a bit except point 4

During this year I bought a complete set of TRW Ceramic brake pads - numbers are GDB2031 and GDB2028, but they were always in the basement.

Long story short - I decided to change the pads today although I was very pessimistic because most of the issues have been somehow scientifically explained here as normal.

What I did and my observations were the following:

1. Original brake pads were made by JURID
2. They had no paste on them, there was only a small amount on the brake cylinders, the remaining surface of the brake pads had no paste at all - bravo BMW The paste was silver in color
3. When putting the TRW pads I applied Liqui Molly brake paste, that's the link to it: LIQUI MOLY 3077 Bremsen-Anti-Quietsch-Paste, 100 g
It is blue in color.
I applied liberal amount all over the back side of the pad and all the metal parts.
3. I applied some paste on the pins too (it also makes the pins slide in easier).

Nothing else special.

All installed and went for a test drive.

Wow what a difference! Somehow all of above issues were gone!!! Like gone gone!

No clunky sounds during stopping and during going backward and then forward.
No ticking noise - I was sure that above would be fixed, but was still expecting the ticking noise because of the dimpled brake disks. However the ticking noise is now completely gone.
Stopping performance is on another level compared to JURID, and the pads are still settling in. Initial bite is hard, changing the brake pedal force and feel.

I so far drove only 30 km with the new pads and was so happy of the result that I didn't want to go home.

I hope that all remains like that.

I'm not saying change of brake pads will remedy everything, but definitely try doing it and please do not install them like BMW does. Put enough paste.

Sorry for the long post, but the more information the better.

Last edited by mechanicsinmotion; 05-23-2020 at 02:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 09:43 AM   #62
GSband
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i (05/2013)

Hey,
My 335i (05/2013) was ordered with the standard brakes that didn't perform well enough. In 08/2015 I had the M-Performance brakes installed.
I also had these wooshing noises coming from the dimpled/slotted rotors. I did'nt mind that much, and anyway : BMW warns for mechanical noises coming form this M-Performance brake system.

However, I wasn't really happy with the brake's performance, still not good enough. I found a very informative web page about the F30's braking options here : https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-b...ke-Differences

After reading about the possibilties I decided to buy the Posi Quiet Brakepads (see attachment).
These pads not only give a better bite, but they also make less noise, and create less brake dust. The only noise that doesn't disappear is when braking.
I've done over 50000km/31000mls with these pads and they've still got some some distance in them, but the next set has already been bought.
I'm totally happy.
I hope this helps !

Cheers,
GSband
PS I have no interest in mentioned companies.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 04:41 AM   #63
ndshgyta
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:
M-terkait, i have the exact same problem with knocking.
Did you fixed it?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 02:58 PM   #64
mgc9991
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by _bdiddyb_ View Post
I used to have the m-sport brakes and noticed the clunking noise only initially going the opposite direction. No ticking noise, but they squeak like a freight train when cold. Then last week I installed these puppies, no more noise!

No I do not think that is brake noise. I had that on my 435i xdrive. When I brought in my car for service the dealer did a 150 pt inspection and said that one of the thrust arm bushings worn out. Luckily it was under warranty because its a $300 part with labor. Anyways if you are having clunking while backing in, its either a suspension bushing or something with your differential.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 10:02 PM   #65
Silvergram120i
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 120i

hello a few months ago I installed the big break kit m perfomance and they make a very strange noise that is killing me. I see your posts and I think it is the same noise, I hope you can help me. I leave you some videos.
Thanks you

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 04:17 AM   #66
Oscar Castillo
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergram120i View Post
hello a few months ago I installed the big break kit m perfomance and they make a very strange noise that is killing me. I see your posts and I think it is the same noise, I hope you can help me. I leave you some videos.
Thanks you

Same here. Had mine installed about a week ago.
Appreciate 0