F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Audi A4 vs BMW 3 series
GetBMWParts

04-03-2017, 03:12 PM   #111
oarnura
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandog View Post
at driving you nuts.

Pretty sure you can come up with a video that draws the opposite conclusion too.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #112
Shadycrew31
#1 Stunna
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive335 View Post
Apple is better anyway
I've never been a fan of apple, but that's not the point.

The point is that if you are offering a service you should cater to all clients not a niche market.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #113
fillipi82
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

Checkout the 5 reasons I love my BMW F30:
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 03:29 PM   #114
oarnura
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadycrew31 View Post
There are key items idrive is missing. That's all there is to it. Based on what you've present they are still missing. That's not a subjective opinion thats a factual statement.
Except support for Android Auto.. there isn't anything missing.

Quote:
My phones data plan, are you serious right now? LOL. My dataplan is going to be present regardless of my choice of car.
If you are using the Maps app from your phone you are consuming data. If you use the car's built in Nav you aren't. Many people don't have unlimited data plans. So yes if you want to compare costs. You have to factor in the Data used by Android Auto.

Quote:
The services you listed are part of the remote services pack which is already included and not part of the annual $50 connected drive service.
That $50 covers BMW Assist and Concierge. Does Google offer that with Android Auto. Can I talk to a human Concierge or will Google send me help if I get into and accident?

Quote:
Maybe I need to bold the text for you?

And in my opinion idrive in general feels half finished when compared to most other manufacturers.

My opinion based on using the older idrive and the older/newer mmi. idrive feels like they just stopped caring halfway into the UX process. MMI, MMI+, and MMI++ all have a very well designed and visually pleasing interface.

In your biased opinion.

Quote:
Also the A4/S4 does not have a touchpad as reviewed in the Q7.
That's because Audi copied BMW and put the touch pad on the Control Dial.

Quote:
These reviews are based on other peoples opinions, everyone has an opinion.
Yes they are opinions but reading them shows the authors use an open mind.

Bottom line is iDrive is better implemented than MMI ... end of story. If you think BMW is behind other manufacturers.. then Audi is even further behind with an over complicated interface. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Quote:
Does it still stay on the same page in the previous menu every time you reopen a tab?

Is this even English.. what does this mean?

Quote:
Does it still cost $200 annually, nav is free for the first 3 years so maybe its down to $150?
Just nav services don't cost $200 annually. The connected drive service offers far more than Android Auto ever will.

Quote:
Is there a full color LCD in the gauge cluster, displaying all relevant information and the ability to show you a map for navigation?
Yes the extended dash provides this. The 4 series LCI comes with a more elaborate digital dash.

While having Nav Maps is interesting in the Audi, it is entirely a gimmick because you have to take your eyes off the road to peer into the the Dash and look at a lot of information.

BMW does it by having directions on the HUD and the iDrive screen which allow for glancing at the road much quicker. Instrument clusters are meant for quick information glances.

Quote:
I don't think these have been addressed, but hey at least they have better looking icons now...
Yes they have .. if you bothered to fact check you would know these answers.

Last edited by oarnura; 04-03-2017 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #115
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oarnura View Post
Pretty sure you can come up with a video that draws the opposite conclusion too.
Would love to see a video of that.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #116
oarnura
Private
Rep

Quote:
My car doesn't support either Android Auto or Apple Car Play... You'll have to wait a while.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #117
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Quote:
I have tried them both and they are both garbage in my humble opinion. Such a Gimmick... I rather have the NAV in the car. I have CIC and with the connected app, even my outdated maps from four years ago I can find any place. The new Nav is nearly perfect. I do like google maps in the Audi, but its not a deal breaker. I rather have the cartoonish map that too much data on the screen.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 07:01 PM   #118
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGONXF30 View Post
I have tried them both and they are both garbage in my humble opinion. Such a Gimmick... I rather have the NAV in the car. I have CIC and with the connected app, even my outdated maps from four years ago I can find any place. The new Nav is nearly perfect. I do like google maps in the Audi, but its not a deal breaker. I rather have the cartoonish map that too much data on the screen.
I don't have much experience with either but Google Maps on my phone is my go to GPS. I find it so much superior than any built-in nav system as long as you have signal. and it doesn't cost $2000.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 08:27 PM   #119
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
at driving you nuts.

Lol. It's Google's world, we just live in it.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 08:38 PM   #120
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
I was originally comparing the A4 and a 335i. The 335i wins on performance.

When comparing a 328i and an A4 the A4 wins 100% of the time in my opinion. That was my original point and answer to the OP.
fixed that for you.
      04-04-2017, 05:57 AM   #121
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Quote:
I've tried it too...if you call that a gimmick, I guess my phone is a gimmick.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 01:57 PM   #122
Shadycrew31
#1 Stunna
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix

Quote:
Except support for Android Auto.. there isn't anything missing.
So its still missing?

Quote:
If you are using the Maps app from your phone you are consuming data. If you use the car's built in Nav you aren't. Many people don't have unlimited data plans. So yes if you want to compare costs. You have to factor in the Data used by Android Auto.
LOL...

Quote:
That $50 covers BMW Assist and Concierge. Does Google offer that with Android Auto. Can I talk to a human Concierge or will Google send me help if I get into and accident?
Concierge is not included... Guess I need to break it down again, I didn't include concierge in my original breakdown because its a useless service. Either way with android auto you can easily say, "Ok Google" and ask it any question you want.

Heres your new breakdown.

BMW concierge is $100/yr
BMW connected drive (with a very limited amount of apps)= $50/yr
Advanced real time traffic data = $50/yr
BMW North america map update = $100/yr

BMW package = $300/yr

Versus what a $10/month bump in your data plan. If you like throwing money all over the place I'll send you my paypal address.

Quote:
Yes they are opinions but reading them shows the authors use an open mind.

Bottom line is iDrive is better implemented than MMI ... end of story. If you think BMW is behind other manufacturers.. then Audi is even further behind with an over complicated interface. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Have you even been in a B9 audi yet? Its not a complicated interface at all, that one review of the Q7 was specific to the Q7.

Also any review will be biased its human nature and is the entire reason we have been arguing.

Quote:
Just nav services don't cost $200 annually. The connected drive service offers far more than Android Auto ever will.
Please tell me a service BMW connected drive has that android auto does not.

BMW concierge = $100/yr
Google assistant (much easier to use) with the most recent update you don't even need to press a button = Free

Android auto apps, plenty being added alreayd has way more than BMW = Free

Traffic data supplied by waze and crowdsourcing = Free.

Unlimited supply of map updates= Free.

Please keep in mind, Google will always win this battle they are continuously developing new features and interfacing with new apps. BMW will never keep up.

Quote:
Yes the extended dash provides this. The 4 series LCI comes with a more elaborate digital dash.

While having Nav Maps is interesting in the Audi, it is entirely a gimmick because you have to take your eyes off the road to peer into the the Dash and look at a lot of information.

BMW does it by having directions on the HUD and the iDrive screen which allow for glancing at the road much quicker. Instrument clusters are meant for quick information glances.
Lots of data = A blue line on a road. Got it...

No idea why looking at the dash versus the speedometer area is quicker. You aren't analyzing ancient text you are looking at a highlighted route...

There's a reason they started putting crap in the dash and its not a gimmick, though you seem to like that word.

Quote:
Yes they have .. if you bothered to fact check you would know these answers.
So it has android auto now, they just released it overnight?
Thers a full (size and color) LCD screen which displays everything the center dash does but in a much safer area to look at?
Still costs a ridiculous amount of money.
The menu still holds its tab/location when you close out and relaunch the menu, I find it terribly annoying.

^ No they haven't.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #123
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I have navigation and the HUD. Once I set the navigation I never look at the LCD screen. The HUD gives much better direction than one can get on the LCD screen and I don't have to look away from the windshield.

I am an apple user (Iphone 7plus, ipad) but if I can't get the info on the HUD, I wouldn't want Apple Carplay. I am spoiled by the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 03:38 PM   #124
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post

I have navigation and the HUD. Once I set the navigation I never look at the LCD screen. The HUD gives much better direction than one can get on the LCD screen and I don't have to look away from the windshield.

I am an apple user (Iphone 7plus, ipad) but if I can't get the info on the HUD, I wouldn't want Apple Carplay. I am spoiled by the HUD.
So are the people spoiled by the free superior Google Maps.
I wouldn't want CarPlay either because then you're stuck with Apple Maps.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 04:42 PM   #125
oarnura
Private
Rep

Quote:

Android auto apps, plenty being added alreayd has way more than BMW = Free

Traffic data supplied by waze and crowdsourcing = Free.

Unlimited supply of map updates= Free.

Pretty sure all those numbers are purely made up. All of that is included for 3 years.

Quote:
BMW concierge = $100/yr
Google assistant (much easier to use) with the most recent update you don't even need to press a button = Free
Not even close to the same thing.

Where is the BMW Assist? Show me the Android Auto equivalent.

Quote:
No idea why looking at the dash versus the speedometer area is quicker. You aren't analyzing ancient text you are looking at a highlighted route...
Android Auto with Google maps doesn't show up in the Virtual Cockpit.. Doh! So all of your costs comparisons with BMW Nav and Android Auto go out of the window right there.

So much technology Audi put in and the Virtual cockpit won't show google maps from Android Auto. What's the point? It is to make gullible fools argue about Audi tech superiority on BMW forums.

Quote:
There's a reason they started putting crap in the dash and its not a gimmick, though you seem to like that word.
I love the word gimmick it aptly describes what it needs too. Android Auto and Virtual cockpit.. two gimmicks in Audi's world that don't even work together.

Quote:
LOL...
Pretty much all of your post. Having Android Auto or not never swayed anyone from buying a $50K car.

Most of us are here because we bought BMWs by using the bit between our ears and making a choice. Clearly you didn't and bought the wrong car.

Last edited by oarnura; 04-04-2017 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 05:27 PM   #126
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't have much experience with either but Google Maps on my phone is my go to GPS. I find it so much superior than any built-in nav system as long as you have signal. and it doesn't cost $2000.
I do not find it superior. In some aspects I like google maps, in others I like the in dash systems. I have had an array of navigation systems. I like Pioneer the best, but the new BMW systems are pretty damn nice, possibly nicer that Pioneer. I still use CIC more so than google maps in my car (Phone). I have found that the BMW Connected App to have one wrong address. And while google is pretty powerful, the car's built in navigation despite the lack of updates its pretty nice.

Also for those complaining

A phone cost like 700 to 1000+ depending on what you get. If you update it every two years that gets pricey.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 05:30 PM   #127
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
I've tried it too...if you call that a gimmick, I guess my phone is a gimmick.
If you really think about it phone have a lot of gimmicks these days. I view mine as a tool, but in car connectivity these days is great without CarPlay or Android Auto.

Like I said there is nothing my Apple CarPlay can do that my old CIC cannot. The new systems are far beyond comprehension on what they can do compared to CIC.
Appreciate 1
AudiA4647.50
      04-04-2017, 08:53 PM   #128
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I wish BMW would do what Audi does and offer a DCT in the 340i as Audi does in the competing model.
BMW is nothing but praised for the ZF 8 speed so why would a DCT be needed. Do you want it solely to say you have it?
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 10:01 PM   #129
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Quote:
I do not find it superior. In some aspects I like google maps, in others I like the in dash systems. I have had an array of navigation systems. I like Pioneer the best, but the new BMW systems are pretty damn nice, possibly nicer that Pioneer. I still use CIC more so than google maps in my car (Phone). I have found that the BMW Connected App to have one wrong address. And while google is pretty powerful, the car's built in navigation despite the lack of updates its pretty nice.

Also for those complaining

A phone cost like 700 to 1000+ depending on what you get. If you update it every two years that gets pricey.
So if you get the built-in Nav you don't need to buy a phone.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #130
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Quote:
If you really think about it phone have a lot of gimmicks these days. I view mine as a tool, but in car connectivity these days is great without CarPlay or Android Auto.

Like I said there is nothing my Apple CarPlay can do that my old CIC cannot. The new systems are far beyond comprehension on what they can do compared to CIC.
Right it does everything CarPlay does at $2000 premium.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 10:09 PM   #131
fchen0125
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 435xi GC, 2020 X7-40i

To me BMW is timeless , Look at E30, E46 they are still very attractive compare to the same year of old Audi's. One thing I love about the BMWs is its simple but classic interior and their signature exteriors (kidney Grills ,Angel Lights etc ...) . Cars nowadays put too much fancy stuff inside and many of them isn't necessary or its cool in the beginning but usage to everyday user probably 5-10%. I still enjoys very much the Analog gauges over digital ones, It's just more connected to the car rather than feeling like driving in a video game .. Just my opinion
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 12:01 AM   #132
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I wish BMW would do what Audi does and offer a DCT in the 340i as Audi does in the competing model.
BMW is nothing but praised for the ZF 8 speed so why would a DCT be needed. Do you want it solely to say you have it?
I didn't think the DCT would be that much a faster shifter... but it is. That being said, the ZF 8 is still one of the best autos I had ever driven. If the 340i came with a DCT, I think that's a significantupgrade. If it doesn't, it's still one of the best autos in its class.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
AudiA4647.50