F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F36 Equipment Comparison
proTUNING Freaks

09-17-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
428iSoCal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i F32

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [0.00]
F36 Equipment Comparison

Hi all, just wanted to get opinions on some F36 equipment comparisons.
There are 2 2015 F36 435i Gran Coupe M package I am looking at.
First one has the VSS and Adaptive M Suspension as well as Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop/Go function. The second one has the standard M package with M suspension etc....

Is the VSS and Adaptive M suspension that much better than the standard M package suspension? Opinions please.

Thank you
Doug
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 01:13 PM   #2
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

VSS is a rather insignificant improvement, liked by some, disliked by others. Not a deal-breaker if you ask me.
The Adaptive M suspension however is a serious advantage over the standard M Suspension. More comfortable in "Comfort", stiffer in "Sport". The best of both worlds. I love it.

ACC - you either need it and could benefit from it or you don't. It is neat, but I barely use it. Heavily dependent on your driving style and routes.
      09-17-2019, 01:52 PM   #3
428iSoCal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
VSS is a rather insignificant improvement, liked by some, disliked by others. Not a deal-breaker if you ask me.
The Adaptive M suspension however is a serious advantage over the standard M Suspension. More comfortable in "Comfort", stiffer in "Sport". The best of both worlds. I love it.

ACC - you either need it and could benefit from it or you don't. It is neat, but I barely use it. Heavily dependent on your driving style and routes.
First off thank you for the input. I dont have a long commute so I guess ACC would be not as useful. Let me ask you this would you take HUD over ACC?

Got it, the adjust ability of the suspension is that good.

Thank you
Doug
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 02:15 PM   #4
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

HUD over ACC? I know what the majority here would answer...
To me however, HUD is not that big of a deal. Not in the F3x that is, as it has rather limited functionality. I don't really miss it when driving my other car, which has no HUD.

I use ACC so rarely however, that if I have to chose, I'd go with the HUD nevertheless... at least I can see it every time I drive If I did long commutes on boring roads/motorways where ACC can be used and would be an advantage - I'd go with the ACC.

Hope this makes some sense
      09-17-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 428iSoCal View Post
First one has the VSS and Adaptive M Suspension as well as Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop/Go function. The second one has the standard M package with M suspension etc....

Is the VSS and Adaptive M suspension that much better than the standard M package suspension? Opinions please.

Thank you
Doug
Personally I'd take VSS and adaptive over static M suspension, I have VSS and adaptive and I love it. Lowered on eibach springs.

If I had to pick between HUD and ACC I'd pick HUD, but ACC is really nice if you ever drive in traffic. You don't need ACC for long trips, normal cruise is fine for that. ACC really shines in slow moving traffic.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #6
428iSoCal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [0.00]
Quote:
HUD over ACC? I know what the majority here would answer...
To me however, HUD is not that big of a deal. Not in the F3x that is, as it has rather limited functionality. I don't really miss it when driving my other car, which has no HUD.

I use ACC so rarely however, that if I have to chose, I'd go with the HUD nevertheless... at least I can see it every time I drive If I did long commutes on boring roads/motorways where ACC can be used and would be an advantage - I'd go with the ACC.

Hope this makes some sense
Yes it makes sense, I think I would go that way as well. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 03:02 PM   #7
428iSoCal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyki View Post
Personally I'd take VSS and adaptive over static M suspension, I have VSS and adaptive and I love it. Lowered on eibach springs.

If I had to pick between HUD and ACC I'd pick HUD, but ACC is really nice if you ever drive in traffic. You don't need ACC for long trips, normal cruise is fine for that. ACC really shines in slow moving traffic.
Excellent, thanks for the input. Makes sense as well. I've got a choice to make now.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 04:49 PM   #8
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You don't need ACC for long trips, normal cruise is fine for that. ACC really shines in slow moving traffic.
I'd elaborate on that...
I used to think ACC would be good for Stop&Go traffic so that one can relax feet and leave it to the car to tag along. I was disappointed that this is not the case. If the car stops (for longer than 2-3 seconds at least?) it will not drive out again automatically. You need to hit the throttle every time. Which kind of kills any potential advantage of ACC in stop&go.

ACC is certainly bringing CC to the next level, but I sort of like driving my cars...
Don't get the whole hype about autonomous cars. We've had them for ages. They are called "Taxis"! And I'd rather call a taxi when I need it, than own a taxi.
      09-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #9
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
I'd elaborate on that...
I used to think ACC would be good for Stop&Go traffic so that one can relax feet and leave it to the car to tag along. I was disappointed that this is not the case. If the car stops (for longer than 2-3 seconds at least?) it will not drive out again automatically. You need to hit the throttle every time. Which kind of kills any potential advantage of ACC in stop&go.

ACC is certainly bringing CC to the next level, but I sort of like driving my cars...
Don't get the whole hype about autonomous cars. We've had them for ages. They are called "Taxis"! And I'd rather call a taxi when I need it, than own a taxi.
You can just click the 'Resume' button on your steering wheel to re-engage ACC after stopping, you don't need to use the pedal.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 01:10 AM   #10
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

That would not make the car drive off if standing, would it? Must try it.
Even so however, I was hoping it would just follow the traffic without constant interaction.
      09-18-2019, 02:50 AM   #11
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
That would not make the car drive off if standing, would it? Must try it.
Even so however, I was hoping it would just follow the traffic without constant interaction.
Yes it does, if ACC is engaged and the car comes to a stop on its own, when you see the lines start moving ahead on the dash you can click the button and it will move forward again. At least it does on my X5, I imagine it works the same way on 3 and 4 series.
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1879.00
      09-18-2019, 03:04 AM   #12
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks for that tip, I will try it next time. Fortunately I rarely get into Stop&Go, but it would be an advantage, instead of the pedal (which felt silly).
      09-18-2019, 05:48 PM   #13
simonelwell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05) 30d M Sport

ACC fabulous - on motorways it's great - maintains a safe distance and varies speed with the traffic / car in front. It's gonna notice the car in front slowing down much quicker than I will.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 06:22 PM   #14
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Yes it does, if ACC is engaged and the car comes to a stop on its own, when you see the lines start moving ahead on the dash you can click the button and it will move forward again. At least it does on my X5, I imagine it works the same way on 3 and 4 series.
I don’t have it on my BMW. However,I do have it on my Acura. It works the same way. If you stand still for a couple of seconds,just press the resume. While I like it on the hwy. ACC shines in stop and go traffic. I’m surprised more people don’t know about the stop and go part. As a matter of fact,even if you are standing still and you see traffic ahead. Press cruise. It will set as 25. Which you can increase. Then you don’t have to touch the gas at all.
I spent months looking for a convertible with ACC. I couldn’t find one.

Last edited by Elvisfan; 09-18-2019 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #15
428iSoCal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [0.00]
All great info, many thanks to everyone. I learned alot. Dont believe I will need it in present commute.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 05:13 PM   #16
DURSTTTT
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428iSoCal View Post

Thank you
Doug
My F31 335D has the adaptive suspension, it has to be said it is a day and night comparison from comfort to sport, the steering gets heavier, less roll in the suspension, it stiffens up a whole bunch too, personally I'd say its a great option to have!
Appreciate 0