F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Firehawk Indy 500 Tires
Studio RSR

04-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #89
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhenat0n View Post
I just ordered the Indy 500 in 245/40/r18 yesterday, will install them in the next few weeks. Mainly for an aesthetic reason, to have a more wider flush look (coming out of OEM 225's).

I saw a couple posts were you guys run spacers too? Why? Any cons?
Spacers give you a wider stance and is mainly for aesthetics. In most cases handling can be adversely affected because of the increases scrub radius and reduced spring rate effectiveness at the wheel which more than likely cancels out any traction benefits from being 20-30mm wider. I found that I did not like how spacers affected my F80 handling characteristics. They look great and make a big difference in the aesthetics and enjoyment of the car in that department but ideally, they should be run on the street and removed for high performance driving on a track. They are also restricted on some track days which should tell you something.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2019, 01:57 PM   #90
akhenat0n
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Spacers give you a wider stance and is mainly for aesthetics. In most cases handling can be adversely affected because of the increases scrub radius and reduced spring rate effectiveness at the wheel which more than likely cancels out any traction benefits from being 20-30mm wider. I found that I did not like how spacers affected my F80 handling characteristics. They look great and make a big difference in the aesthetics and enjoyment of the car in that department but ideally, they should be run on the street and removed for high performance driving on a track. They are also restricted on some track days which should tell you something.
Thank you!

I have a 320 sport line... I don't track or race and I am not looking for performance. Will it affect the handling at a point where I don't like to drive my car and feel it doesn't turn right or something?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #91
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you!

I have a 320 sport line... I don't track or race and I am not looking for performance. Will it affect the handling at a point where I don't like to drive my car and feel it doesn't turn right or something?
I had it on my F80 for canyon runs and did 77 laps at Willow Springs... while it wasn't as sharp with it, it was still very fun and driveable. Granted, I had aftermarket suspension which was slightly stiffer.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 01:26 AM   #92
wantafastone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Thank you!

I have these tires and they are "ok". They have a little bit of a squishy feeling to them. I got used to them now after a year or so so I'm not noticing it as much. The ride IS smooth, the grip is decent (but not better than more expensive products).
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 04:24 PM   #93
havesignals
Rep
Drives: 328d touring

have them, love them
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 11:25 AM   #94
kilogram
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive

I've had them for a couple years now on my supercharged 350Z, they're decent, especially for the price. Pretty progressive and audible on breakaway. They're basically the next generation of the Bridgestone RE760, which was a pretty good tire in itself. For the price, they're a pretty good consumable for track days. Not as sticky as the more expensive rubber, but they'll take a beating and last a while if you're not racing a clock.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 06:59 PM   #95
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv004 View Post
I bought my set on tirerack then had america's tire mount/balance and put back in car. Ironically I went to Firestone store first and even though this are the recommended sizes for stock, they did not want to mount their own brand of tires because they weren't RTFs.
I don't know if that's their policy or just a very anal manager.
The reason I did not do this is because IF I need an alignment, Firestone will do it when they mount tires, the America's Tires around me do not do alignment if needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 05:53 PM   #96
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMcCraw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
How much were they? Certainly, they won't drive as well as the PS4S, which is a Max Performance Tire while the FFI500 is only an Ultra High Performance Tire. I'm really impressed with the PS4S as well as the more affordable Continental ECS. At that price point though, it's hard to deny the FI500! Looking forward to you comparison at or near the limit!
They were 580$ shipped compared to 1200 for the PS4S lol.
I'm putting 500's on next week. If you compare Tire Rack with a Firestone store and assume the additional fees at the store (mounting, balancing, etc) is added to the tire rack price, the store comes out some $20 cheaper. So, why spend all the time & energy mounting yourself if you can get someone else to do it for less (or about the same)? The price from Tire Rack is $558, then add sales tax and installation (using the same charges for these costs as at Firestone) and the total is $725, the "out the door" price from Firestone is $707, and the Firestone store around here has NO issues with putting these tires on my 2017 440i convertible.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 04:31 PM   #97
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep

Firehawk 500's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMcCraw View Post
Just got my tires in the mail. Coming from Michelin PS4S. So far the tread looks awesome. Aggressive design and the sidewalls feel pretty stiff. This tire definitely runs wider than Michelin and Pirelli and Continental tires do. Much cheaper as well.
What series BMW ?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 05:23 PM   #98
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxtor View Post
Where do you guys get the Firehawk? My local tire stores either don't carry them, or they can't order them because they don't come in the 19" size I need. I don't think that's true as the other shop I contacted does sell them but won't mount them onto my car because they insist I need Y rated tires and the Firehawk is only W rated.
I think that's a bunch of bull. Why would you "have to" have a tire that allegedly says you can go up to 186?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #99
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckstr View Post
I think that's a bunch of bull. Why would you "have to" have a tire that allegedly says you can go up to 186?
You don't "have to" but as you will see if you read these tire threads, some shops/managers/etc will follow certain policies such as not deviating from OEM specification with respect to speed rating, load rating (e.g., XL vs. non-XL), non RFT vs. RFT, etc. One can only assume they are trying to limit their liability.

When i got my PS4S installed at Costco a couple of weeks ago, they called me right after they pulled the car in and asked me if i knew i was installing non RFTs in place of RFT. Of course i said yes (that's the point, lol) and they acted like i was crazy saying that i don't have a spare and would have to get the car towed if i got a flat, but they still proceeded with the install without a hassle.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 11:40 AM   #100
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
You don't "have to" but as you will see if you read these tire threads, some shops/managers/etc will follow certain policies such as not deviating from OEM specification with respect to speed rating, load rating (e.g., XL vs. non-XL), non RFT vs. RFT, etc. One can only assume they are trying to limit their liability.

When i got my PS4S installed at Costco a couple of weeks ago, they called me right after they pulled the car in and asked me if i knew i was installing non RFTs in place of RFT. Of course i said yes (that's the point, lol) and they acted like i was crazy saying that i don't have a spare and would have to get the car towed if i got a flat, but they still proceeded with the install without a hassle.
This is my biggest fear when my run-flats wear out and I move on to some better go-flat tires. Many of the chain tire stores and Costco in this area are really strict on load rating, speed rating, and size matching EXACTLY the OEM specs of the car...regardless if you are moving up to a more capable tire.

I'm hoping a couple local independent shops won't have any issues. If nothing else I'm pretty sure the speed shop which sponsors our local SCCA autocross events will do any tire work I need, but they are an hour drive away.
      02-19-2020, 12:42 PM   #101
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
This is my biggest fear when my run-flats wear out and I move on to some better go-flat tires. Many of the chain tire stores and Costco in this area are really strict on load rating, speed rating, and size matching EXACTLY the OEM specs of the car...regardless if you are moving up to a more capable tire.

I'm hoping a couple local independent shops won't have any issues. If nothing else I'm pretty sure the speed shop which sponsors our local SCCA autocross events will do any tire work I need, but they are an hour drive away.
You can read about the exact tires i selected in my thread here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9#post25761679

There were numerous options for different load rating, speed rating, etc, even within the same exact tire size. FWIW, i went from runflat to non-runflat and i also went to a non-OEM size (changed fronts from 225/40/19 to 245/35/19) and Costco installed them without issue. I think i went to a higher speed rating and load rating.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 01:01 PM   #102
rambleon84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 f34 GT 2013 Focus ST

Quote:
My shop just mentioned it as like a warning, like you are going from this to that, fyi (probably a cya lol.) I was like yeah, no problem I dont think the car can get above 168 any ways. I've never really an issue as i usually just drop the wheels/tires off and just tell them no rush, they arent installing them on the car and seem to not care as much. The benefit of having two sets.

Now back to the tires, I have them on two of my cars. They are more than fine for my GT. Ride quality and handling are both fine for what i do with the car. The price is real nice. On my other car, i will be getting something a bit more sticky as i break traction 1-3 with them. not worried about 1-2, thats going to happen but I want something that hangs on a bit more in 3rd.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 01:44 PM   #103
kilogram
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive

Quote:
I'm putting 500's on next week. If you compare Tire Rack with a Firestone store and assume the additional fees at the store (mounting, balancing, etc) is added to the tire rack price, the store comes out some $20 cheaper.
Remember to ask about the friends and family discount. It's been worth 15% a few times for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 07:17 PM   #104
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

And that's great to know that the folks at Costco notice a difference and contact you for confirmation. That's all I was trying to say, it's your car and you should be able to do what you want to/with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 12:36 PM   #105
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you!

I'd like to update my response to this. The adverse effects of spacers are minimal with reasonable widths. What will affect handling is changing the ratio of track width front to rear. You can change grip rotational characteristics this way. This is mostly for those who track their car and are going for PB lap times.

Appreciate 1
      02-22-2020, 09:50 AM   #106
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep

Indy 500's

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And that's great to know that the folks at Costco notice a difference and contact you for confirmation. That's all I was trying to say, it's your car and you should be able to do what you want to/with it.
Going in on Monday to have tires mounted (at Firestone store). As we have been discussing, the folks at the store seem to be concerned about replacing RFT's with non-RFT's, and have mentioned the issue of BMW having a problem with that. I politely responded by saying " this is MY car, not BMW's, and I can do whatever I please to the car. I do not remember signing something when I originally leased car that said after lease is up and I buy car (not through BMW Finance but through my Credit Union), I must get the permission of BMW to do anything to the car". They (the people at Firestone) wanted to know what I'll do if I get a flat on the non-RFT's, and I told them I will do the same thing I did before the advent of RFT's, I.e., call AAA and get towed to the nearest repair place.
I am now starting to think about whether or not there will be any issues with the TPMS. I guess I'll find out on Monday. Have a nice weekend.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 01:19 PM   #107
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Going in on Monday to have tires mounted (at Firestone store). As we have been discussing, the folks at the store seem to be concerned about replacing RFT's with non-RFT's, and have mentioned the issue of BMW having a problem with that. I politely responded by saying " this is MY car, not BMW's, and I can do whatever I please to the car. I do not remember signing something when I originally leased car that said after lease is up and I buy car (not through BMW Finance but through my Credit Union), I must get the permission of BMW to do anything to the car". They (the people at Firestone) wanted to know what I'll do if I get a flat on the non-RFT's, and I told them I will do the same thing I did before the advent of RFT's, I.e., call AAA and get towed to the nearest repair place.
I am now starting to think about whether or not there will be any issues with the TPMS. I guess I'll find out on Monday. Have a nice weekend.
FYI there are two other options for a flat, both posted on recent threads here:

1. The tire seal/plug kit. BMW M cars come with one OEM.

2. BMW OEM space saver spare, which fits over M brakes. IIRC it was around $350 (tire and wheel)

What are you worried about with TPMS? As far as i know mine were reused between my RFT and my PS4S when they were changed. Changing the tires should not affect the TPMS, unless you were saying you were concerned about what happens if you get a flat on a non RFT?

Last edited by thejeremyman9; 02-24-2020 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 11:54 PM   #108
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
FYI there are two other options for a flat, both posted on recent threads here:

1. The tire seal/plug kit. BMW M cars come with one OEM.

2. BMW OEM space saver spare, which fits over M brakes. IIRC it was around $350 (tire and wheel)

What are you worried about with TPMS? As far as i know mine were reused between my RFT and my PS4S when they were changed. Changing the tires should affect the TPMS, unless you were saying you were concerned about what happens if you get a flat on a non RFT?
Hi. I think ( hope) that you meant to say"changing from RFT's to non RFT's should not effect TPMS". My concern about TPMS was one triggered from some of the discussions on the forum ( things about frequencies, etc) and the fact that if there was an issue I'd be hesitant to go back to BMW for help ( even though I still have 10 months of warranty left) because I no longer have RFT's. Hopefully this is a non issue and just my paranoia.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #109
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hi. I think ( hope) that you meant to say"changing from RFT's to non RFT's should not effect TPMS". My concern about TPMS was one triggered from some of the discussions on the forum ( things about frequencies, etc) and the fact that if there was an issue I'd be hesitant to go back to BMW for help ( even though I still have 10 months of warranty left) because I no longer have RFT's. Hopefully this is a non issue and just my paranoia.
Yes, should NOT affect, sorry about that lol. You should be fine. When it actually comes time to switch the TPMS you do indeed need to make sure you get one that will sync with the car. But swapping just the tires and leaving the same TPMS will not affect that. The shop will just reset the TPMS through the iDrive when they mount and fill the new tires, and then you will need to drive a few miles to get the pressures to read out just like a normal reset.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 12:15 PM   #110
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, should NOT affect, sorry about that lol. You should be fine. When it actually comes time to switch the TPMS you do indeed need to make sure you get one that will sync with the car. But swapping just the tires and leaving the same TPMS will not affect that. The shop will just reset the TPMS through the iDrive when they mount and fill the new tires, and then you will need to drive a few miles to get the pressures to read out just like a normal reset.
Thanks. Sorry about spelling.
Appreciate 0