F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Help Regarding Finding the Correct TPMS
GetBMWParts

02-05-2020, 02:13 PM   #1
haqq777
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i xDrive

Help Regarding Finding the Correct TPMS

Hi guys,

New to the forum and needed your help. Apologies in advance if this isn't the right forum and hopefully admins can direct me to the right section then.

Anyway, well, my problem; searched all night last night but could not find a solution or an answer.

I am looking for set of TPMS for my 2014 320i xDrive as I want to swap wheels. I contacted t p m s .com and they asked me to confirm from my dealership the part/item number.

Now my dealership, I believe, gave me the wrong number. Apparently that is not something new as one of the threads here talked about it as well. Anyway, they told me the item number is 36106881890.

Now my question: Isn't that the newer TPMS? My car's manufacture date is 03/2014 so it is smack at the time they changed TPMS.

I have this as a reference;

http://www.thetpmsforum.com/showthre...the-difference

The item number provided to me corresponds to bottom pic. Now here is a picture of my tires stems:

As you can see, it looks like top picture from above link.

Really confused newbie here and would greatly appreciate any help you guys can give.

Best
haqq
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 07:00 AM   #2
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

I've sourced my sensors from https://www.rgsportshop.com/index.ph...tegory&path=62

Give them the last 7 of your VIN and they should square you away. from your photo, i'd say you have HUF and not VDO.
      02-06-2020, 08:53 AM   #3
blumagic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive , 2013 SHO

I got mine off ebay, gave them the VIN and i was good to go
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2020, 09:21 AM   #4
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by haqq777 View Post
Hi guys,

New to the forum and needed your help. Apologies in advance if this isn't the right forum and hopefully admins can direct me to the right section then.

Anyway, well, my problem; searched all night last night but could not find a solution or an answer.

I am looking for set of TPMS for my 2014 320i xDrive as I want to swap wheels. I contacted t p m s .com and they asked me to confirm from my dealership the part/item number.

Now my dealership, I believe, gave me the wrong number. Apparently that is not something new as one of the threads here talked about it as well. Anyway, they told me the item number is 36106881890.

Now my question: Isn't that the newer TPMS? My car's manufacture date is 03/2014 so it is smack at the time they changed TPMS.

I have this as a reference;

http://www.thetpmsforum.com/showthre...the-difference

The item number provided to me corresponds to bottom pic. Now here is a picture of my tires stems:

As you can see, it looks like top picture from above link.

Really confused newbie here and would greatly appreciate any help you guys can give.

Best
haqq
A BMW tech warned me two years ago when I got my first BMW to be careful if my build date is around a month that they changed things from any old part to a new part. He said you need to do a visual to see if you have the new part or the old part.

His pure speculation was that at the factory with its just-in-time inventory delivery system, that if they suddenly run out of a new part they prioritize keeping the line moving so they will an old part and slap it on your car to keep things moving. Who knows if that's the real story, but Where this is smoke there is often fire. I do believe that BMW does have issues with old part/new part. In your case with TPMS, I could see the factory having an oversupply of wheels & tires already mounted with old TPMS, etc.

You are doing all of the right things.

I needed a matching TPMS for the spare that I added to my '15 F3x 335ix with stock 18" 400M wheels. Gave TPMS dot com my VIN and they sent me the VDO TPMS which I believe is the newer one. I recall their website having a lot of information including visuals and color descriptions. Did you compare any of that to the description of your car's wheel stems to determine which TPMS you have?

Note: The wheel stem where air is added to your tires, is actually part of the TPMS unit so you may be able to tell visually from looking carefully at that.

Have you checked realoem website with your VIN to see which part number they say?

Also check the GetBMWParts website with your VIN and send them an email with your VIN. They've been helpful to me. They are an actual BMW dealer in Maryland so you are actually talking with the dedicated Internet parts people at a dealership.

Also TireRack sells a ton of TPMS separately and pre-mounted on wheels/tires. They must hit this issue constantly. Give them your VIN and ask them visually how you can tell which TPMS you need.

Good luck! Hope this is helpful!
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
haqq777
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
A BMW tech warned me two years ago when I got my first BMW to be careful if my build date is around a month that they changed things from any old part to a new part. He said you need to do a visual to see if you have the new part or the old part.

His pure speculation was that at the factory with its just-in-time inventory delivery system, that if they suddenly run out of a new part they prioritize keeping the line moving so they will an old part and slap it on your car to keep things moving. Who knows if that's the real story, but Where this is smoke there is often fire. I do believe that BMW does have issues with old part/new part. In your case with TPMS, I could see the factory having an oversupply of wheels & tires already mounted with old TPMS, etc.

You are doing all of the right things.

I needed a matching TPMS for the spare that I added to my '15 F3x 335ix with stock 18" 400M wheels. Gave TPMS dot com my VIN and they sent me the VDO TPMS which I believe is the newer one. I recall their website having a lot of information including visuals and color descriptions. Did you compare any of that to the description of your car's wheel stems to determine which TPMS you have?

Note: The wheel stem where air is added to your tires, is actually part of the TPMS unit so you may be able to tell visually from looking carefully at that.

Have you checked realoem website with your VIN to see which part number they say?

Also check the GetBMWParts website with your VIN and send them an email with your VIN. They've been helpful to me. They are an actual BMW dealer in Maryland so you are actually talking with the dedicated Internet parts people at a dealership.

Also TireRack sells a ton of TPMS separately and pre-mounted on wheels/tires. They must hit this issue constantly. Give them your VIN and ask them visually how you can tell which TPMS you need.

Good luck! Hope this is helpful!
Thank you very much for the detailed reply, John. Very helpful indeed.

I agree, it does sound like there is some parts issue here.

I contacted TPMS dot com and they replied asking for last seven of my VIN. I gave them that yesterday but have not heard back from them yet. Their pictures and descriptions tell me I have the older HUF and not the newer VDO version.

Now interestingly enough, my BMW dealership asked for last seven of the VIN as well when I contacted them yesterday to get me the part number, and the number they provided actually matches the newer part.

So in short, dealership gave me part number that is for newer TPMS (VDO), but pictures and visual inspection of my car stem, according to TPMS dot com, shows me I have older HUF.

I have some 400M wheels with TPMS on the way that came off a 2016 340i. I will put them on my 2014 320i and see if they work. If not, I am guessing I will have to get the older TPMS.

I will also contact GetBMWParts and TireRack like you suggested, and see if they can help me further identify the issue.

Regards,
Haqq
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 10:15 AM   #6
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

you have huf.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      02-06-2020, 11:27 AM   #7
haqq777
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
you have huf.
Thank you! My caps definitely say "Alligator Germany".
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2020, 01:03 PM   #8
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by haqq777 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
you have huf.
Thank you! My caps definitely say "Alligator Germany".
The Hawaiian Surfer Dude is always right!
Appreciate 2
      02-12-2020, 04:29 PM   #9
lf1343
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

hello. anyone know if i can program id TPMS sensors on ECU with E-sys ?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0