F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Balls! 89 in a 60!
Extreme Powerhouse

11-29-2018, 02:14 AM   #111
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan4 View Post
is anyone else utterly fed up with the totalitarian, nanny state that we call England these days?
As my contributions on other threads probably show, I'm pretty fed-up with the way the enforcement of speed limits has gone. Technology isn't really being used to target high risk areas and accident blackspots, it's more being used to enforce arbitrary limits some of which, like the proverbial broken clock, are probably only right a couple of times a day. It also annoys me that the enthusiasm for detecting and pursuing speeding offenders doesn't seem to be matched when it comes to solving some other crimes although I do accept catching speeding motorists is easier.

However, I've reluctantly resigned myself to the fact this is the way it is and as the use of technology is extended it's only going to get worse. I therefore find myself sticking to something close to the speed limit most of the time and only go over by a significant margin if I'm reasonably confident I won't be caught.

The reality is the authorities don't want people to have fun driving on public roads - they think you should be on a track for that - and there seems to be more and more of the general population who agree with them. I assume for these people the arrival of driverless cars can't come soon enough......
Appreciate 3
      11-29-2018, 02:53 AM   #112
Stoo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
So who's in for a 316d ??
You joke.

I sold my 435d back to the dealer on Tuesday. Took a £6k negative equity hit too.

Bought a Scirocci TDI DSG instead.

The problem with the 35d.... frustratingly sitting behind somebody doing 60mph in the outside lane of the m5 and then accelerating once they have pulled into the middle lane. Well into triple figures before you realise how fast you’re actually travelling. Then the flash happened.

I got caught by the new yellow boxes on the side of the gantry. Not the older style over the lane gantry cameras.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 04:02 AM   #113
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Recently caught at 65mph in 50mph average speed check area A3 towards London. Mind must have been totally elsewhere as didn't clock it at all.

£100 and 3 points, no offer of Speed Awareness Course. Think I was 1mph too fast for that.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 04:13 AM   #114
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
I sold my 435d back to the dealer on Tuesday. Took a £6k negative equity hit too.

Bought a Scirocci TDI DSG instead.

The problem with the 35d.... frustratingly sitting behind somebody doing 60mph in the outside lane of the m5 and then accelerating once they have pulled into the middle lane. Well into triple figures before you realise how fast you’re actually travelling. Then the flash happened.

I got caught by the new yellow boxes on the side of the gantry. Not the older style over the lane gantry cameras.
I sort of understanding your reasoning but that smacks of throwing the baby out with the bath water to me.....
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 06:07 AM   #115
Stoo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
I sort of understanding your reasoning but that smacks of throwing the baby out with the bath water to me.....
Not when it also needs 4 tyre, a major service and a warranty.

That and insuring the thing with 6, maybe 12 points or a ban and a Birmingham postcode... it was £1250 without any points last year!

Believe me, I didn’t want to get rid.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 07:26 AM   #116
nascot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:

They're an absolute bugger if you don't know they're there. I do quite a lot driving on the M25 and these things are becoming more and more common. They do seem to go off randomly though, no way do they catch everyone going over the speed limit.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 07:49 AM   #117
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Not sure if I was caught by a camera van the other day. After allowing for what my speedo over reads by (3mph) I reckon I was going 45 or 46 in a 40 when I went round the bend and saw the Van. They do use the 10%+2 guidelines round my way, so I'm right on the cusp of whether or not I get a NIP.
My own fault, I know there's sometimes a van parked in that location, but had something on my mind and I wasn't driving along looking at the speedo.
Have to wait and see how lucky I am now, but if it was 46 I should get offered a speed awareness course for £85, as I'm on zero points and have never done an awareness course.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 07:57 AM   #118
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:

Mine has one of the newer proportional accelerators fitted - the harder you press, the more it accelerates. You must have one of the older on/off accelerators
Appreciate 3
harvs43113.00
TaranF32129.50
      11-29-2018, 08:11 AM   #119
Stoo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Mine has one of the newer proportional accelerators fitted - the harder you press, the more it accelerates. You must have one of the older on/off accelerators
I think that was an option I forgot to tick.
Appreciate 1
JD64215.00
      11-29-2018, 10:47 AM   #120
Hanchurch
Captain
Rep
Drives: tesla model 3 performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Quote:

Mine defiantly has one of them!
Past - Mini Cooper S 7 5 door, BMW 120d m sport, Saab 9-3 2.8 V6 turbo, Mazda RX8 231, Mini Cooper S
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 08:24 AM   #121
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

Quote:
still no news!
Any news yet......????
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 08:54 AM   #122
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Victor1 View Post
Quote:
still no news!
Any news yet......????
nope! filing court papers I think! let's see.

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 10:11 AM   #123
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Not sure if I was caught by a camera van the other day. After allowing for what my speedo over reads by (3mph) I reckon I was going 45 or 46 in a 40 when I went round the bend and saw the Van. They do use the 10%+2 guidelines round my way, so I'm right on the cusp of whether or not I get a NIP.
My own fault, I know there's sometimes a van parked in that location, but had something on my mind and I wasn't driving along looking at the speedo.
Have to wait and see how lucky I am now, but if it was 46 I should get offered a speed awareness course for £85, as I'm on zero points and have never done an awareness course.
On the plus side .. I never received a NIP
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 02:24 AM   #124
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

It's sad reading the state of affairs back in the UK. It's not exactly wonderful out here. When the Nevada Highway Patrol (NHP) get grumpy, there's some things to remember.

1) 5 mph over is keeping up with traffic
2) 10 over is speeding, and you will get a ticket. NHP only issue warnings when they are about to shoot.
3) 100 mph+ means a trip to jail.
4) Impound fees are a bitch.
5) Cruise control is your friend.

The above applies in and out of the city, sometimes more so outside. You see, rural Nevada has the highest rates of single vehicle crashes probably anywhere in the US. I suppose that continually stopping to break out the knife and plastic bag yet again to scrape up the latest drunk or inattentive driver gets NHP cranky after a bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 06:05 AM   #125
nascot
First Lieutenant
Rep

For anyone planning on travelling on the A41 between Tring and Watford today take it easy. BCH police have been busy pulling over a few speeders.

https://twitter.com/roadpoliceBCH
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 03:05 PM   #126
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascot View Post
For anyone planning on travelling on the A41 between Tring and Watford today take it easy. BCH police have been busy pulling over a few speeders.

I noticed that as it's over my neck of the woods. Shame, that's normally one of the roads you can safely stretch your legs on.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #127
nascot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bb0 View Post
I noticed that as it's over my neck of the woods. Shame, that's normally one of the roads you can safely stretch your legs on.
They're STILL out and still pulling over speeders. 4 days on the trot now. All seem to be +90 MPH so better to be safe and stay well under that.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 10:16 AM   #128
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bb0 View Post
I used to live in Berko and drive that stretch every day... the most fun dual carraigeway I can think of! About 3 years ago I got pulled over coming up the hill from the M25 roundabout in my 335d, not realising I had an unmarked car behind me. Thankfully, they pulled me over before I got to a silly speed, and then asked me what engine it had as I'd left them for dead!

I got a little telling off and then they let me go. Felt like one of the luckiest days of my life that's for sure.

It's such an obvious road to catch speeders on, and always surprised they didn't make more effort previously, especially as it does seem to have more than it's fair share of accidents.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #129
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Orange F33 435dx Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
On the plus side .. I never received a NIP
If you don't receive a NIP in 14 days then you could be in the clear.
I was caught back in 2007 and didn't receive my NIP till day 15. Checked the post date stamp on the back of the envelope and it hadn't been posted in time to arrive within 14 days. Wrote back to the Police (Wales) and they agreed so NIP cancelled! Happy day for old Fuzzy, it was drinky poos all round!
      01-04-2019, 11:55 AM   #130
Skwirrel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I used to live in Berko and drive that stretch every day... the most fun dual carraigeway I can think of! About 3 years ago I got pulled over coming up the hill from the M25 roundabout in my 335d, not realising I had an unmarked car behind me. Thankfully, they pulled me over before I got to a silly speed, and then asked me what engine it had as I'd left them for dead!

I got a little telling off and then they let me go. Felt like one of the luckiest days of my life that's for sure.

It's such an obvious road to catch speeders on, and always surprised they didn't make more effort previously, especially as it does seem to have more than it's fair share of accidents.
I live in at the next town along and used to travel the A41 every day for the best part of 10 years. The closest I have ever come to being caught speeding was on this road. Following a car doing 70 from the M25 to the Berkhamsted/Chesham turning (about 8 miles) and then gunning it on the long straight to Tring when they finally pulled over, only to see some blue lights in the Mondeo grill (some distance) behind me.

It must have been my lucky day as I slowed to 70, pulled in and got a long stare and a finger wag from the driver on board. Definately a brown trouser moment...

I have seen a good number of people pulled on this road over the years, either from an unmarked car waiting in the laybys or from a marked car sitting out of sight on the bridge above the slip roads at Tring. Thames Valley Police also use the A41 as one of their routes for pursuit driver training precisely because it is such a fast and relatively lightly trafficked road during the day time.

It's a fast road for sure, just keep your eyes peeled if you want to put your foot down.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #131
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybunny View Post
If you don't receive a NIP in 14 days then you could be in the clear.
I was caught back in 2007 and didn't receive my NIP till day 15. Checked the post date stamp on the back of the envelope and it hadn't been posted in time to arrive within 14 days. Wrote back to the Police (Wales) and they agreed so NIP cancelled! Happy day for old Fuzzy, it was drinky poos all round!
Oh I'm well in the clear with the 14 days, it's been 5 weeks now

I was fairly sure I was going 46 though in a 40 (which is 10%+2), the speedo looked like it was at around 49mph when I saw the van after going round the slight bend. I've checked it again with gps and 49 on the speedo is definitely 46 in my car.
I Must have been going 1mph lower I guess or the operator was cracking one off in the van at the time and I got lucky
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #132
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Band B so:

Disqualify 7-28 days OR 4-6 points
100% of relevant weekly income