F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > best option to lower a bit 435 GC
GetBMWParts

09-16-2019, 02:57 PM   #1
sebaNYC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i GC

best option to lower a bit 435 GC

i have a 435 GC m-sport, i want to lower a bit to reduce the gap, on my previous e90 i had Koni yellows and H&R Sport springs, looks great but the ride...... really bad, super hard, especially with the shitty road here in MA.

Whats the best option (look and ride) to lower the 435???

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 02:23 PM   #2
anielsen71
Major
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebaNYC View Post
i have a 435 GC m-sport, i want to lower a bit to reduce the gap, on my previous e90 i had Koni yellows and H&R Sport springs, looks great but the ride...... really bad, super hard, especially with the shitty road here in MA.

Thanks!
AC Schnitzer lowering springs.
Same comfort as OEM and lowered just enough to look good.

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 06:47 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:

Thanks!
Does your car have M Sport (static) or M Adaptive suspension?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #4
sebaNYC
Lieutenant
Rep

cfm56d7b i have no clue, how can i check that?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 09:37 AM   #5
sebaNYC
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks anielsen71
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #6
anielsen71
Major
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
cfm56d7b i have no clue, how can i check that?
Check your VIN through a VIN decoder to be sure.
Or go for a ride where you test in comfort and sport setting.
You should be able to feel the stiffer ride in sport. Mine is equipped with adaptive dampers.
Is a must for me after having a E91 with Bilstein B16 IRC coilovers.

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #7
sebaNYC
Lieutenant
Rep

anielsen71 i found it, yes i do have Adaptative M suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 01:18 PM   #8
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
I have the eibach pro kit on my 435 with the adaptive suspension and x-drive, the drop is mild but noticeable, and the handling is somewhat stiffer but not overly so. I also changed out the bump stops. I've been meaning to take a picture since I did it but I haven't had a chance with good weather yet (in the Seattle area).
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #9
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

anielsen71, thanks for confirming that your car had M Adaptive suspension.

Having driven in Boston area for quite some time, I agree with you that roads in MA leave to be desired.

Comfortable ride is a function of three things:

- Suspension travel has to be sufficient to accommodate road imperfections
- Compression cycle has to occur quickly enough to allow the shock to absorb the road imperfection without lifting the vehicle
- Rebound cycle has to occur quickly enough to plant the wheel on the road surface and maintain the suspension geometry

This is a topic where "your mileage may vary" applies more than any other descriptor.

Most lowering springs provide one outcome. Either you like it or you don't. There are no tuning options.

Unfortunately, the goals of lowering the vehicle and maintaining comfort are on the opposite sides of each other. Something is needed between these opposing goals.

The answer is coilovers with individually adjustable compression and rebound controls which also allow to maintain OEM suspension height or close to it.

Even in bad road conditions, these coilovers combined with non run flat tires and 19" wheels provide sufficient tuning range to find the right comfort zone for the driver.

Caveat: the cost of coilovers + non run flat tires. M Adaptive suspension functionality will have to be either code out or canceled via EDC Delete module (preferred approach).
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 02:05 PM   #10
anielsen71
Major
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post

Having driven in Boston area for quite some time, I agree with you that roads in MA leave to be desired.

- Compression cycle has to occur quickly enough to allow the shock to absorb the road imperfection without lifting the vehicle
- Rebound cycle has to occur quickly enough to plant the wheel on the road surface and maintain the suspension geometry

This is a topic where "your mileage may vary" applies more than any other descriptor.

Most lowering springs provide one outcome. Either you like it or you don't. There are no tuning options.

Unfortunately, the goals of lowering the vehicle and maintaining comfort are on the opposite sides of each other. Something is needed between these opposing goals.

The answer is coilovers with individually adjustable compression and rebound controls which also allow to maintain OEM suspension height or close to it.

Even in bad road conditions, these coilovers combined with non run flat tires and 19" wheels provide sufficient tuning range to find the right comfort zone for the driver.

Caveat: the cost of coilovers + non run flat tires. M Adaptive suspension functionality will have to be either code out or canceled via EDC Delete module (preferred approach).
Hi there
You are welcome :-)
Your not entirely right.
Both KW and Bilstein have coil overs that can replace our adaptive M sport suspension.
Personally I will change my dampers with a set plug and play adaptive coil overs from KW when due.

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 02:11 PM   #11
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anielsen71 View Post
Quote:

Hi there
Your not entirely right.
Both KW and Bilstein have coil overs that can replace our adaptive M sport suspension.
Personally I will change my dampers with a set plug and play adaptive coil overs from KW when due.
Well - a few more details are helpful.

KW and Bilstein Plug and Play coilovers for OEM EDC suspension do not provide individual compression and rebound controls. They simply plug in into the existing EDC harness and prove 2 settings: Comfort and Sport but each with slightly different calibration ranges than OEM Comfort and Sport settings.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 02:16 PM   #12
anielsen71
Major
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anielsen71 View Post
Quote:

Hi there
Your not entirely right.
Well - a few more details are helpful.

KW and Bilstein Plug and Play coilovers for OEM EDC suspension do not provide individual compression and rebound controls. They simply plug in into the existing EDC harness and prove 2 settings: Comfort and Sport but each with slightly different calibration ranges than OEM Comfort and Sport settings.
Ohh yes I know that.
For individual settings those cannot be used.
I have had the Bilstein B16 IRC which is the aftermarket solution of adaptive dampers with 3 settings.
And I know I will be satisfied with the adjustments on the similar products today that works with plug and play and can be controlled with the OEM switch.
My point was just, you don't need to code out EDC

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 02:37 PM   #13
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
If you're going to spend as much $ as KW DDC or Bilstein B16 damptronic I would go with a Fat Cat Motorsports bespoke setup instead.

He uses Bilstein passive dampers as donor units and tunes them to that optimal range of compression/rebound to achieve your goals.

For example, I have "rally" style damping right now where compression and rebound forces are about equal so over many rough features/bumps/ect the car recovers ride height quickly. He tuned the low and mid-speed compression to support the car so I don't bottom out, reduced rebound biasing so the car doesn't lose ride height over repeated rough features (this will bring you into the bump stops and make the ride quality worse) and educated me how to pick springs such that the front/rear ride frequencies reduce pitching/felt body movement. The result is a ride that's smooth, while still allowing the suspension do its job of following the road and maintaining grip.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5849.00
      09-23-2019, 12:55 PM   #14
anielsen71
Major
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
FaRKle!
Yea, you could be right about that.
But I like the OEM feel and the possibility to switch between comfort and sport.

Appreciate 0