F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MPE Whistle
ARMA SPEED

12-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
jyerelek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i

MPE Whistle

When I first installed my M performance exhaust on my 435i, there is a distinct whistle that comes in the high RPM's of WOT. This was eliminated when I put a cat less down pipe on. However, I have taken the downpipe off and installed the factory catalytic converter back on. My question is does anyone know how to get rid of the mpe whistle?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Like this?

12-18-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
jyerelek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbread View Post
Like this?

Like this

[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 08:11 PM   #4
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

Yes! I've always wondered this! Something with the turbo I'm assuming?
      12-19-2018, 04:48 AM   #5
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

is this whistle happening with the valve open or closed or both?

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// TURBOSMART BOV DUAL PORT //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // B58TU HPFP // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 CUSTOM JORDAN E85 TUNE // XHP STAGE 3 //
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #6
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep

Never tried closed to be honest.

Most of the time when I’m past 5k rpm I’m in sport/+
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 12:26 PM   #7
BulsaraF36
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M-Sport

I hear it with my car during WOT. For me it wasn't noticable on stock dp but hear it more now on fabspeed sport cat dp.
2016 435i M-Sport | Carbon Black | 20" 624M Wheels | MPPK | MPE | M Performance Brakes | M Performance Steering Wheel II with Display | xHP | Dinan Stage 4 | Dinan Big Turbo | Dinan High Performance Intercooler | Dinan Intake | Dinan Shockware | Fabspeed Sport Cat Downpipe | Custom Quad Tips | Autotecknic Red Paddle Shifters
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 05:40 AM   #8
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
The whistle comes from the exhaust tips.

When I 1st slid my tips on & adjusted them to stick out like I wanted - the tips were not pushed back onto the pipes as far as they would go. This left a gap between the edge of the pipe & the inner flap of the tips & as the exhaust gasses blew across this gap it made the whistle sound.

Obviously the faster you go/revving the engine made the whistle even more noticeable due to exhaust gas speed

I adjusted my tips to go back further and not leave a gap & the whistle is gone
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #9
jyerelek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post

When I 1st slid my tips on & adjusted them to stick out like I wanted - the tips were not pushed back onto the pipes as far as they would go. This left a gap between the edge of the pipe & the inner flap of the tips & as the exhaust gasses blew across this gap it made the whistle sound.

Obviously the faster you go/revving the engine made the whistle even more noticeable due to exhaust gas speed

I'll try this today and report back
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #10
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

The whistle is simply the freer flowing exhaust allowing you to hear more noise from the turbo. The sound you're hearing is the DME manipulating the wastegate to control boost in the upper rpms and you're hearing the exhaust hitting nearly supersonic speeds as it passes the edges wastegate flap. My M235 didn't have the whistle until I installed the MPE. The whistle also seems more prevalent in the lower gears.
      12-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #11
jyerelek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyerelek View Post
Quote:

I'll try this today and report back
Whistle still exists
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #12
jyerelek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
The whistle is simply the freer flowing exhaust allowing you to hear more noise from the turbo. The sound you're hearing is the DME manipulating the wastegate to control boost in the upper rpms and you're hearing the exhaust hitting nearly supersonic speeds as it passes the edges wastegate flap. My M235 didn't have the whistle until I installed the MPE. The whistle also seems more prevalent in the lower gears.
Is there any way to get rid of the whistle that you know of?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #13
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep

Quote:
Whistle still exists
Damn was hoping that’d be the fix. I wonder how OP shot rid of it if he said it went away with the tip alignment
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #14
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Is there any way to get rid of the whistle that you know of?
Put the stock exhaust back on
      12-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #15
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Whistle still exists
IDK then, maybe we're talking about different whistle sound cause that worked for me...

I actually couldn't hear my whistle unless I was standing behind the car next to the exhaust - could not hear while in car

I don't have any turbo whistle either as mentioned & I have a Pure Stg 2 bigger turbo installed
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:23 PM   #16
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep

Quote:
IDK then, maybe we're talking about different whistle sound cause that worked for me...

I actually couldn't hear my whistle unless I was standing behind the car next to the exhaust - could not hear while in car

I don't have any turbo whistle either as mentioned & I have a Pure Stg 2 bigger turbo installed
Yeah I think it’s a different whistle than the one in the video.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 09:54 AM   #17
jyerelek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Took the car to the service center and they said it was normal and was due to the wastegate.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 12:08 PM   #18
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Took the car to the service center and they said it was normal and was due to the wastegate.
Yep. I hear it most when it's warm and humid out. My guess is it have something to do with exhaust piping being hotter and improving velocity. Some days it's really clear and others I can barely hear it. In the winter, I rarely hear it.
      12-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #19
Dr_Glob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435xi Msport

Quote:
When I first installed my M performance exhaust on my 435i, there is a distinct whistle that comes in the high RPM's of WOT. This was eliminated when I put a cat less down pipe on. However, I have taken the downpipe off and installed the factory catalytic converter back on. My question is does anyone know how to get rid of the mpe whistle?
I have a 2015 435xi and installed the MPE. Right off the bat instantly there was an annoying whistle sound (around 4.5k rpms and higher). Took it to my local BMW dealership where i got it from and they had no idea what was causing the sound. They ended up warrantying the exhaust and put a completely new one on it and the same exact whistle was still present with the nee MPE. They told me that there could have been a manufacturing change some time between 2013-present and that they would have to contact BMW directly to figure it out. They still to this day dont have a clue what is causing the whistle, i am in the process of returning my mpe with a refund and getting a different aftermarket exhaust. Goodluck with solving this issue I have ripped my hair out trying to figure this out, hopefully you will discover the issue and dont have to go through the same process i have.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 10:29 AM   #20
ctbear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Glob View Post
I have a 2015 435xi and installed the MPE. Right off the bat instantly there was an annoying whistle sound (around 4.5k rpms and higher). Took it to my local BMW dealership where i got it from and they had no idea what was causing the sound. They ended up warrantying the exhaust and put a completely new one on it and the same exact whistle was still present with the nee MPE. They told me that there could have been a manufacturing change some time between 2013-present and that they would have to contact BMW directly to figure it out. They still to this day dont have a clue what is causing the whistle, i am in the process of returning my mpe with a refund and getting a different aftermarket exhaust. Goodluck with solving this issue I have ripped my hair out trying to figure this out, hopefully you will discover the issue and dont have to go through the same process i have.
The guy above mentioned the dealership saying it is due to the wastegate. So a catback muffler shouldn't have any effect on the whistle right?
Appreciate 0