F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Query regarding KW edc coilovers on non EDC car
ARMA SPEED

10-20-2021, 04:09 PM   #1
Xjay1337
Registered
Rep
Drives: F21 m135i

Query regarding KW edc coilovers on non EDC car

Good day!

I've done some research on this forum but I just want to confirm so I don't have any problems.

I have some Kw V2 coilovers to install
They are claimed for EDC cars.

My car is a F21 m135i same as f22 m235i. And same suspension etc I believe as F30 3 series hence why I am here :-)

I do NOT have edc - no adaptive dampers!

My KW - The p/n is 200 1034 L/R (left and right front dampers).
Adtl p/n: 153 20 282

I believe everything fits OK but you need to change one side drop link (arb to damper bar).

I would simply need to purchase 1x 31306792212 (edc front right / offside drop), to install on the right side, everything will go on fine?

Can someone please confirm if this is correct?

Kind regards
Jay
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 04:47 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Xjay1337, it would be helpful to reconfirm first what coilovers you have.

KW V2 coilovers do not have any EDC functionality - no visible electronic connectors.

KW does offer 2 different DDC coilovers:

- DDC ECU: a solution for cars without EDC control. EDC functionality is controlled via a separate app

- DDC Plug and Play: for vehicle with OEM EDC. EDC functionality is controlled via the Sport / Comfort selector near the transmission gear lever.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 04:54 PM   #3
Xjay1337
Registered
Rep

Hi cfm56d7b many thanks for the reply

Maybe I was not clear? Let me attempt to re-explain

The coil overs are as listed in the post with the part numbers from the dampers, they are KW V2 with those part numbers
They are height adjustable coil overs with manually adjustable rebound control , , I'm not saying they have adjustable EDC on any button

They have an EDC delete kit included with them (which I don't need to install as my car does not have EDC)

From my understanding there are 2 options of suspension kit on KW V2 and many other coil overs you can buy

One for non EDC cars, these cars have effectively 2 left side front dampers , these use sway bar link part numbers 31306792211 on both left and right side

and one for Xdrive/EDC cars which are left and right handed front dampers, and use 1x 31306792211 sway bar link on the left side, and 1x 31306792212 on the right side

And from my understanding, if you have a suspension kit which is for an EDC model , but you want to fit them onto a non EDC model (like my car), you need to replace your right side sway bar link with 1x 31306792212 and then they will fit correctly

I'm just wanting to verify if this is correct
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 05:24 PM   #4
markoz28
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2017 340i, BMW 2020 M340i,

I get what you are saying bc I had the same problem. Unfortunately KW informed me that I will not be able to use the passenger side front coilover even if I changed the link. Something about the geometry of the car. I had to buy a new coilover for the right front to make this all fit. Everything else was not an issue. It sucks bc I paid more money for the EDC kit (edc delete) bc I didn’t know what I had and then the correct coilover. Spent way. Ore money then I should have. Probably could have gone with KW3 if I knew better. Live and learn.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 04:16 AM   #5
Xjay1337
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markoz28 View Post
I get what you are saying bc I had the same problem. Unfortunately KW informed me that I will not be able to use the passenger side front coilover even if I changed the link. Something about the geometry of the car. I had to buy a new coilover for the right front to make this all fit. Everything else was not an issue. It sucks bc I paid more money for the EDC kit (edc delete) bc I didn’t know what I had and then the correct coilover. Spent way. Ore money then I should have. Probably could have gone with KW3 if I knew better. Live and learn.
Hello!

I think KW were being unhelpful, probably simply to get some extras sales or a case of "computer says no" and not wanting to be liable for any issues with fitment.

Ive done a lot more research and to confirm that xdrive and edc rwd cars have "handed" shocks.

Non edc rwd cars effectively have 2 left shocks.

Bilstein B14 for example, come with 2 left shocks.

There is no geometry difference etc other than the fact xdrive and EDC cars have 2 different sway bar end links and the non edc rwd have, effectively, 2 left ones.

So if you have an EDC or xdrive car you can fit the B14 kit but you need to replace the sway bar link on the right side with the part number ending 11 (so you have 2x left side sway bar links).

This then stands to reason the reverse is true if fitting EDC or Xdrive parts to a non EDC car. Where you need to replace the right side sway bar link with the part ending 12.

Sorry you had to buy another shock, retrospectively a new end link is significantly cheaper!
Appreciate 1
pauli18c211.00
      11-21-2022, 09:14 PM   #6
Lingling
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjay1337 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by markoz28 View Post
I get what you are saying bc I had the same problem. Unfortunately KW informed me that I will not be able to use the passenger side front coilover even if I changed the link. Something about the geometry of the car. I had to buy a new coilover for the right front to make this all fit. Everything else was not an issue. It sucks bc I paid more money for the EDC kit (edc delete) bc I didn't know what I had and then the correct coilover. Spent way. Ore money then I should have. Probably could have gone with KW3 if I knew better. Live and learn.
Hello!

I think KW were being unhelpful, probably simply to get some extras sales or a case of "computer says no" and not wanting to be liable for any issues with fitment.

Ive done a lot more research and to confirm that xdrive and edc rwd cars have "handed" shocks.

Non edc rwd cars effectively have 2 left shocks.

Bilstein B14 for example, come with 2 left shocks.

There is no geometry difference etc other than the fact xdrive and EDC cars have 2 different sway bar end links and the non edc rwd have, effectively, 2 left ones.

So if you have an EDC or xdrive car you can fit the B14 kit but you need to replace the sway bar link on the right side with the part number ending 11 (so you have 2x left side sway bar links).

This then stands to reason the reverse is true if fitting EDC or Xdrive parts to a non EDC car. Where you need to replace the right side sway bar link with the part ending 12.

Sorry you had to buy another shock, retrospectively a new end link is significantly cheaper!
Hey I am having the same problem. I have an EDC car but orders the non edc part. Bc I didn't want to pay extra money when I can code the edc myself. When tried to hit left and right Endlink on. The passenger side snapped off. So I ordered new driver side Endlink for passenger side hopefully that fixes issue
      01-08-2023, 11:53 AM   #7
335isGuy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw 340xi Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingling View Post
Hey I am having the same problem. I have an EDC car but orders the non edc part. Bc I didn't want to pay extra money when I can code the edc myself. When tried to hit left and right Endlink on. The passenger side snapped off. So I ordered new driver side Endlink for passenger side hopefully that fixes issue
Any update if it solved the issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 11:57 AM   #8
Lingling
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335isGuy View Post
Any update if it solved the issue?
Yes I got 2x MOOG endlinks PN:K750656 and it hasn’t given me any issues. These endlinks are OEM+ so no more plastic on the ends they are solid metal.