F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Clicking noise from drivers side wheel.
ARMA SPEED

06-24-2019, 05:34 AM   #1
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A slow car

Exclamation Clicking noise from drivers side wheel.

Finally picked up my car after a month!!

Had some damage to bumpers and a couple light scratches applied to body work by the dealer car wash. After a further wash, polish, 2 visits to the body shop I could pick it up.. I was more excited than first buying it!

Noticed on the drive back a noise with my windows down cruising on A roads. Managed to get this picked up on video. Same again this morning.

My thoughts are the discs have warped or the pads aren’t seated correctly, only time I had something similar was on a previous hatchback upgrading brakes to 320mm drilled discs. First pair would make the same noise both front sides, once replaced nothing happened.

There’s no reason to think of that brakes were adjusted, removed and put together again, by either my self or the dealership.

Increasing speed increases the frequency. Happens on and off throttle. No noticeable vibration on steering wheel (will test this out again).

Is it possible to be the pads/disc? I have done a quick swoop of the tyre tread rotation the wheel both sides but couldn’t mind any pebbles or stones.

Here’s a video: " width="800" height="450" frameborder="0">

Link. https://vimeo.com/344054814/description

Ideally want to look into this my self as I don’t want a number of visits again with long wait times.

Last edited by KTE; 06-24-2019 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #2
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

Can't play the video for some reason but are you sure it's not a stone in the tyre tread ?
Brake discs don't just warp so if it was ok before the body shop visit it's likely something simple like that
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 03:34 PM   #3
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Will try get the wheels off this weekend, but from moving the car and turning the wheels either direction there were no stones found.

I’ll get the torque wrench out tomorrow and double check all bolts are sitting at ~140Nm. Brake backing plates might be worth an inspection..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 06:26 AM   #4
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

All wheels came off, torqued to 140Nm. Full span checked for debris, nothing lodged in tread.

Does it on slight rotation of wheels during slower movement.

Booking in for a brake oil change, MOT and a few other things, including this so will post on the updates..
Appreciate 0