F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Missed Oil Change by 4k Miles and I need a engine replacement
Studio RSR

10-12-2021, 12:58 AM   #1
jkstyle834
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 330e M Package

Missed Oil Change by 4k Miles and I need a engine replacement

I know I am an idiot lets get past that. I have '16 330e 65k miles with BM3 Stage 2, catless DP, muffler delete, ftp charge pipe, afe magnum force air intake.

So car started to run a little funny after going over 3.5k miles due for an oil change and started getting misfires. BMW tech drained the oil and he said it had like gold flakes in the oil. They suggested i do an engine replacement telling me that if i tried to repair it the labor would cost more than a new engine. Original quote was like 24k from the tech to replace the engine. My buddy of 15+ years is service advisor at BMW and got it down to $13.5k including tax.

My question is,

since i do not know exactly which parts are needed to be replaced lets say i need like an overhaul. would i be able to rebuild this engine at a lower price maybe upgrading couple of parts along the way or would it be better to get a brand new engine with 0 miles? And how much does rebuilding an engine cost? Like a high end estimate since I don't know what needs to be replaced…

I just need a price point before calling the local german specialty mechanic to get a quote.

Thank you for your help and attention.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 10:31 AM   #2
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport

You won't really know until the motor is opened up and accessed. If you do pull things apart and upgrade, you can do your entire bottom end for around 3k before labor. That's Carrillo rods + pistons + con rod bearings + main bearings + misc gaskets and bolts.

You might want to check this thread for a 330e build guide. It's further down the page.

Shane's BMW B48 Engine Build https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1864478
MY13: TTE400 Stage 2 turbo, Spec Single Mass flywheel + Stage 3+ Clutch, FTP V2 Turbo Inlet, Evolution Racewerks Charge pipe + Boost pipe + Intercooler, Turbosmart Recirculating Diverter Valve, aFE grill scoop + aFE Magnum Force Cold Air Intake, B58 coil retrofit, eBay Downpipe, Active Autowerke muffler, DW400 LPFP, B58TU HPFP, M5 s63TU injectors, Bimmermilvs, e80 tune by Navardi Tuned. 380 whp/360 wheel torque stock block
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 10:37 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Missing an oil change by 3.5k miles won't cause damage. 35k miles, maybe. You should have sent a sample of the oil to Blackstone for an analysis. Gold color flakes could be bearings, but they're not going to cause misfires. If I were you I'd do a lot more diagnosing before doing anything else.
Appreciate 7
Polo088161604.00
xxDYxx11.50
Th3Walrus340.50
VipinLJ1941.50
      10-13-2021, 05:37 AM   #4
SRHosein
Private First Class
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstyle834 View Post
I know I am an idiot lets get past that. I have '16 330e 65k miles with BM3 Stage 2, catless DP, muffler delete, ftp charge pipe, afe magnum force air intake.

So car started to run a little funny after going over 3.5k miles due for an oil change and started getting misfires. BMW tech drained the oil and he said it had like gold flakes in the oil. They suggested i do an engine replacement telling me that if i tried to repair it the labor would cost more than a new engine. Original quote was like 24k from the tech to replace the engine. My buddy of 15+ years is service advisor at BMW and got it down to $13.5k including tax.

My question is,

since i do not know exactly which parts are needed to be replaced lets say i need like an overhaul. would i be able to rebuild this engine at a lower price maybe upgrading couple of parts along the way or would it be better to get a brand new engine with 0 miles? And how much does rebuilding an engine cost? Like a high end estimate since I don't know what needs to be replaced…

I just need a price point before calling the local german specialty mechanic to get a quote.

Sorry to hear about your engine.

My experience with the B48s are the pistons ringlands tend to crack easily.
Once caught early there will be no block damage.
Hence you will most likely need pistons.
Depending on your goals if just want minimum cost, just buy 4 CP pistons and replace with no additional coating nor add ons.
In addition, you will have to change head gasket, head bolts and whatever else required during the teardown.

Note the other weak spot is the rods which tends to bend under higher boost and bigger turbo. If you have no intensions to upgrade turbo then just get pistons.

My car was built to fully send and I did not want any engine internals to limit the car.

Before doing any work on the engine, I will recommend doing a compression test.

Even if you get a new engine, the B48 pistons 11:1 compression edition used in 20i models are weak and have a tendency to crack easily if any issues with fuel, tune, poor maintenance ect.

For the cost for engine rebuild you will have to check local shops and also find someone good.

An inspection of all components will be required and will determine if any additional components are required.

There is also all my DIYs for b48 engine rebuild.

Pistons are about $800+usd

Last edited by SRHosein; 10-13-2021 at 05:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 08:09 AM   #5
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstyle834 View Post

My question is,

Are you out of warranty? Your oil change intervals for a stage 2 is too high even at recommended 10k miles. The gold flakes could be arm pin or bushings. Its rare to get a brand new engine, its highly likely you are getting a remanufactured unit with a 2 year parts warranty. Rebuilding the engine is only worth the cash if you want to upgrade the internals and does not seem like what you want if you are getting sticker shock at $13k. A 6 cylinder replace costs north of 20k.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 08:39 AM   #6
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Are you out of warranty? Your oil change intervals for a stage 2 is too high even at recommended 10k miles. The gold flakes could be arm pin or bushings. Its rare to get a brand new engine, its highly likely you are getting a remanufactured unit with a 2 year parts warranty. Rebuilding the engine is only worth the cash if you want to upgrade the internals and does not seem like what you want if you are getting sticker shock at $13k. A 6 cylinder replace costs north of 20k.
That's why I will eventually transition to domestic brands. If you blow your NA V8, just go online and "add to cart" for a new engine.
Appreciate 0