F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Back up lights?
Studio RSR

12-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Back up lights?

OK, here's the situation. I just had a back up camera installed and it works just fine. The "problem" is that the camera image could be a little brighter at night - it can be really dark around here when backing out of the garage.

Our other car, a 2011 Ford Edge, has much bigger/brighter back up lights than our 328i but even it could use some "help" illuminating what's behind the car.

So, does anyone have any product suggestions vis-à-vis a good LED back up light system I can install to help rectify this situation?

Looking for something that can be mounted under the bumper sort of hidden so it doesn't "stand out" and cause me to incur the wrath of other BMW owners as in......

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Curious, what color is your car? Did you do an OEM retrofit or aftermarket cam? Does your backup cam show part of the bumper in the video?

I can tell you the OEM cam on an alpine white, mineral white and possibly some other light colors shows a dark image of objects in the distance. The bumper reflects so much white light back that is causes the CCD to compensate. Placing a dark rag over the bumper proves this. The OEM cam works much better with dark colors.

All BMW had to do to correct was angle the cam so it only shows a sliver of the bumper. Currently they show too much in the image. Alternatively, if the video coming off the camera to the module is digital, they can re-program the module to ignore the bottom of the image where the bright light is reflecting back. If its digital and they have a modern designed module, they can probably make the bumper appear dark even on a white car.

Last edited by claykin; 12-25-2013 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Curious, what color is your car? Did you do an OEM retrofit or aftermarket cam? Does your backup cam show part of the bumper in the video?

I can tell you the OEM cam on an alpine white, mineral white and possibly some other light colors shows a dark image of objects in the distance. The bumper reflects so much white light back that is causes the CCD to compensate. Placing a dark rag over the bumper proves this. The OEM cam works much better with dark colors.

All BMW had to do to correct was angle the cam so it only shows a sliver of the bumper. Currently they show too much in the image. Alternatively, if the video coming off the camera to the module is digital, they can re-program the module to ignore the bottom of the image where the bright light is reflecting back. If its digital and they have a modern designed module, they can probably make the bumper appear dark even on a white car.
Good point, yes the exposure of many camera systems is going to be defined by the average light over the entire picture. BMW could program the exposure calculation to not include the bottom part... Too smart for them.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
Math
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 116D

Garage List
Some smart guys here! Maybe you can suggest this to BMW in the suggestions postbox, they might even take it into consideration for future cars

2012 - BMW F21 116D ED

Please check my amazing car rental website at http://www.bscc.eu!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the input! Although the car is mineral white, the camera only picks up a VERY small sliver of the rear bumper so I can't be sure that's part of the issue - after dark tonight I'll put a rag on the bumper to see if that makes a difference.

Absent an improvement by doing so, I'll be back to considering some sort of "additional" lighting to improve things. This isn't an "end of the world" issue but it's a little annoying when a Ford has a better setup......
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent11202 View Post
Thanks for the input! Although the car is mineral white, the camera only picks up a VERY small sliver of the rear bumper so I can't be sure that's part of the issue - after dark tonight I'll put a rag on the bumper to see if that makes a difference.

Absent an improvement by doing so, I'll be back to considering some sort of "additional" lighting to improve things. This isn't an "end of the world" issue but it's a little annoying when a Ford has a better setup......
You didn't tell us if your retrofit is the OEM or aftermarket camera? If OEM, its more than a sliver of bumper in the image.

Check out these images. Taken 2 minutes apart and no change in surroundings, lighting, etc. Only change was adding dark towel on top of bumper and removing the towel.

12-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
Math
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 116D

Garage List
Quote:
You didn't tell us if your retrofit is the OEM or aftermarket camera? If OEM, its more than a sliver of bumper in the image.

Check out these images. Taken 2 minutes apart and no change in surroundings, lighting, etc. Only change was adding dark towel on top of bumper and removing the towel.

Wow, thats a big difference in picture quality!

2012 - BMW F21 116D ED

Please check my amazing car rental website at http://www.bscc.eu!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math View Post
Wow, thats a big difference in picture quality!
Yup!

To compensate I reset the brightness and contrast settings to 70% and it helped a bit. In the pic's above both were set to the factory defaults of 50%.
      12-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup!

To compensate I reset the brightness and contrast settings to 70% and it helped a bit. In the pic's above both were set to the factory defaults of 50%.
Sorry about not stating if I have an after-market or OEM unit. It's an after-market. After looking at your pictures, the picture with my unit is about the same as yours after you adjusted things. A few minutes ago I shielded the back bumper AND put tape over the two license plate lights - no difference whatsoever so it seems there's no real difference between after-market and OEM units when it comes to sensitivity. Oh, and my camera only picks up a VERY small sliver of the bumper, not nearly as much as the OEM unit.

So, while it pales in comparison to our Ford, it's still quite adequate for what we wanted - safety issues - I can live with it and thanks for posting the pics!.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
cjack
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435X, EBII, 6MT, PPK + 2019 X5

We have a few vehicles with backup cameras, our Ford (2012 F-150 Eco) is by far the best camera I have ever seen for night time. Might be that ford just uses good cameras.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

We also have a '13 Ford Edge and the camera is way brighter than my '14 F30 at night... But I never knew the white color affected exposure!

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 01:01 AM   #12
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

What about swapping in some Cree LED's for parking lights?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-SP0RT View Post
We also have a '13 Ford Edge and the camera is way brighter than my '14 F30 at night... But I never knew the white color affected exposure!
I figured out how to post a picture. Notice it's not as "limited" as the BMW one - it gets just about everything behind you and caprures more "altitude. "

Just an FYI. The is a shot of the Ford Edge backup camera system.

http://
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #14
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

Quote:
I figured out how to post a picture. Notice it's not as "limited" as the BMW one - it gets just about everything behind you and caprures more "altitude. "
totally agree regarding the Ford Edge cam

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #15
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:

Just an FYI. The is a shot of the Ford Edge backup camera system.

http://
Obviously it's mounted higher than the F30's camera...and is using a wider-angle lens. SUVs, as large and boxy as they are, were among the first vehicles to need a rear-view camera, as it's nearly impossible to see things that are lower to the ground and close to the bumper due to rear-window/rearview mirror limitations. I personally don't find the rear cam necessary on my car, but it would be nice to have, especially at night with my tinted windows. Higher-intensity backup lights would definitely help with or without the cam. Having driven loaner BMWs with the rear camera, the daytime view seems pretty adequate, though.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #16
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Obviously it's mounted higher than the F30's camera...and is using a wider-angle lens. SUVs, as large and boxy as they are, were among the first vehicles to need a rear-view camera, as it's nearly impossible to see things that are lower to the ground and close to the bumper due to rear-window/rearview mirror limitations. I personally don't find the rear cam necessary on my car, but it would be nice to have, especially at night with my tinted windows. Higher-intensity backup lights would definitely help with or without the cam. Having driven loaner BMWs with the rear camera, the daytime view seems pretty adequate, though.
Yes. it's definitely mounted higher and it's a 170 degree Sony camera so you would think it would be close to the same. Also, note the amount of the rear bumper it picks up without "washing out" the image due to reflection.

Another feature with the Ford camera - you can "magnify" the image with the push of a button to see what is right on your tail - and I do mean right on your tail.

I don't know if higher intensity back up lights are available for a retro-fit but if they are, I'd likely install them - haven't had any luck searching for them.

Make no mistake, I'm not totally frustrated with the existing setup because it meets the "safety" issues we are concerned about - I'd just like it to be better than it is.
Appreciate 0