F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Aftermarket turbo inlet on stock turbo.
ARMA SPEED

11-24-2020, 12:30 AM   #221
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW S1000XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
I don't remember that on mine either... All i had to do was release the 4 prongs. I would have to go look at the car to see if that was there but just hidden under the sheath. Mine doesn't leak at all though. Is that link the pinch-to-release thing similar to the vacuum hoses on the intake and CP?
No, this one is different. Based on the videos I have seen, no one mentions this piece but I remember breaking it. And on my new PCV hose, it was not on there.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 11:58 AM   #222
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

So I swapped out the Turner intake to the OEM one after work. It had a slight rough idle and would drop here and there but I kept it up. Drove it home approx 40 miles and parked the car outside to make sure it was in the cold.

Started it up at 6:45 this morning with temperature around 50 degrees (warmer than the last few days which has been around 40 degrees) and did not have any issues. I'm hoping tomorrow morning will be a little bit colder to actually come to a conclusion.

Ordered a new PCV hose anyways to get mine replaced again. Hopefully the new one comes with that ribbed clip.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 12:42 PM   #223
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrichierich View Post
So I swapped out the Turner intake to the OEM one after work. It had a slight rough idle and would drop here and there but I kept it up. Drove it home approx 40 miles and parked the car outside to make sure it was in the cold.

Started it up at 6:45 this morning with temperature around 50 degrees (warmer than the last few days which has been around 40 degrees) and did not have any issues. I'm hoping tomorrow morning will be a little bit colder to actually come to a conclusion.

Ordered a new PCV hose anyways to get mine replaced again. Hopefully the new one comes with that ribbed clip.
Yeah, it will need some time to adapt most likely but it sounds like the intake was probably the cause. Which one did you order, do you have a link? (for the intake)
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 12:55 PM   #224
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, it will need some time to adapt most likely but it sounds like the intake was probably the cause. Which one did you order, do you have a link? (for the intake)
Yea, I drove 40 miles home last night and 40 miles back to work. We'll see what the car does after work and tomorrow morning.

I bought a used Turner enclosed intake system: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...-335i/?pdk=AwQ

Saw it going for a pretty good deal on ebay so I bought it and sold my Injen intake. What might be my issue is that the intake was going all the way into the turbo inlet opening. I think maybe 1/4" of the intake was inside of the inlet. I was worried about the inlet leaking so I pushed it as far as I can do the inlet adapter that goes to the turbo.

That or I keep my stock intake on. Going to miss the PSSSSHHHHH!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 01:02 PM   #225
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yea, I drove 40 miles home last night and 40 miles back to work. We'll see what the car does after work and tomorrow morning.

I bought a used Turner enclosed intake system: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...-335i/?pdk=AwQ

Saw it going for a pretty good deal on ebay so I bought it and sold my Injen intake. What might be my issue is that the intake was going all the way into the turbo inlet opening. I think maybe 1/4" of the intake was inside of the inlet. I was worried about the inlet leaking so I pushed it as far as I can do the inlet adapter that goes to the turbo.

Not sure what you mean here. The intake does sit inside the top part of the silicone MST inlet, and the on the bottom side, the silicone should be pretty far (but doesnt necessarily NEED to be bottomed out) on the metal piece that goes into the turbo. So what you described sounds correct. The MST seals very well, so unless you had a vacuum leak, the amount you had the intake pushed into the inlet shouldnt matter.

I can't exactly tell where the MAF is located on that inlet, but i think the shape and the "S" bend are not ideal for MAF readings.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 01:18 PM   #226
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what you mean here. The intake does sit inside the top part of the silicone MST inlet, and the on the bottom side, the silicone should be pretty far (but doesnt necessarily NEED to be bottomed out) on the metal piece that goes into the turbo. So what you described sounds correct. The MST seals very well, so unless you had a vacuum leak, the amount you had the intake pushed into the inlet shouldnt matter.

I can't exactly tell where the MAF is located on that inlet, but i think the shape and the "S" bend are not ideal for MAF readings.
Hmm ok, I should be fine on the bottom portion then. I got the inlet as far down as I could, and doesn't seem to be leaking. Or so I hope.

Here is more pictures on the Turner intake:

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 02:03 PM   #227
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hmm ok, I should be fine on the bottom portion then. I got the inlet as far down as I could, and doesn't seem to be leaking. Or so I hope.

Here is more pictures on the Turner intake:

Well it definitely looks nice... but i honestly don't see the point of it when it has a 'flat' shape similar to stock, has some bends in it, and likely has a similar intake size and filter area as compared to stock. Also, the bend after the MAF and overall shape look very similar to the BMS, which from what i saw when researching intakes, was one of the most common to cause the rough idle/cold start issues. https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...ormance-intake.

After doing all my intake testing (see that thread), even the CTS didn't really show anything quantitative and i think thats the best case scenario in terms of improving flow/reducing restriction. But not to derail this thread into an intake discussion lol.

I'm pretty sure your MST install is fine and its just the intake. Because of the silicone construction, the MST seals very well and is hard to install 'incorrectly'. I bet it wouldnt even create a vacuum leak if you left the bottom hose clamp off, given how hard mine was to put on and how it sealed. Same thing for where the intake goes into the inlet up top.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 05:07 PM   #228
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

Quote:
Well it definitely looks nice... but i honestly don't see the point of it when it has a 'flat' shape similar to stock, has some bends in it, and likely has a similar intake size and filter area as compared to stock. Also, the bend after the MAF and overall shape look very similar to the BMS, which from what i saw when researching intakes, was one of the most common to cause the rough idle/cold start issues. https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...ormance-intake.

After doing all my intake testing (see that thread), even the CTS didn't really show anything quantitative and i think thats the best case scenario in terms of improving flow/reducing restriction. But not to derail this thread into an intake discussion lol.

I'm pretty sure your MST install is fine and its just the intake. Because of the silicone construction, the MST seals very well and is hard to install 'incorrectly'. I bet it wouldnt even create a vacuum leak if you left the bottom hose clamp off, given how hard mine was to put on and how it sealed. Same thing for where the intake goes into the inlet up top.
Let me know when you're ready to sell that CTS intake
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 05:27 PM   #229
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Let me know when you're ready to sell that CTS intake
I'm still going back and forth with it. I've had it installed long enough now that i do plan to swap back to OEM and i will know immediately if i miss the CTS sound or i am happy its gone. That will be the deciding factor.
Appreciate 2
      11-24-2020, 06:52 PM   #230
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
I'm still going back and forth with it. I've had it installed long enough now that i do plan to swap back to OEM and i will know immediately if i miss the CTS sound or i am happy its gone. That will be the deciding factor.
I still have first dibs if you decide to part with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 07:19 PM   #231
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
Indeed, I remember you saying that a long time ago lol. Taking mods off my car is so hard though. Well see. Still have a strut bar sitting here from like 3 months ago, so when i get a chance, im going to install that and swap intake back.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 10:25 AM   #232
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

So today was the ultimate test. My Turner intake was my issue. Parked the car outside last night to made sure it sat in the cold. Temperatures were at 39 degrees this morning when I started the car. No rough idle.

I am going to try to install the turner intake again once I get some replacement parts, but this time leave the cover off.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 04:55 PM   #233
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
Indeed, I remember you saying that a long time ago lol. Taking mods off my car is so hard though. Well see. Still have a strut bar sitting here from like 3 months ago, so when i get a chance, im going to install that and swap intake back.
Will be interested in your review of the strut bar!
      11-30-2020, 11:53 AM   #234
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So today was the ultimate test. My Turner intake was my issue. Parked the car outside last night to made sure it sat in the cold. Temperatures were at 39 degrees this morning when I started the car. No rough idle.

I am going to try to install the turner intake again once I get some replacement parts, but this time leave the cover off.
Sucks you can't use it, but at least it was something simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
Will be interested in your review of the strut bar!
I will post up some feedback in this thread once i install; there's already a lot of discussion there as its the main thread on strut bars. Hoping for this weekend.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...825640&page=10
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 07:11 PM   #235
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i & 340i

new product?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5w20 View Post
Turner Motorsports has this on sale at the moment.

Sale - Save 15% $194.95
$165.71

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 08:33 PM   #236
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Quote:
new product?

Quote:
Turner Motorsports has this on sale at the moment.

Sale - Save 15% $194.95
$165.71

This is the first I'm seeing this, looks like a nice piece
Curious about this as well
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 10:29 AM   #237
Oktom2
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 17 KIA Stinger GT, 17 BMW M2

So here are logs before/after the MST V2 inlet pipe on my F87 M2 stock turbo (FBO)

Before
https://datazap.me/u/atr1/long-pull-...-43-44&solo=25

After
https://datazap.me/u/atr1/after-mst-...-37-38&solo=23

100 to 260kph starting in 3rd gear.

I do notice a slightly lower WGDC.
Besides that, no real difference in performance, but that may be due to the fact that I was already reaching the power targets of my tune with the stock inlet. In terms of drivability I would say that the car is much more responsive but that is hard to quantify. It may also be a little bit of placebo.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 11:01 AM   #238
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Looks like a 3-4% reduction in WGDC. (5th gear specifically) Nicccee
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 11:23 AM   #239
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktom2 View Post
So here are logs before/after the MST V2 inlet pipe on my F87 M2 stock turbo (FBO)

Before
https://datazap.me/u/atr1/long-pull-...-43-44&solo=25

After
https://datazap.me/u/atr1/after-mst-...-37-38&solo=23

100 to 260kph starting in 3rd gear.

I do notice a slightly lower WGDC.
Besides that, no real difference in performance, but that may be due to the fact that I was already reaching the power targets of my tune with the stock inlet. In terms of drivability I would say that the car is much more responsive but that is hard to quantify. It may also be a little bit of placebo.
Basically the exact same thing i observed and posted about earlier in this thread

If you really wanted to look at nuanced before/after differences in situations like this you need to pull the data into excel or another program and plot different parameters vs rpm at more refined scaled. Like I did here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1765289
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 11:33 PM   #240
UhhItsANT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
EWG, noticed no change in responsiveness. You should probably omit the data in your table below 3,600rpm considering it isn't 100% throttle on the second log. I avoid going WOT below 3,500 to prevent LSPI.
Ahh, thanks for the heads up. First time that I got to look at graphs on a larger screen. I didn't catch the lower throttle%. That would explain the low numbers in the "after" set, especially if you aren't seeing any change in low rev responsiveness. Thanks!
Thanks, so I plan to order the mst inlet but description I see online says v2 is for hybrid or aftermarket turbos. I have a stock turbo on my 2013 f30 335i. Can someone confirm if v2 will work? Picture looks the same for me
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 01:16 AM   #241
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntBabeee View Post
Thanks, so I plan to order the mst inlet but description I see online says v2 is for hybrid or aftermarket turbos. I have a stock turbo on my 2013 f30 335i. Can someone confirm if v2 will work? Picture looks the same for me
Yes you want v2 with stock turbo.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 03:50 AM   #242
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

so it's not talked about a lot but I don't recommend that intake to anyone. guy locally has had to have his replaced twice due to it developing leaks after the maf sensor. they literally come apart at the seams and leak air. once they go through a bunch of heat cycles it happens. most people don't know they have a bad once but you can see it in the maf logs if you happen to have before and after logs etc. seen it in a few groups as well. check for places where's yours is leaking etc
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0