F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Dealership vs Indy Mechanic Pricing?
Extreme Powerhouse

07-01-2022, 10:15 AM   #1
klasjdh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 435ix

Dealership vs Indy Mechanic Pricing?

I am going to preface this by saying that this may be a little controversial / skewed on my sample size (# of shops called), but it would seem like that the price difference between independent shops and dealership prices are almost equivalent.

Dealerships: BMW Herb Chambers of Medford, Boston, Sudbury
Cost for labour: $179.95 / hr
Initial Diagnostic: $199.95

Independent Mechanic Shops:

German Perform Service Inc.
Cost for Labour: $175 / hr (Please note price on website of $114/ hr, is not true any more)

Bavarian Performance Group
Cost for labour: $175 / hr
Initial Diagnostic: $300

Wile Motorsport
Cost for labour: $150 / hr (normal street cars)
Cost for race / m-performance $200 - $300 (Depends on model / service)
*Prioritizes fixing race / performance car to make ends meet / break even

Ultimate Bimmer Services
Cost for labour: $175 / hr
Initial Diagnostic: $300

Again - these are just shops I felt were more reputable in my own opinion that I sampled compared to the dealership. It would seem that at this time, depending on what kind of service you are looking to do you should prioritize where to go.

For me.. I was inquiring about AC smell issues, Wile Motorsport immediately suggested to go to the dealer, GPS suggested to deal with it (nothing you can do about it), BPG and UBS required an initial diagnostic which are both $100 more than the dealership diagnostic.

At this point I've made an appointment with a dealership's service dept to see what they'll say ..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 12:10 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by klasjdh View Post
For me.. I was inquiring about AC smell issues, Wile Motorsport immediately suggested to go to the dealer, GPS suggested to deal with it (nothing you can do about it), BPG and UBS required an initial diagnostic which are both $100 more than the dealership diagnostic.
I'd avoid all of them, since they're not skilled enough to know about this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Diagnostic fees are a rip off, pure and simple. 90% of what they do you can do yourself with the bimmer-tool Lite app, and it's freeware.
Appreciate 0