F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Nano-Ceramic Wheel Sealants on Diamond Cut 403M's
Extreme Powerhouse

04-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #23
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine199 View Post
Had the wheels off and coated with CarPro DLUX the other day. Wheels came up well with a cracking shine. Took the opportunity to coat the calipers at the same time.

Wheels look great - not seen mudflaps on a car for many years

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 04:09 PM   #24
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Just applied Gtechniq C5 to my 442M's and it's worked a treat. Really easy to apply too. Remains to be seen how well/long it lasts but, in combination with Gtechniq on the windows (amazing to watch in the rain) and supernatural on the paintwork, I've got water beading everywhere
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 12:27 AM   #25
Irvine199
Rep
Drives: F30 330d MSport xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M_Sport View Post
Wheels look great - not seen mudflaps on a car for many years
I've fitted mud flaps on every car i've ever had. My personal taste as I know a lot of folk can't stand them. The added bonus of minmising the amount of crap being thrown up the side of the car also helps!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #26
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Cheers for the replies guys. I still can't figure out why the detailer was wary of Nano Ceramic Wheel Sealants. I think I'll probably use the Supernatural Wheel Sealant in autumn when I swap the 403M's for winter wheels. The guys at DoDo Juice can't envisage a problem...

So far I've just done the accessible areas of the wheels (on car) using Supernatural Hybrid Paste. It seems to work and they clean up easily...
Attached Images

04-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #27
billyboym3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D

These have to be the hardest wheel ive ever owned to keep clean, seem to take ages to clean and are awkward. Are the break pads fitted standard soft? after driving to work and back (30mls round trip) my wheels are grey again.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #28
MRPoisson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboym3 View Post
These have to be the hardest wheel ive ever owned to keep clean, seem to take ages to clean and are awkward. Are the break pads fitted standard soft? after driving to work and back (30mls round trip) my wheels are grey again.
Is this your first M Sport bimmer? The MV1's MV2's and MV4's were a lot worse for cleaning IMO - I find the 403M's much improved on that score. Agreed on the brake dust - they don't stay clean for very long

Gone F30 320D 8AT M Sport Mineral grey
Gone E92 320D M Sport Sparkling Graphite
Gone E46 320D M Sport Silver Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:28 AM   #29
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboym3 View Post
Best bet is to either get some Gtechniq C5 on them or a good quality PTFE wax, swissvax autobahn wax, FK1000P etc.

These make cleaning them much easier, used from new on my E91, much just falls off when washed, wax lasts for 6 months +, the Gtechniq will last longer but cost more lol.

Plenty detailers will do your alloys for you, taking them off and sealing them.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 02:13 AM   #30
billyboym3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D

Thanks guys ill give it a shot , no not my 1st I still have my old m 3 although this has the 5 spoke acs wheels which were easy to clean
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 07:41 PM   #31
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Well, a year on I decided I'd use a nano-ceramic wheel sealant on my wheels after the reports of non-damaging protection on others wheels.

I used the DoDo Juice Supernatural Wheel Sealant and I must say I'm highly impressed with the results... The finish is fantastic, very bling... Only time will tell on the effectiveness and longevity.

This was hard work and took a few days to do. To ensure curing they needed time between costs and to be kept dry... But, thankfully I was able to take over the conservatory for a while with only minor spousal grumbling.

Ventilation is important when applying as there is a rather unpleasant odour, quite ammonia like.

As the wheels had covered 8k+ summer miles I touched up a few minor stone chips in the clear coat, throughly cleaned, iron removed (DoDo Ferrous Duller) and Clayed the wheels before applying the product.
Attached Images

03-15-2015, 03:31 AM   #32
JonD
Major
Rep
Drives: 1 Series Coupe, M Sport

Another vote for dlux, very easy to use, as mentioned by Brigand it can be used on plastics, it's had great durability on my wheels and brake calipers.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 03:59 AM   #33
Andrewthefirst
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
Well, a year on I decided I'd use a nano-ceramic wheel sealant on my wheels after the reports of non-damaging protection on others wheels.

I used the DoDo Juice Supernatural Wheel Sealant and I must say I'm highly impressed with the results... The finish is fantastic, very bling... Only time will tell on the effectiveness and longevity.

This was hard work and took a few days to do. To ensure curing they needed time between costs and to be kept dry... But, thankfully I was able to take over the conservatory for a while with only minor spousal grumbling.

Ventilation is important when applying as there is a rather unpleasant odour, quite ammonia like.

As the wheels had covered 8k+ summer miles I touched up a few minor stone chips in the clear coat, throughly cleaned, iron removed (DoDo Ferrous Duller) and Clayed the wheels before applying the product.
Great pic mate, love it. I have gtechniq c5 on mine for a couple of months now and no issues. With these wheels you need all the help you can get, not so easy to clean.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 05:45 AM   #34
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

I used DLUX on my winter wheels and used it on my ex's Alfa. I wasn't that impressed with the durability.

Yesterday I used Gtechniq c5 on my summer wheels ready to go back on the car today.

Gtechniq themselves do say:

Quote:
• We do not recommend using C5 Wheel Armour on polished rims in countries that salt roads for ice prevention
      03-15-2015, 06:26 AM   #35
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM
I used DLUX on my winter wheels and used it on my ex's Alfa. I wasn't that impressed with the durability.

Yesterday I used Gtechniq c5 on my summer wheels ready to go back on the car today.

Gtechniq themselves do say:

Quote:
• We do not recommend using C5 Wheel Armour on polished rims in countries that salt roads for ice prevention
Interesting. DoDo Juice themselves do say that this product should be routinely cleaned with a pH neutral wheel cleaner, but can be refreshed by lightly acidic wheel cleaners. From the Ammonia smell of the Supernatural Wheel Sealant I would say it would be slightly alkaline.

So, I wonder if the road salt could react in some way... If it's an ionic material held in solution other ionic products may be able to get into the matrix and be held against a bare metal wheel.

However, this warning could be for un-lacquered wheels. The BMW 403M's have a thin clear coat on top of the polished surface. I repaired a small stone chip in one of my wheels with the clear coat from a touch up kit before starting on my wheels.
      03-15-2015, 08:02 AM   #36
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
Interesting. DoDo Juice themselves do say that this product should be routinely cleaned with a pH neutral wheel cleaner, but can be refreshed by lightly acidic wheel cleaners. From the Ammonia smell of the Supernatural Wheel Sealant I would say it would be slightly alkaline.

So, I wonder if the road salt could react in some way... If it's an ionic material held in solution other ionic products may be able to get into the matrix and be held against a bare metal wheel.

However, this warning could be for un-lacquered wheels. The BMW 403M's have a thin clear coat on top of the polished surface. I repaired a small stone chip in one of my wheels with the clear coat from a touch up kit before starting on my wheels.

Road salt + water = does reduce effectiveness of pretty much all wheel sealants and definitely waxes.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 09:27 AM   #37
JoshB25
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 318d M-Sport

Things have come a long way since the old poor boys wheel sealant. That stuff did not last at all! I coated my 403's in C5 back in may last year. Still going well as used to top up frequently with C2 or their QD. I am about to coat them in Swissvax Autobahn to see how that performs on top.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #38
boom77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335d gone, now M135i

Tried quite a few over the years:
C5 pretty good, expensive, but didn't get much more than a couple of months.
Tried DLUX on my old 403's and wasn't impressed, easier to apply and better gloss than the C5 but didn't last anywhere near as long, despite two coats.
Wolfs wheel sealant, not bad, better than the DLUX, not as good as C5 but £25 for a 150ml bottle was a bargain.
Just put Sonax Xtreme nano on my new 436's, by far easiest to apply, spray onto microfiber pad rub on, leave dry for an hour. I did a second coat, looks good, no idea of durability yet but will report back, but with the speed of application not too bothered. £13 for a can was a bargain, plus as its an aerosol doesn't have the limited shelf life of other nano sealants once opened.
Appreciate 0