F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Interview for new job, how much?
ARMA SPEED

08-31-2016, 01:24 AM   #89
SDH
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscopete822 View Post
never a failure , always a lesson!
I like that
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 03:14 AM   #90
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscopete822 View Post
no worries mate. You will get there . They say money its not the most important thing!... They lie. Its better to cry in lambo than in 3 Series. remember , never a failure , always a lesson!
LOL very good
      09-07-2016, 05:31 AM   #91
SDH
Captain
Rep

Some good news...

After my discussion with my manager he has a direction for me to take to better my career. PMO lead role is required in our location to oversee localised projects. If I can prove myself in part time project management along side my current role, the new role is as good as mine, wink wink nudge nudge

I've asked for further training and am now enrolled on a Prince2 (Foundation & Practitioner) course 14th Nov. If I manage to pass the exams at the end of that I'll be looking for further qualifications as although my experience is strong, my CV is weak on academic achievement's.

With this in mind and the apparent knowledge of members on here. What further qualifications would bring me an advantage in future job roles in project management/project planning?

Thanks
Steve
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 10:48 AM   #92
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDH View Post
Some good news...

After my discussion with my manager he has a direction for me to take to better my career. PMO lead role is required in our location to oversee localised projects. If I can prove myself in part time project management along side my current role, the new role is as good as mine, wink wink nudge nudge

I've asked for further training and am now enrolled on a Prince2 (Foundation & Practitioner) course 14th Nov. If I manage to pass the exams at the end of that I'll be looking for further qualifications as although my experience is strong, my CV is weak on academic achievement's.

With this in mind and the apparent knowledge of members on here. What further qualifications would bring me an advantage in future job roles in project management/project planning?

Thanks
Steve
The exam is straightforward but you do need to revise and practice reading through the book.

After Prince 2... Depends on what environment you are working in a way.

APMP, MSP, if software look at Agile, Scumm training.

You can do specifics for industry sectors.

http://www.provek.co.uk/Provek/Proje...cations-guide/

I would also join a couple of the LinkedIn Project Management groups as well.

While I am not employed as a Project Manager (I have some in my team), I do often just run a project if there are not too many moving parts, saves me hijacking people and I keep my hand in lol.

Also consider other non project management stuff that can support the overall function.

SharePoint, Excel, Microsoft Planner, Project.

Also there are ILM qualifications you can get from having set responsibilities and / or qualifications.

https://www.i-l-m.com

Six sigma / SIPOC etc can also work in creating a balanced CV.
Appreciate 1
SDH409.00
      09-07-2016, 03:00 PM   #93
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDH
Some good news...

Thanks
Steve
Good luck. P2 all open book as you know and Foundation is also multi choice. Read up and mark up your manual and your nailed on. Practitioner is a little trickier with actually loads of essay writing to complete.

Sounds like good times are ahead currently. Enjoy
      09-08-2016, 02:09 AM   #94
SDH
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
The exam is straightforward but you do need to revise and practice reading through the book.

After Prince 2... Depends on what environment you are working in a way.

APMP, MSP, if software look at Agile, Scumm training.

You can do specifics for industry sectors.

http://www.provek.co.uk/Provek/Proje...cations-guide/

I would also join a couple of the LinkedIn Project Management groups as well.

While I am not employed as a Project Manager (I have some in my team), I do often just run a project if there are not too many moving parts, saves me hijacking people and I keep my hand in lol.

Also consider other non project management stuff that can support the overall function.

SharePoint, Excel, Microsoft Planner, Project.

Also there are ILM qualifications you can get from having set responsibilities and / or qualifications.

https://www.i-l-m.com

Six sigma / SIPOC etc can also work in creating a balanced CV.
Thanks, I can tick the box a lot of what you've mentioned, but there's a few there that I can investigate. I like the sound of both APMP & Agile, think I'll ask IT dept if we have licence for Microsoft Planner as I'd like to have a play with it (never heard of it before).

"Scumm" cant find info on that, did you mean Scrum Training?

I'm currently in Automotive engineering (tier 1 supplier) but I don't need to be specific to that field as I wanted to equip myself with broader cross-business qualifications that could be applied to most fields (if that's possible)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 03:28 AM   #95
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I can tick the box a lot of what you've mentioned, but there's a few there that I can investigate. I like the sound of both APMP & Agile, think I'll ask IT dept if we have licence for Microsoft Planner as I'd like to have a play with it (never heard of it before).

"Scumm" cant find info on that, did you mean Scrum Training?

I'm currently in Automotive engineering (tier 1 supplier) but I don't need to be specific to that field as I wanted to equip myself with broader cross-business qualifications that could be applied to most fields (if that's possible)
Yes lol Scrumm

Once you are sorted with actual project management, then it's a case of do you look at managing programs of work?

With Automotive, I assume plenty of Sixsigma, / lean Kaizen etc?

Adding in something like ISO 9001: 2015, ISO 27001 and say ISO 31000 can also open extra doors as well as improve thought process and update skills.

Planner comes with Office 365, it may still be in early release.

The big thing with everything is learning how to manage a team, how to manage others not on your team and how to get people to do what you want by having them believe it is the best approach (and it's a great idea they had).
Appreciate 1
SDH409.00
      09-08-2016, 03:40 AM   #96
mpawood
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 435d xDrive M Sport

I'm late to the party but I'm pretty confused. You were asking for a salary estimate for a job you applied to that very much seemed like a Programme Manager role, yet you don't have Project Management experience nor management experience?

Glad to see you are getting new opportunities in current company. Do whatever you can but remember you might have to repay training courses if you leave too soon after!
Appreciate 1
SDH409.00
      09-08-2016, 04:33 AM   #97
SDH
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes lol Scrumm

Once you are sorted with actual project management, then it's a case of do you look at managing programs of work?

With Automotive, I assume plenty of Sixsigma, / lean Kaizen etc?

Adding in something like ISO 9001: 2015, ISO 27001 and say ISO 31000 can also open extra doors as well as improve thought process and update skills.

Planner comes with Office 365, it may still be in early release.

The big thing with everything is learning how to manage a team, how to manage others not on your team and how to get people to do what you want by having them believe it is the best approach (and it's a great idea they had).
Yes plenty of SixSigma but I'm only a green belt as until I can find a project to apply my training too I'm unlikely to gain black belt certification.

I have some insight into managing a team as I've had five years leading/managing a team (approx. 50 colleagues across 7 locations) in our global planning system. The problem being they're not my direct reports. Its certainly been a big learning curve understanding the way each one ticks and understanding how to get best results from them. (i.e. asking them to do a task without upsetting them, its amazing how different cultures require different approaches for the simplest of requests).
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 04:41 AM   #98
SDH
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpawood View Post
I'm late to the party but I'm pretty confused. You were asking for a salary estimate for a job you applied to that very much seemed like a Programme Manager role, yet you don't have Project Management experience nor management experience?

Glad to see you are getting new opportunities in current company. Do whatever you can but remember you might have to repay training courses if you leave too soon after!
Its a planning managers role.

Lol, hope you not correct about repaying training fee's, I've literally just received a call from JLR for an interview. Seems someone that works there had put my name forward, for some reason they refused to tell me who did it .
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 04:48 AM   #99
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Lol, hope you not correct about repaying training fee's, I've literally just received a call from JLR for an interview. Seems someone that works there had put my name forward, for some reason they refused to tell me who did it .
Never turn down interviews

Which JLR location?

Usually if you do specific training and you leave, they can get fees back, usually depends on costs of course and time from taking to knowing the person is leaving.
Appreciate 1
SDH409.00
      09-08-2016, 05:04 AM   #100
SDH
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Never turn down interviews

Which JLR location?

Usually if you do specific training and you leave, they can get fees back, usually depends on costs of course and time from taking to knowing the person is leaving.
Gaydon, I was hoping it was going to be the Whitley as that's much closer to my home. I'll have to see how long the commute is as I'd rather reduce it than increase from my current one. Though if the role and salary is right then...

Edit; Looks about same for time but 10 miles less than current

Last edited by SDH; 09-08-2016 at 05:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 05:22 AM   #101
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Gaydon, I was hoping it was going to be the Whitley as that's much closer to my home. I'll have to see how long the commute is as I'd rather reduce it than increase from my current one. Though if the role and salary is right then...

I hate commuting, mainly as I have only had a few years with long commutes lol.

Good luck with interview though

I have decided I am retiring at 58.

Made quite a few decisions over summer and I can happily retire then.

I could go for it earlier but would mean doing consulting work (£500 per day) but I hate consultants
Appreciate 1
SDH409.00
      09-08-2016, 05:30 AM   #102
mpawood
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 435d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpawood View Post

Read your contract! Maybe it doesn't say anything in there if they didn't intend on training you. Generally though they will have something like 100% within 3 month, 50% within 6 etc.

Also don't read too much into someone passing your name on. Recruiters, either external or internal, often use phrases like that to get your interest.

That said, don't turn down interviews like others have said! It can't hurt to see what's out there and is good practice anyway. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
SDH409.00
      09-08-2016, 06:01 AM   #103
bodtwo
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Quote:

Have you spent any time at Whitley? Gayden may be worth the commute.
      09-08-2016, 06:18 AM   #104
SDH
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodtwo View Post
Have you spent any time at Whitley? Gayden may be worth the commute.
Haven't been to either, is Whitley a shit hole then?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 06:44 AM   #105
bodtwo
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Quote:
Haven't been to either, is Whitley a shit hole then?
My knowledge is history, not been on whitley for five years now. I do know there's been lots of investment on site, new sales and marketing buildings, but i don't think there's been any investment in the test facilities/infrastructure. Others on here may know better.

Gayden has a much more focussed feel about it, facilities are good and most of the programmes seem to have their centre of excellence/facilities their.

As ever in these companies, some good people some bad, good name to have on CV and generally people who work there are respected in the other auto oem's in uk/europe/ROW. Certainly in nvh/test/durability, can't comment on project management.

Go talk to them, who know's what may come out of it and it's all experience. What's the worst that could happen
      09-09-2016, 01:20 PM   #106
SDH
Captain
Rep

Lol, ffs how humiliating. JLR emailed me today saying after receiving your application and reviewing your cv we regret to inform you we will not be proceeding with your application. Bastards, don't you remember that you contacted me, not the other way around!
Appreciate 0