F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Front Bumper damage - Can it be repaired or needs replacement?
GetBMWParts

11-07-2019, 02:45 AM   #1
theblueknight
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW 435d

Front Bumper damage - Can it be repaired or needs replacement?

Hi all,

First time posting in the forum. Became a BMW 435d owner recently after quite a long wait. (2015 model year, bought second hand; not under any dealership warranty)

This morning, to my surprise, I noticed a crack near the hinge of the front bumper on the left side of my car. I have no idea how this was caused as it's definitely not an accident; there aren't any hit marks either. My main suspicion is that this could have happened by a large pothole given my commute is riddled with them.

So the main question is whether this is repairable without replacing the bumper (i.e. at a bodyshop) or will i need to replace it?

Furthermore, is this something I can live with for some time or is there potential for the crack to worsen?

Appreciate all the info/feedback I can get.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 01:26 PM   #2
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
It looks like it has been pulled and as it’s fixed at that point has ripped. Doubt going over potholes would have done that. Do your tyres rub? Or have you ever grounded the front bumper? Have a look at the front under the bumper lip?

It also looks like it doesn’t fit too well. I’d be tempted to take the entire bumper off, take a look at it and then refit. As to repairing it, I’ve no idea.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
theblueknight
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
It looks like it has been pulled and as it’s fixed at that point has ripped. Doubt going over potholes would have done that. Do your tyres rub? Or have you ever grounded the front bumper? Have a look at the front under the bumper lip?

It also looks like it doesn’t fit too well. I’d be tempted to take the entire bumper off, take a look at it and then refit. As to repairing it, I’ve no idea.
Thanks for the info. Does indeed seem as a pull but haven't had any such incident. Tyres don't rub.

Fitment of the bumper was fine; had the car detailed a couple of months ago and made sure everything looked pristine.

As for under the bumper, I have a carbon fiber front lip. I did scrape it once or twice while getting into my parking spot in my apartment complex (it's on a steep incline) and have a few scratches underneath (expected) but other than that no case where I would suspect this to be caused. That was also weeks ago. This crack appeared within the last couple of days. My mind went to potholes as they're the only road "mishap" I've had recently.

I'll be taking the car to a local bodyshop I trust in a week or two. They've been serving both my family's cars and the rental company my dad works at for years now and does an amazing job. I believe they can repair the bumper, but in any case, I would like to see the opinion here.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 07:45 PM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblueknight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
It looks like it has been pulled and as it's fixed at that point has ripped. Doubt going over potholes would have done that. Do your tyres rub? Or have you ever grounded the front bumper? Have a look at the front under the bumper lip?

It also looks like it doesn't fit too well. I'd be tempted to take the entire bumper off, take a look at it and then refit. As to repairing it, I've no idea.
Thanks for the info. Does indeed seem as a pull but haven't had any such incident. Tyres don't rub.

Fitment of the bumper was fine; had the car detailed a couple of months ago and made sure everything looked pristine.

As for under the bumper, I have a carbon fiber front lip. I did scrape it once or twice while getting into my parking spot in my apartment complex (it's on a steep incline) and have a few scratches underneath (expected) but other than that no case where I would suspect this to be caused. That was also weeks ago. This crack appeared within the last couple of days. My mind went to potholes as they're the only road "mishap" I've had recently.

I'll be taking the car to a local bodyshop I trust in a week or two. They've been serving both my family's cars and the rental company my dad works at for years now and does an amazing job. I believe they can repair the bumper, but in any case, I would like to see the opinion here.
Yes, most likely it can be repaired.

However, I'd want to know what caused it before repairing.

Have you owned the car since new?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 07:53 PM   #5
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Wow... you really didn't remember what you did. That is a pull, I have the same damage on my S14 Silvia lowered backing up on parking spot and bumper got stuck on the concrete block. If it was a pot hole it should have more damage the other way around.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 01:50 AM   #6
theblueknight
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Yes, most likely it can be repaired.

However, I'd want to know what caused it before repairing.

Have you owned the car since new?
No; Got it second-hand 5 months ago. From what the other guys are saying sounds like a pull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Wow... you really didn't remember what you did. That is a pull, I have the same damage on my S14 Silvia lowered backing up on parking spot and bumper got stuck on the concrete block. If it was a pot hole it should have more damage the other way around.
Thanks. I understand what you're saying. If it looks and smells like a pull, it probably is.

I'll need to check with the guys that operate the car washing service for my firm. The firm basically offers this service where you can leave keys at the reception, have the pickup the car from our parking area, take it down the road to their (hand) car wash place and return it washed during the day. Though like washing it myself, I occasionally have it done at work; and did so a week ago.

Was trying to recall the places my car had been in the past couple of weeks trying to figure out the root cause and this is a 2-3 hour window where it was elsewhere without me in it.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 06:14 AM   #7
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

It "can" be repaired with a plastic/nitrogen welder. Most good collision shops have them. However, it depends on your expectations. If you want it perfect get a new one. If you're trying to be cost effective, then repair it.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #8
theblueknight
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyG-inFlaNow View Post
It "can" be repaired with a plastic/nitrogen welder. Most good collision shops have them. However, it depends on your expectations. If you want it perfect get a new one. If you're trying to be cost effective, then repair it.
Thanks!

Given the body shop I use has done a great job in the past for me/family on several occasions, and thus know what to expect, I'll probably go with the repair route.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 10:57 AM   #9
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xdrive

Can you check for any signs of previous front end work? Bolts that look like they have been screwed/unscrewed, anything different from left side to right one in paint quality outside and inside the engine bay, etc. I would suspect previous damage that was not properly mended and cracked again
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 02:41 PM   #10
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblueknight View Post
Thanks!

Given the body shop I use has done a great job in the past for me/family on several occasions, and thus know what to expect, I'll probably go with the repair route.
ask them if they have a nitrogen welder. They may look at you like Who T/F is this guy????
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 02:54 PM   #11
Tchao
Boost Addict
Rep
Drives: E30, E82, F30, F87

I'd also go for repair....not for cost, but to keep the better quality paint work.

Ive had several bumpers replaced and painted, none of them seem to hold up to rock chips of daily driving like OEM paint does. Different shops, one was PPG paint shop too.
(Yah yah yah I need PPF installed, I know lol)
      11-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #12
theblueknight
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
Can you check for any signs of previous front end work? Bolts that look like they have been screwed/unscrewed, anything different from left side to right one in paint quality outside and inside the engine bay, etc. I would suspect previous damage that was not properly mended and cracked again
Checked and nothing suspicious. Also had a thorough check before purchasing it and all was in near mint condition. Previous owner had it well looked after (he upgraded to an M3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyG-inFlaNow View Post
ask them if they have a nitrogen welder. They may look at you like Who T/F is this guy????
Will do, haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchao View Post
I'd also go for repair....not for cost, but to keep the better quality paint work.

Ive had several bumpers replaced and painted, none of them seem to hold up to rock chips of daily driving like OEM paint does. Different shops, one was PPG paint shop too.
(Yah yah yah I need PPF installed, I know lol)
Thanks for the advice. Indeed it seems to be holding up quite well considering the amount of rocks (especially from lorries) and other debris in my daily commute
Appreciate 0