F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Dog - Should I get one
ARMA SPEED

11-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #155
Esto-Grande
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
I think I remember hearing somewhere they have a problem from inter-breeding where the brain gets too big for the skull and causes neurological problems.
My current CKC has the Syringomyelia it was diagnosed at age 2, she's now 12 she has involuntary scratching but we taught her to shake her head it calms her down, she is a fabulous dog and is our fourth and it's true that they are fabulous around children.

I can't recommend them as a breed and a family pet enough. The key is to look on "thecavalierclub.co.uk" at the breeders and check the parents and health certificates. She's not snappy at all and neither were our other three.

My sons working Cocker is also a terrific dog, but as he's from Working Stock is incredibly demanding with boundless energy.
      11-29-2016, 03:52 PM   #156
Esto-Grande
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
I have been thinking about getting my lads one.

I have been told Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are kid friendly and low maintenance.

Any one know anything about them?
We've had four Cav's and I look after my Sons Working Cocker.

Cav's are brillaint.

See my post above.
      11-30-2016, 01:18 AM   #157
Ashway
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Vogue Westminster

Ours are show Cockers, my son has a working cocker the difference in energy levels is immense.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 03:56 AM   #158
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashway View Post
Ours are show Cockers, my son has a working cocker the difference in energy levels is immense.
Also have a working cocker and a springer (seemingly with uprated spring.....) - there arent enough walks in the world for them!

working cocker is very intelligent though. A great dog. Springer is.... well, she is cute.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 12:45 PM   #159
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Also have a working cocker and a springer (seemingly with uprated spring.....) - there arent enough walks in the world for them!

working cocker is very intelligent though. A great dog. Springer is.... well, she is cute.
We had a laugh the other week in Cannoc.

Our group about 25 Dalmatians out for usual 20 miler.

Coming the other way an hour or so in, a group of about 25 Springers on a similar walk lol.

Both big groups passed, no problems, no handbags etc.

Just 50 muddy but happy dogs lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #160
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashway View Post
Excuse my ignorance but what's the difference between a show and working cocker??
      12-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #161
Bbbeemer
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 840i CG

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
I have been thinking about getting my lads one.

I have been told Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are kid friendly and low maintenance.

Any one know anything about them?
Cavs are great dogs, we have a small football team of them and they are the sweetest dogs I have ever owned. All they want from life is love, attention and a lap and you can't do much wrong by them. As they were bred as lap dogs in years gone by they do love attention and I have never come across anyone who has a bad word for the breed.

One word of caution though, all of our cavs are rescue dogs and they have spent the first few years of their lives living in conditions you don't want to think about. As a breed they can be prone to heart disease and certain brain distinctions and that is only made worse by some of the puppy farms out there as they just breed them for profit, no matter what hereditary conditions they may have. You need to therefore be careful where you get them from as there are some very good breeders out there who are working hard to try and breed the conditions out.

Having said all that if we get more they will be rescue dogs again as we do what we do because they have had a really awful life to date. We give them a home for however long that will be to enjoy the comforts they should have had from a puppy. We lost one not long ago with heart disease, three of the current clan have heart conditions and two have early signs of a brain condition that's common in the breed. It's not for everyone, emotionally it can be tough but despite their problems I wouldn't change any of them.

Healthy or not so healthy, they are fantastic dogs and you won't be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #162
Esto-Grande
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The long version.

http://www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/cocker_faq.htm
      12-02-2016, 03:15 AM   #163
Ashway
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Vogue Westminster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. 101 View Post
Excuse my ignorance but what's the difference between a show and working cocker??
EstoGrande beat me to it in the post above^^^^^
Appreciate 1
Kal1013105.00
      02-20-2017, 06:39 AM   #164
320dAsh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Touring

I've got a Lab. She costs around £35 for food, £40 for insurance and £10 for other treats per month. I would get insurance. We've had some big bills - £3000 for a blockage which needed a 24hr barium study, x-rays every 4 hours etc.
Split her stitches following spay (on a sunday so had to be emergency vets) £1500.

I wouldn't be without a dog. Gets me out in all weather, Great companion, always pleased to see me, Feel safe at night as she will bark if she hears anything strange.

I sometimes look after a friend's Labradoodle. (had her for 3 months when they were in Sri Lanka).
She is an incredible dog, extremely intelligent and very energetic. She malts like a trooper though. I thought my lab was bad but this labradoodle wins hands down on shedding hair.
Appreciate 0