F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Brake noise on sweeping right hand turn on-ramp
Extreme Powerhouse

02-15-2021, 08:28 AM   #1
kevmk81
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2016 Odyssey SE

Brake noise on sweeping right hand turn on-ramp

Taking a local on-ramp in my '16 340i I'm hearing what sounds to me like brake rub. It's repeatable - but - it's only on this single specific on-ramp. I'm assuming the camber and angle of the ramp is just right to get the brakes to do this. Once I'm on the interstate all seems well. I'm not entirely sure which wheel it's coming from - too dang cold to drive with windows down right now - I wouldn't be able to focus on the sound. One thing to mention - when I use the e-brake when I park - when I start driving again there is brake rub until I use the brakes again, say at the next stop sign/street light. Once I drive off - the brake noise is gone. I found my 340i in January at a BMW dealership. The car fax report indicates that all the work the previous owner had done was at their local dealership, so I'm thinking, according to the report, that the only brake work that has been done has been a brake fluid flush/change. So at this point I believe the pads and rotors are original. Car has 36k miles. Any thoughts on what the rub is all about? I'm not really concerned right now but I can imagine it'll get worse. My gut feeling is the brake shield maybe, but that wouldn't affect the ebrake from fully releasing right? I'm brake mechanics ignorant.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 09:04 PM   #2
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmk81 View Post
Taking a local on-ramp in my '16 340i I'm hearing what sounds to me like brake rub. It's repeatable - but - it's only on this single specific on-ramp. I'm assuming the camber and angle of the ramp is just right to get the brakes to do this. Once I'm on the interstate all seems well. I'm not entirely sure which wheel it's coming from - too dang cold to drive with windows down right now - I wouldn't be able to focus on the sound. One thing to mention - when I use the e-brake when I park - when I start driving again there is brake rub until I use the brakes again, say at the next stop sign/street light. Once I drive off - the brake noise is gone. I found my 340i in January at a BMW dealership. The car fax report indicates that all the work the previous owner had done was at their local dealership, so I'm thinking, according to the report, that the only brake work that has been done has been a brake fluid flush/change. So at this point I believe the pads and rotors are original. Car has 36k miles. Any thoughts on what the rub is all about? I'm not really concerned right now but I can imagine it'll get worse. My gut feeling is the brake shield maybe, but that wouldn't affect the ebrake from fully releasing right? I'm brake mechanics ignorant.
Hard to tell what the problem could be but if you believe the pads are sticking under certain conditions, you'll need to check the calipers.

On M Sport, 2 piston calipers (grey, blue, yellow, red), there are two thin push pins, which, according to RealOEM, require a change every 4 years. There is also an anti-rattle clip, which also requires a change every 4 years. These are relatively cheap parts so you may want to swap them anyway. They act as springs that are constantly under load regardless of whether the car is moving or not, the brake is used or not.

For single piston calipers, check where the 'ears' of the pad rest on the caliper carrier. Over time, dirt builds up on the caliper carrier and can cause the pads to stick. Clean the carrier where the pads sit with a wire brush and manually move the pad on the carrier to check for binding. The single piston caliper also has two pins, shorter but much thicker than the front calipers which can also get dirty which can contribute to binding. I use Nevr-Dull Wadding Metal Polish with success in cleaning these pins. You could replace them but they are relatively expensive and I’ve never run into an issue where they needed replacement. Part of the issue with the thicker caliper pins is over greasing. BMW, and other makers, say no grease, but most shops, and many DIYers will use at least a little. This aids in preventing binding but does attract dirt, which contributes to binding.

Good luck in tracking down the problem. My guess is your problem sounds minor but checking won't hurt and a new set of pins and clips for a 2-piston caliper won't hurt either.

Last edited by casualDIYer; 02-17-2021 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 08:42 AM   #3
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmk81 View Post
Do you have dimpled/slotted rotors?
Then, the noise is normal when driving. (Wind noise)
Otherwise it could be caused by rusty rotors or pads, or caliper pistons that don't work correctly (to free the space between Pad and rotor when releasing the brake), causing a constant contact.

The emergency brake is not used during normal driving/braking.
This can cause the brake to rust.
You can try to slow down the car a few times using the emergency brake.
Like a few runs from 30mph to stop.
This can clear the rust of the emergency brake.

Put it on a jack and turn each wheel separatelly to see if you can locate it to a specific wheel.
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 01:31 PM   #4
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Are we sure its not the e-lsd? It uses brakes to control wheelspin while cornering right?
      03-01-2021, 10:47 AM   #5
kevmk81
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2016 Odyssey SE

Hey everyone - thanks for chiming in and providing some thoughts. I did a few 30->0 mph full and slow stops using the handbrake. The brakes aren't rubbing on the on ramp anymore. Still some brake rub after using the handbrake though. I have a feeling it might need adjusted. I can do that myself though I think right? Removing the wheel and taking a small flat head screw driver and tighten the handbrake adjustment 'thing' by moving it up (or down?) Again I'm not real worried about it. I do have a feeling that the pads and/or rotors are soon going to be ready for replacement - which I think I may be able to do myself.
Appreciate 0