F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan Shockware: The Skinny......
GetBMWParts

10-19-2015, 08:45 PM   #23
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

UPDATE AFTER SEVERAL WEEKS:

Am thoroughly satisfied with my decision to go ahead with Shockware.

The driving experience has been greatly enhanced and I have zero regrets. I've also been using the Dinan sport setting a lot more than I ever thought I would.....go figure!!

This is coming from someone who is very selective about "upgrades" and doesn't take for granted the level of factory engineering. For eg: I would never consider installing springs for the purpose of aesthetics.....to me, the compromises made to the overall suspension design would vastly supersede any visual enhancement in stance etc.

I've also happened to have done the wheel & tire thing before and learned, the hard way, the adverse effect of altering things like scrub radius and steering inclination for the sake of fitment and aesthetics.

With all that being said; I think Shockware is an excellent improvement and great bang for the buck.

I don't believe in using superlatives like "transformational" when describing things of this nature. Here is what I will say......unless you're in an ultra urban setting where the road surfaces are a disaster; I would whole heartedly recommend Dinan's shockware reprogram.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 09:13 PM   #24
P-Bass
The Ox
Rep
Drives: 2009 Porsche Carrera S Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
UPDATE AFTER SEVERAL WEEKS:

Am thoroughly satisfied with my decision to go ahead with Shockware.

The driving experience has been greatly enhanced and I have zero regrets. I've also been using the Dinan sport setting a lot more than I ever thought I would.....go figure!!

This is coming from someone who is very selective about "upgrades" and doesn't take for granted the level of factory engineering. For eg: I would never consider installing springs for the purpose of aesthetics.....to me, the compromises made to the overall suspension design would vastly supersede any visual enhancement in stance etc.

I've also happened to have done the wheel & tire thing before and learned, the hard way, the adverse effect of altering things like scrub radius and steering inclination for the sake of fitment and aesthetics.

With all that being said; I think Shockware is an excellent improvement and great bang for the buck.

I don't believe in using superlatives like "transformational" when describing things of this nature. Here is what I will say......unless you're in an ultra urban setting where the road surfaces are a disaster; I would whole heartedly recommend Dinan's shockware reprogram.

Now add Dinan Springs and Bump Stops and it will be "transformational", the way the car (at least the X) should have come from the factory. I actually think it's more comfortable in Sport now than before. To me control/stability equals comfort. I'm like you, form follows function, with the springs you get both. The car looks and drives great. I rarely, if ever, drive in use Comfort, don't like it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 06:16 PM   #25
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

I just had the Dinan Shockware installed in my wife's 435i GC this morning and drove around all day to see the effect. Below are what I observed.

- Comfort: the new comfort mode is somewhere between the stock comfort and sport mode. It still allows some rebound to retain the comfort, but dials out most of the body roll and wobble, which are what made the stock comfort mode so unpleasant to drive in. This is what the adaptive suspension should've come with from the factory. The comfort is retained 100% in the new Shockware as it still allows some rebound, and as a matter of fact, the new comfort mode is more comfortable because most of the wobble and body roll are gone. The new comfort mode is not as stiff as the stock sport mode and does not transmit as much road texture feel, so it's perfect for daily driving.

- Sport Mode: i would say the new sport mode isn't too different from the stock sport mode and just a tad tighter. Every road texture can be felt but it doesn't cause discomfort. Body roll is completely gone and the car turns very flat, pretty much the same as my F80.

Who should buy the Shockware? Those who feel that the stock comfort mode is too soft and the steering in sport mode is too heavy. The Shockware allows the comfort steering and a tight (yet still comfortable) suspension. If you are ok with the heavy sport steering, there is no need to get the Shockware as you can simply put the car in sport mode to have the sporty suspension.
      05-09-2016, 08:23 PM   #26
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54 View Post
I just had the Dinan Shockware installed in my wife's 435i GC this morning and drove around all day to see the effect. Below are what I observed.

- Comfort: the new comfort mode is somewhere between the stock comfort and sport mode. It still allows some rebound to retain the comfort, but dials out most of the body roll and wobble, which are what made the stock comfort mode so unpleasant to drive in. This is what the adaptive suspension should've come with from the factory. The comfort is retained 100% in the new Shockware as it still allows some rebound, and as a matter of fact, the new comfort mode is more comfortable because most of the wobble and body roll are gone. The new comfort mode is not as stiff as the stock sport mode and does not transmit as much road texture feel, so it's perfect for daily driving.

- Sport Mode: i would say the new sport mode isn't too different from the stock sport mode and just a tad tighter. Every road texture can be felt but it doesn't cause discomfort. Body roll is completely gone and the car turns very flat, pretty much the same as my F80.

Who should buy the Shockware? Those who feel that the stock comfort mode is too soft and the steering in sport mode is too heavy. The Shockware allows the comfort steering and a tight (yet still comfortable) suspension. If you are ok with the heavy sport steering, there is no need to get the Shockware as you can simply put the car in sport mode to have the sporty suspension.
Now you need the springs.
      05-09-2016, 09:22 PM   #27
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost
Quote:

Now you need the springs.
Haha there's no way my wife would lower her car as its already pretty low in the stock form and bottom of the front bumper would scrape parking blocks.
      05-10-2016, 11:40 PM   #28
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:

The Dinan guys have come on this site and explained the shockware.

It makes the comfort/eco the same as the old sport and gives a new more aggressive setting for sport and sport+. It's not "in between" or anything like that. That said, I'm having it put on right now. Partially because I don't like having to put it into sport all the time to prevent the wallow and chassis movement and partly in anticipation of ACS springs I ordered.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 11:45 PM   #29
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes
Quote:

The Dinan guys have come on this site and explained the shockware.

It makes the comfort/eco the same as the old sport and gives a new more aggressive setting for sport and sport+. It's not "in between" or anything like that. That said, I'm having it put on right now. Partially because I don't like having to put it into sport all the time to prevent the wallow and chassis movement and partly in anticipation of ACS springs I ordered.
I know the Dinan guys explained it, but the new comfort mode is definitely not the old sport mode because there is definitely more rebound and body roll. The old sport mode is noticeably firmer than the new comfort mode.

Once you get it installed let me know if you feel the same way.
      05-11-2016, 08:57 AM   #30
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I know the Dinan guys explained it, but the new comfort mode is definitely not the old sport mode because there is definitely more rebound and body roll. The old sport mode is noticeably firmer than the new comfort mode.

Will do.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 08:15 AM   #31
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54

Is your 435 xDrive or RWD? I'm planning the shockware + springs for my F31 next month (has M adaptive suspension). Just curious if these impressions are for an xDrive model.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 08:17 AM   #32
okolisr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 435i xDrive Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootCanal05 View Post
I tried to get Shockware installed twice on my 2015 335 but the car would constantly throw a code. The only fix was to reprogram the entire car to stock. At least I got the latest iDrive maps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono06 View Post
I heard about this too when I previously inquired on it.

I was warned that some cars would reject the Shockware, but there was no way to know why or if it would, until the install was done. They said that all the cars that Dinan have received in their own shop have never rejected the Shockware, so there's nothing they can do to investigate further at the moment.
Is there any news from Dinan Engineering yet on all these Shockware installation failures?

My BMW dealer's Shockware installation in my 2015 435i xDrive 6MT was a failure too, and everything had to be reset to default. Dinan reimbursed the dealer for the install time and clearly acknowledged that this was a well known and well documented problem that "they are working on."

I still would like to get Shockware installed. Any progress on the fix?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 08:55 AM   #33
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep

It's RWD. I've read posts that some owners of F31 aren't as happy with the Dinan Shockware as the coupe or sedan owners, something about the rear of the car not being properly damped by the Shockware and bouncing around. I would suggest that you double check with those owners to get detailed feed backs before getting the Shockware.
      05-13-2016, 09:20 AM   #34
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54
It's RWD. I've read posts that some owners of F31 aren't as happy with the Dinan Shockware as the coupe or sedan owners, something about the rear of the car not being properly damped by the Shockware and bouncing around. I would suggest that you double check with those owners to get detailed feed backs before getting the Shockware.
Yeah, Dinan is apparently recommending the ACS springs to pair with the shockware for the F31, mainly due to the extra weight of the rear end of the car. Some have reported back with good results. I'll get in touch with Dinan myself to see what they think too. Cheers!

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 12:22 AM   #35
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I'm not entirely convinced yet of this. I think the lightness of the steering wheel in eco or comfort contributes. There might be a difference though and it's definitely better than the old eco/comfort, no doubt there. It's at least livable, whereas the old setting felt like a boat. The new sport mode isn't terrible either, but I think it will be best paired with the ACS springs that are finally on their way.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2016, 05:47 PM   #36
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes
Quote:

I'm not entirely convinced yet of this. I think the lightness of the steering wheel in eco or comfort contributes. There might be a difference though and it's definitely better than the old eco/comfort, no doubt there. It's at least livable, whereas the old setting felt like a boat. The new sport mode isn't terrible either, but I think it will be best paired with the ACS springs that are finally on their way.
I agree. The new comfort mode is worlds better than the stock one, which was unbearable honestly.

I also agree with the new sport mode needing new springs because the stock sport springs are somewhat soft. I can feel the damper working hard to keep the body motion to a minimum, but the car overall does not feel stiff enough.
      03-06-2017, 12:21 PM   #37
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

just got shockware for my '16 328i last week
the new eco/comfort mode is great
new sport/sport+ ... i can tell it's a little stiffer but i haven't really had the chance to test it out so i don't know if it makes enough difference
i'm probably going to get dinan springs to complete the package

my question is ...
is there ANY indication that a car has dinan shockware installed?
there is zero visible difference in the mode selectors and descriptions
so how can one tell if the car has shockware or not?

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #38
willcoop
Rep
Drives: z3 coupe

I just had shockware loaded onto my f31. I would recommend it to anyone with adaptive suspension and especially anyone on the fence about doing it. I was hesitant to have it installed because I didn't mind the comfort setting and wanted it smooth for long road trips.

The shockware is incredible and feels great. The part of it I like the most is the feeling of the steering after installing shockware. The original BMW comfort setting had very light steering while sport what very heavy. The steering feel with shockware is heavier than bmw comfort but doesn't feel extra heavy like the original sport setting. To me the steering feel is the biggest improvement.

My dealer only charged me for .5 hours of worked like is stated on dinans websites.
Appreciate 1
AudiA4647.50
      03-07-2017, 10:15 PM   #39
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
just got shockware for my '16 328i last week
the new eco/comfort mode is great
new sport/sport+ ... i can tell it's a little stiffer but i haven't really had the chance to test it out so i don't know if it makes enough difference
i'm probably going to get dinan springs to complete the package

my question is ...
is there ANY indication that a car has dinan shockware installed?
there is zero visible difference in the mode selectors and descriptions
so how can one tell if the car has shockware or not?
I recall reading that Dinan used to offer a sticker you can stick on the underside of the hood (I didn't get one and didn't ask for one) to let technicians know before they flash the car's software. But not really anything else visible.

I went dinan springs and bump after shockware. Shockware was good but not enough for me

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #40
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcoop View Post
I just had shockware loaded onto my f31. I would recommend it to anyone with adaptive suspension and especially anyone on the fence about doing it. I was hesitant to have it installed because I didn't mind the comfort setting and wanted it smooth for long road trips.

The shockware is incredible and feels great. The part of it I like the most is the feeling of the steering after installing shockware. The original BMW comfort setting had very light steering while sport what very heavy. The steering feel with shockware is heavier than bmw comfort but doesn't feel extra heavy like the original sport setting. To me the steering feel is the biggest improvement.

My dealer only charged me for .5 hours of worked like is stated on dinans websites.
Shockware does not touch the EPS. What you're feeling re: steering weight is a placebo effect.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 07:43 PM   #41
willcoop
Rep
Drives: z3 coupe

Quote:
Shockware does not touch the EPS. What you're feeling re: steering weight is a placebo effect.
That is a good placebo then. Stock the steering feel was very noticeably different between comfort and sport. After Shockware I can't tell a difference between comfort and sport. This is how they should come from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 08:00 PM   #42
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by willcoop View Post
That is a good placebo then. Stock the steering feel was very noticeably different between comfort and sport. After Shockware I can't tell a difference between comfort and sport. This is how they should come from the factory.
hmmmmmmmmm
i must do SOMETHING because the steering in comfort/eco feels much better now after shockware

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 10:15 AM   #43
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
I didn't notice any difference in steering feel after shockware... Maybe you guys are confusing how the car feels through the seat and body roll with actual feedback from the steering wheel.
Appreciate 1
ceedawg467.50
      03-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #44
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I didn't notice any difference in steering feel after shockware... Maybe you guys are confusing how the car feels through the seat and body roll with actual feedback from the steering wheel.
Bingo!
Appreciate 1
ceedawg467.50