F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Transfer Case adaptation reset
ARMA SPEED

05-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #1
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

Transfer Case adaptation reset

Hi all,

Is there any harm to do transfer case adaptation reset without changing the fluid?
My transfer case seems notchy when I power out of corners, not too bad but definitely not as smooth as it used to be. I have Foxwell NT510 that I could use for the reset.

I figure if I do the adaptation reset and it doesn't help, off to the dealer I go. From my research on the forums, these adaptations seem to be a grey area. Some say reset anytime, others say reset only after fluid change or your case will grenade, others say don't bother with reset after fluid change....you get the idea.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 02:08 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Never heard for a transfer case specifically, but i know for transmission XHP and others specifically say to never reset adaptations. Dunno if this helps.

If you are under warranty i would just go to the dealer and see what they say, the last thing you want to try is try to take matters into your own hands and either make it worse or make them not want to cover any potential issue.
Appreciate 0