F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Oil service flush - Engine Decontamination Treatment (EDT)?
GetBMWParts

10-13-2021, 03:04 PM   #1
allblackeverything435D
England
Rep
Drives: F32 435d xDrive M Sport

Oil service flush - Engine Decontamination Treatment (EDT)?

Hi All,

My 435d (6 years, approx 55k miles) is booked in at a main dealer tomorrow for an oil and microfilter service. They called me today to offer an EDT (Engine Decontamination Treatment) oil flush for an additional £190 or so.

They also text me a video with more info:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z89...SV&OCID=MY01SV

I'd never heard of this, or been offered it before. A quick Google suggests numerous positive reviews, although many of these seem to be from garages offering the service.

Has anyone had this done and would recommend it?

Thanks in advance.
      10-13-2021, 03:24 PM   #2
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

190 quid... Wow.

Rather than using fancy tech to get another 100ml out, I would personally use the money to service it twice as often. You'll never get sludge with 7k intervals.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 03:32 PM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

You could achieve pretty much the same thing by using a traditional engine flush treatment. There are several established brands in the market including Liqui Moli and Archoil. They typically cost £10-20.

I use an engine flush additive each time a I do an intermediate oil change - every 7K or so.

These flushing additives are added when the engine is at full operating temperature and the engine is then allowed to idle for around 20 minutes.

They key is never to drive the car when the flushing additive is in the system - it has powerful cleansing agents which dissolve deposits and hold them in suspension, however, they also thin the oil and reduce its protective properties under load.

The old oil is then thoroughly drained, oil filter is replaced, and fresh oil added as per normal.

No way I'd pay £190 for an equivalent treatment in addition to the cost of the oil service.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 04:45 PM   #4
planemad
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 Audi SQ7 & 2019 AM DB11
Location: The Democratic Peoples Republic Of South East England

What a load of tosh
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 04:48 PM   #5
Craig-SM
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport - F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
You could achieve pretty much the same thing by using a traditional engine flush treatment. There are several established brands in the market including Liqui Moli and Archoil. They typically cost £10-20.

I use an engine flush additive each time a I do an intermediate oil change - every 7K or so.

These flushing additives are added when the engine is at full operating temperature and the engine is then allowed to idle for around 20 minutes.

They key is never to drive the car when the flushing additive is in the system - it has powerful cleansing agents which dissolve deposits and hold them in suspension, however, they also thin the oil and reduce its protective properties under load.

The old oil is then thoroughly drained, oil filter is replaced, and fresh oil added as per normal.

No way I'd pay £190 for an equivalent treatment in addition to the cost of the oil service.
Sums up my thoughts. I do the same as you but add some oil prior to putting the sump plug in just remove any last remainder of old oil. Then plug back in and fill.

Some of the claims for this treatment I’d take with a very pinch of salt. Just the same as the Carbon Clean claims.
Appreciate 0