F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Changing the battery on my F31
ARMA SPEED

10-14-2021, 02:21 PM   #1
martin10chk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 316i, F21 M135i (gone)

Changing the battery on my F31

I am somewhat unjustifiably pleased with myself for having successfully replaced and registered the battery on my F31. I mean its hardly like I rebuilt the engine ... but it still feels an achievement. First off there are trim panels to remove (sneaky expanding plastic rivets) before you can even get to the battery. Then the battery clamp bolt is really difficult to access - used every 3/8 socket extension I could lay hands on to get down to it at the bottom of the battery recess -- with all of about 2 inches of space to work in down there. And then ... the wonders of modern cars you have to register the thing with the car. Thank you Bimmerlink for that. Wow - bring back my Triumph Herald. A battery change barely needed a spanner.
Appreciate 2
      10-14-2021, 03:54 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin10chk View Post
I am somewhat unjustifiably pleased with myself for having successfully replaced and registered the battery on my F31. I mean its hardly like I rebuilt the engine ... but it still feels an achievement. First off there are trim panels to remove (sneaky expanding plastic rivets) before you can even get to the battery. Then the battery clamp bolt is really difficult to access - used every 3/8 socket extension I could lay hands on to get down to it at the bottom of the battery recess -- with all of about 2 inches of space to work in down there. And then ... the wonders of modern cars you have to register the thing with the car. Thank you Bimmerlink for that. Wow - bring back my Triumph Herald. A battery change barely needed a spanner.
I sense your feeling of success!

Yes, we are in a different era. Now we have to be prepared to initialise this or that, possibly reset a multitude of stuff and likely hit a snag, or some error throwing up which we didn't expect.

I'd have thought nothing about changing batteries on my older cars. I was rebuilding engines, gearboxes and rear axles in those days.

Must admit I chickened out of sourcing and fitting/registering a new battery for the 535i, a few weeks back. Got a quote from my dealer which was very competitive, (particularly for an OE BMW battery) that I let them do it and make sure all was working before I drove away.

No accomplishment, but about £30 for the lack of stress was worth it. I sense I'm past the time where I need the risk of added hassle.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 04:04 PM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

It's a bastard of a job. As you say, the restricted access is ridiculous.

Clearly designed to be far more difficult than necessary.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 04:35 PM   #4
martin10chk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
It's a bastard of a job. As you say, the restricted access is ridiculous.

Clearly designed to be far more difficult than necessary.
Yes - I did begin to wonder whose bright idea this design was!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 04:37 PM   #5
martin10chk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I sense your feeling of success!

Yes, we are in a different era. Now we have to be prepared to initialise this or that, possibly reset a multitude of stuff and likely hit a snag, or some error throwing up which we didn't expect.

I'd have thought nothing about changing batteries on my older cars. I was rebuilding engines, gearboxes and rear axles in those days.

Must admit I chickened out of sourcing and fitting/registering a new battery for the 535i, a few weeks back. Got a quote from my dealer which was very competitive, (particularly for an OE BMW battery) that I let them do it and make sure all was working before I drove away.

No accomplishment, but about £30 for the lack of stress was worth it. I sense I'm past the time where I need the risk of added hassle.
With hindsight I would have paid £30. Gladly!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 04:50 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin10chk View Post
With hindsight I would have paid £30. Gladly!
I did look at the job, the space in the 5-series battery well does have enough room. Quite tight, but I have worked in much tighter spaces in the past.

I did take on sorting the loose front brake backing plates. That did save me a few quid, but even pulling brakes apart to remove the discs, is not a job I really enjoy any more, to be honest. Not sure I chose the easiest job.
Appreciate 0