F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY: F30 High Beam Assist Retrofit (Xenon Only)
Extreme Powerhouse

04-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #1
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

DIY: F30 High Beam Assist Retrofit (Xenon Only)

Hello again everyone, just wrapped up the finishing touches on this retrofit and thought I would share it. This feature is especially helpful for those who drive in areas that are not well-lit, as well as being another one of those “wow” features that our cars have.

Total cost for this ended up being around $400 USD for the actual 5AC parts and $750 for the optional headlight housings, not factoring the extra money recovered from selling the original parts removed from the car. Patience and waiting for finding good deals on the auction sites makes it much more reasonable than buying parts new.

DISCLAIMER: As will all DIY projects, undertake this at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything that happens to you or your car! This retrofit will require you to remove your airbag and your steering wheel, so if you are not comfortable with doing this, please find someone who is willing to assist you with that part of the retrofit. With that said, on to the write-up!

Pre-Requisites: At a minimum, your car must be equipped with Xenon Headlights

Parts List: (Note: Part #’s may vary per vehicle. Parts listed below are for a US F30 sedan. Check RealOEM or ETK to confirm correct Part #’s for your vehicle)

Minimum Required Parts:
- Steering Column Switch Cluster – 61319242280/61319253752/61319351146, all are the same and any one of the three will work
- Rear View Mirror with FLA Camera(supports all other options, EC, Alarm LED, etc.) – 51169345370 – other part numbers are available here , like the above, any of them will work.
- Mirror Baseplate - 51169275006(Qty. 1)
- Socket Contact Wiring Pins for connecting mirror to CAN wires – 61130005197(Qty. 2)
- OEM Wire Taps for CAN signals – 61138364566(Qty. 2)

Optional Parts:
If you want to have the Adaptive High Beam feature(where it moves the light around the cars instead of just turning it on/off), you will need to replace your Headlight Housings in order not to still be dazzling other drivers. The reason for this is that the US adaptive xenon headlights are missing one of the shutters that allow it to completely form the “light tunnel”. Easiest place to try to find these is on the German eBay site(ebay.de). Some search terms to help with looking for them are BMW F30 Xenon, followed by Rechts(right) or Links(left). Kurvenlicht is another term for the adaptive light. BMW F30 Scheinwerfer is another search to try, scheinwerfer meaning headlights. You will see some listings that may have the terms you searched for but don't show the part #. My recommendation is not to buy it unless you are able to visually verify the part #, just so you don't end up getting the wrong thing. Also, make sure to look the pictures over thoroughly for damage/broken tabs.
- European Adaptive Xenon Headlight Housing, Left(Driver) – 63117259527
- European Adaptive Xenon Headlight Housing, Right(Passenger) - 63117259528

Tools Required:
- Socket Set with 16mm(Deep if possible) , 10mm, 8mm, and 6mm sockets
- Hex/T set – This project requires sizes ranging from T-20 to T-35/T-40
- Flat Screwdriver/Pry tool for removing the plastic expanding rivets
- Pliers
- Standard black electrical tape
- 2 additional colors of electrical tape (I used Yellow and Blue. You can use whichever colors you like, however for reference, I will refer to the colors I used in the write-up)

Prep Work:
- Disconnect Negative Terminal from Battery – Make sure all doors are unlocked and that the hood and trunk are open first

OPTIONAL - Headlight Housing Replacement:
This only needs to be completed if you are swapping the Headlight Housing for the Euro version. The linked document below from the F30 Xenon Retrofit does a wonderful job of explaining how to remove the front bumper and remove the headlights. No additional wiring is needed for the Euro versions, just remove the old ones, swap the parts over, and install the new ones.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Installing the new Steering Column Switch Cluster:
- Move the steering wheel to the bottom, extended position
- Starting at the back top of the trim(towards the dash, right below the instrument cluster), pull up to release the top trim and move towards the front of the wheel
- Once the top is loose, move it up. It is not necessary to completely remove it
- On the sides of the column, you should now be able to see the two tabs that hold the bottom trim to the column. Push outwards(away from the column) to release those tabs and pull down to remove the trim
- Disconnect the 2-pin wire from the Aerial Transponder, and the 4-pin connector from the Heated Steering Wheel Switch(if present), and then set the bottom trim panel off to the side
- Using the screwdriver, insert it into one side of the steering wheel and press inward to release that side of the airbag module. Repeat on the other side, and when the airbag comes loose, disconnect the airbag from the Steering Column Switch Cluster
- With the airbag removed, you can see the large 16mm bolt that holds the Steering Wheel in place. Use the 16mm socket to remove the bolt.

- Remove the 4 6mm bolts from the old cluster as shown below, then remove the wiring connectors and slide the cluster off of the steering column.

- Install the new Switch Cluster by sliding it into place and connecting the wiring harnesses. Reattach the 4 6mm bolts.
- Slide the Steering Wheel back into place. It is grooved with one large tab at the bottom, so you cannot install it incorrectly
- Once the wheel is in place, reattach the 16mm bolt to secure the wheel in place
- Connect the 2 wire connectors in the steering wheel to their appropriate spots on the Switch Cluster
- Reconnect the airbag, then push it into place. You will be able to feel it click back into place and it will be secure
- Reconnect the Aerial Transponder and Heated Steering Switch(if present) wire harnesses
- At this point, you can replace the Steering Column Trim back into position

Installing the new Mirror with FLA camera:
- Start by pulling the old mirror trim pieces apart to expose the rear view mirror base
- Next, disconnect the wiring harness from the mirror
- Using some force but being as gentle as possible, slide the mirror downward to remove it from the windshield
- Once the old mirror is removed, you can slide the new mirror upwards until you feel it lock into place

Wiring for the FLA camera:
The wiring for this retrofit is actually quite simple, since the wires you need are located at the connectors for the Roof Control Module

- Start by removing the old roof module by using your fingers to pull down on the trim panel towards the sunroof area
- Once the trim is removed, you will notice one small rectangular hole on each side. Use the flat headed screwdriver to push the clip inside that slot towards the middle of the module while pulling down to release it. Repeat for the other side
- You should now be able to see the wiring you are looking for. It is in the bundle of wires coming from the large Black 16-Pin connector
- Take the 2 Socket Contacts and mark one with the Blue electrical tape and the other with the Yellow Electrical tape
- Connect the Yellow Socket Contact to the 10-Pin Mirror connector, Slot #4
- Connect the Blue Socket Contact to the 10-Pin Mirror connector, Slot #5

- Route the wiring up along the existing wire bundle until you reach the CAN wires for the Roof Module(you may need to extend them slightly using 18-gauge wire if needed)
- Using the OEM wire taps, connect the Blue-marked wire to the Yellow/Brown CAN wire, and the Yellow-marked wire to the Yellow/Red CAN wire

- Carefully push the Roof Control Module back into place and reattach the trim piece
- Connect the 10-pin Mirror harness to the new mirror, and then replace the new Mirror Trim pieces in place around the mirror/camera

You should at this point have all of the physical parts for this retrofit installed. Next up: Coding!

Vehicle Coding:
- Reconnect the Negative Battery Terminal to restore power to the car
- Connect to the car via E-Sys. After connecting, the first step will be to add Option 5AC to your FA(NOTE: If you are not replacing the headlight housings, you will also need to add Option 5AP). Follow the steps in the E-Sys learning guides if you are unfamiliar with how to complete this step
- Once you have updated your FA with the new option code, you will need to create a Cafd file for your new FLA Module. However, you will need to know your car’s current I-Step Level first
- To find this, go to the Expert Mode-VCM Screen. Under I-Steps, click Read. Your current I-Step level will then be displayed, as shown below. Take down this information, and save for future reference if needed.

SHOWN FOR ILLUSTRATIVE PURPOSES ONLY:

- Now, you can create the Cafd file. On the Expert Mode-Coding screen, if you click Read (ECU), you should now see the FLA listed as one of the modules on your car. However, it will most likely be missing the Cafd file. Highlight the FLA, then click Detect CAF for SWE. When the window shown below comes up, you may have several options available:

SHOWN FOR ILLUSTRATIVE PURPOSES ONLY - NOT ACTUAL FLA MODULE CODING:

- You will need to select the option that matches your car’s current I-Step Level. Select the correct option and hit Ok. This should create the Cafd file for the FLA.
- Now all that is left is to VO Code the updated FA to the car. Activate the FA. At a minimum, you will need to code the KOMBI, FLA, HU_CIC/NBT, and FEM modules. Personally, whenever I complete a retrofit, I recode all modules in the car in the event that there is something related to the new retrofit in that module that may have been missed. How you code is up to you, but by coding them all, it avoids the risk of missing something.

-OPTIONAL- Some people, myself included, have changed the activation speed of the High Beam Assistant system so that it comes on at a lower speed than originally programmed from the factory. To do this, you can find instructions in the F30 Coding Cheat Sheet, located here

Testing the system: In order to test the system, you will need to spend some time driving around in dimly-lit, preferably low traffic areas where you can maintain a speed above what you set as the activation speed for the High Beam Assist(Default is approx. 37-43 mph). If you have replaced the headlight housings, you will be able to see the high beams switch on and off independent of each other, as well as move the light beam around to avoid other vehicles. If you did not, then the proper function is that when the camera detects another vehicle, the high beams will shut off, and will turn back on when the vehicle is not in view of the camera.
Appreciate 6
Gabreigns493.50
obert1781.00
Ennoch2257.00
      04-21-2016, 11:22 PM   #2
Tim@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
Thanks! Just what I'm looking for!

Though it's been a pain trying to find a FLA mirror with Homelink on eBay...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 04:34 PM   #3
jalami
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

Hi
adaptive lights xenon necessary???
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 06:53 PM   #4
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i xdrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalami View Post
Hi
And related to this question, I currently have the 522 Xenon Light option, will doing this upgrade (including the FLA camera and European headlight housing swap) turn my non-adaptive lights into adaptive ones?
      04-26-2016, 04:17 AM   #5
TePee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F34 LCI MY2019

Thanks for your great infos!

At my F34 equipped with only normal xenon (522) I'm planning this retrofit too.

I've already bought the adaptive headlights and the mirror with FLA-camera. Still need the modules/brains for the headlights and the steering column with FLA knob.

By the way, did someone found out an easier activation method for FLA by coding instead of changing the steering column!? So far I couldn't find coding for an automatic activation option as possible at F10 or formerly at E90 cars...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 06:12 AM   #6
ontheway
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 MSport 328i

great post. I already have the KAFAS2 camera - so in theory I would not need the FLA retrofit, just the switch assembly and coding?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 09:34 AM   #7
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalami View Post
Hi
Yes, in order to have the lights move around other vehicles, you would need the adaptive versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurrs View Post
And related to this question, I currently have the 522 Xenon Light option, will doing this upgrade (including the FLA camera and European headlight housing swap) turn my non-adaptive lights into adaptive ones?
Yes, the parts would be the same, however you would also need to replace the Driver Control Modules in the headlights for the adaptive versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TePee View Post
By the way, did someone found out an easier activation method for FLA by coding instead of changing the steering column!? So far I couldn't find coding for an automatic activation option as possible at F10 or formerly at E90 cars...
As far as I know, others have tried, but not been successful in coding an "Always On" option for the High Beam Assist on the F30. For some reason it was doable on the F10, but no one has been able to reproduce this on the F30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
great post. I already have the KAFAS2 camera - so in theory I would not need the FLA retrofit, just the switch assembly and coding?
I believe that would be correct, since you already have the camera, you would just need the switch cluster and it should be able to use the existing camera data.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 06:37 AM   #8
10-nf-111
Registered
Rep
Drives: F01

Perfec DIY/ i would like to do the same on my F01 non face lifted. i already have 552 led adaptive headlights retrofired been bought from US will i have problems with missing shutters or that is just a problem for xenon headlights. SZL includes high beam buttin i already changed as i steel trying to make my paddle shift working, the only i need to know will i have anti dazzle futures "tunnel light" if i install FLA Mirror before 2012 July/ because if that does not support tunnel lights. i will have problems to fit new version of FLA mirror to my pre face lifted windshield.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 07:12 AM   #9
10-nf-111
Registered
Rep
Drives: F01

no housing will need as for 552 no shutters as i understand only options S8S4A and S5APA i do not have both in my FA. would like to know which fla mirror should i get
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 07:22 PM   #10
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

Thanks for the DIY! I'm in the middle of part collecting for the adaptive xenon headlight retrofit.
Will the adaptive high beam feature work if I use a USDM drivers control module with the EDM Adaptive headlights along with the rest of this retrofit?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 02:13 AM   #11
TePee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F34 LCI MY2019

I have an 2013 F20 FLA mirror which I retrofitted in my F34. After coding it shows up as "FLA3" ECU. Just to make sure: Did your FLA show up with the same name?

By the way, inspired by the light switch modification thread here I have tried to modify my current switch cluster. I have just added the FLA knob as the indicator level inside has the same cable and contacts with and without FLA. But finally the FEM Body ECU didn't accept it and showed "wrong version" for the switch cluster So I will have to swap the complete switch cluster.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 02:35 PM   #12
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Just finished doing this retro and thank you for all those contributed!

I'm having an error "adaptive headlight malfunction". Could this be from a faulty drivers control module? Or could it be from something else?

Everything works on the headlights (angel eyes, signal, highbeam, etc).
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 12:27 PM   #13
Mike_Aviator
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d GT F34

Hi roxxor! I have 320d F30 from 02/2012, my car has a light/rain sensor, but when I opened the roof module I discowered, that I don't have K-CAN2 wires in the Black 16-Pin connector from FZD module. Does that mean, that I need to route wries from FEM module? Do you have any idea where I can also find K-CAN2 around roof area to connect to?

Thanks!

Last edited by Mike_Aviator; 02-07-2017 at 03:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 07:45 AM   #14
roxxor
Major
Rep

Hello,

You are correct. If there are no K-Can2 lines at the roof module, you would need to run the 2 wires to the FEM to connect them.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2017, 04:07 PM   #15
jalami
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

Hi roxxor
Electric scheme??

I have rain sensor and light whit speed limit info.
I need to pass those 2 lines??
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 04:27 AM   #16
Atomykatt
Registered
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i Saphire Black

Hi roxxor,

I would like to undergo this retrofit, even if some photos aren't loading on my end, and have a few questions:

I have an Euro spec 2012 328i, with collision detection and road sign recognition, so it has a camera, thus I only need the steering column switch cluster. Is that correct?

The headlights are xenon with auto levelling, but don't match your part no. codes, which I can't find on realoem.com. Mine end in 5 and 6 instead of 7 and 8. Based upon your knowledge, will it do the tunnelling thing?

Also, is the steering wheel heating dependant on the cluster?

Thanks,
A.

Last edited by Atomykatt; 07-23-2017 at 05:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 03:28 PM   #17
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Hey Roxxor,
Thanks for your DIY! I just received the last piece I needed to complete this retrofit.

Your instruction says to add "5AP" if I'm not changing the headlights. Did you mean to remove the 5AP since that code is to DISABLE the no-dazzle high beam assistance feature?

Thanks!

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 02:36 AM   #18
Dougal568
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30

Thanks for the guide, I have hooked everything up but seem to be having a problem with a part I am sure should be simple.

I cannot get the wires inserted into the plug for pins 4 and 5 properly, they are stopping halfway in like they are blocked am I doing something utterly stupid?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #19
Daggers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '17 F82 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomykatt View Post

The headlights are xenon with auto levelling, but don't match your part no. codes, which I can't find on realoem.com. Mine end in 5 and 6 instead of 7 and 8. Based upon your knowledge, will it do the tunnelling thing?
Sorry for epic bump but this unanswered question is exactly what I’d like to know.

Anyone help?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #20
gpdrama
Enlisted Member
Greece
Rep
Drives: F30 316i

And also, on european cars with xenon lights (NOT ADAPTIVE) should I add 5AC or 5AP option?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #21
Daggers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '17 F82 M4 Competition

Have now completed this (without adaptive light housings so just dipped/main beam for now).
Excellent guide - this was my first time ever using esys so cafd etc was a challenge but helped by your write up.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #22
SpilltheBimms
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31

Hi everyone.

I bought a steering wheel with cruise control, and by chance, it also has the equipment for the steering wheel heater. So, I bought the switch and the plastic cover, and coded everything (I hope) in.
Only when I tried to activate the heater, I realised that I needed a new Steering Column Switch Cluster. So, and because I have factory bixenon and camera (KAFAS2 IIRC) I took the chance to order one with the button for the HBA. For me it will be part number 61 31 9 351 154.

Because I only took the airbag off once, I know that it can be a real pain for someone like me, with no experience, to do it again. Since the car is up for an oil change very soon, I asked my usual mechanic ("BMW expert" - 10 people shop that only works with BMW's kind of business) how much would it cost me for him to install it.
He quoted me 583.49 Euros for the part and 45 Euros for a software update.

My question is this:
I said to him that the coding is of no problem and I can do it myself. However, he said that the software update is not the "coding part", and it needs to be done everytime you change a part like that one.
Is that true? Or will I be ok by, at worst case scenario, just buying the part, installing it myself, and coding it in?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0