F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Changing from Runflats to non-flats is a better change than the ACS springs...
Extreme Powerhouse

01-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #67
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Driven to the tyre store and paid over 200 for a new tyre!!

Or have on a non rft, stop and put some slime in your tyre which takes 20 mins max, then get the tyre repaired for just 15!

Your right it is a no brainer, to get non rft's though!
We get a slightly different view if we move away from an enthusiasts forum. Many folk don't mess with wheels and tyres, (BMW or any other marque), so RFTs make so much sense.

Yes they are flawed for the enthusiast driver, and if we see the extra costs isolated from the safety aspects, women drivers getting to safe places, etc., etc., we may view them as an expensive waste of time. They are simply like extra insurance, 'peace of mind' to many users.

HighlandPete
I agree Pete. One of the reasons for me and the wife moving to his and hers cars is so that she has runflats on her daily driver, and so I could take them off this car. For all the reasons you mention.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #68
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
It still does, yes.

Changing the fronts hasn't been quite as dramatic a change as the rears (must be the wheelspin reduction), but there is definitely less rumble through the steering wheel. Tyre grip is very good though, as is front wheel tracking and feedback when cornering. Nice improvement.

I drove Ade_7's F31 330d with ACS springs......big improvement over standard BMW MS version. I would say the spring rate is similar to my Bilsteins, but the Bilstein dampers are also a little firmer (setting 3 out of 10). Well worth doing on ALL types of F3x cars I'd say. You could also upgrade to Bilstein shocks to improve things further.
Ooh this is interesting!

The only thing holding me back from the PSS is that i'd need to buy 4 new tyres instead of just the rears if i get f1 assy 2's, as my fronts still have 6mm left!

But if the fronts don't make much difference even to someone as much of a driving enthusiast as yourself, then maybe i'll just change the rears for now! Did you have S001's?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 10:58 AM   #69
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Gordon, are you now on MPSS all round now? If so, how is it? Tram lining still?
It still does, yes.

Changing the fronts hasn't been quite as dramatic a change as the rears (must be the wheelspin reduction), but there is definitely less rumble through the steering wheel. Tyre grip is very good though, as is front wheel tracking and feedback when cornering. Nice improvement.

I drove Ade_7's F31 330d with ACS springs......big improvement over standard BMW MS version. I would say the spring rate is similar to my Bilsteins, but the Bilstein dampers are also a little firmer (setting 3 out of 10). Well worth doing on ALL types of F3x cars I'd say. You could also upgrade to Bilstein shocks to improve things further.
I'm keeping an eye on suspension options for this car. Less options than for yours. Was thinking the bilstein damptronic dampers which can retain the adaptive option would be good. If they bother to develop it for BMWs
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 10:58 AM   #70
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN
Quote:
But aren't run flats safer if you do suffer a blow out, i.e. They don't lose as much control?
The post earlier no doubt relates to an older car with high aspect ratio tyres.

Modern cars with low profile tyres and anti roll bars are much more controllable than they were. I had a rapid deflation on the motorway in my Merc, other than the sound and vibration, I wouldn't have known.

And it's not just me....I see many motorists on the side of the motorway with completely shredded tyres. This is from driving on a completely flat tyre, no rolls, spins or even skid marks. Not saying that a blow out whilst cornering hard wouldn't be fun, but it is about risk level.

For me the difference in risk is not actually the reduction of car control after a puncture, but the risk of being run over on the hard shoulder trying to change or fix a non RF. I am quite prepared to ruin an alloy driving it flat to a safe stopping point.

If there is one risk you want to avoid with tyres......change them before the tread gets below 3mm. That in my view (and from accident statistics) would have a far bigger safety impact than whether you have run flats or not.

With that in mind, you could argue that non run flats are safer, as financially there is less pressure on individuals to use up as much tyre as possible. Run flats are typically 10% more expensive than their NRF counterparts, and even more so when you compare other brands that don't make RFT (Vredestein, Yokohama, Hankook, Toyo, etc). So for a given cost of tyre per mile, you can afford to change the NRFT more frequently, roughly 0.8mm more average tread depth if you want to look at it mathematically.
All of this - exactly.

I once had a complete deflation - not a complete blow out - in my Volvo 850 and the first I was aware was when another driver flagged me down!!

I was a stupid youngster but didn't suffer any bad handling.

My company actually prohibit us from chasing out our own wheels in the event of a puncture, company car or opt out driver, we have to sign the policy to agree to it. Sensible really.
      01-15-2015, 11:19 AM   #71
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Good point, don't know if it can be used with TPMS. But then if we didn't have RFT's we wouldn't need TPMS!
Had to use gunk on sons ford fiesta after a hole in tyre. Didn't reoair it as too big a hole but didn't affect the TPMS. Kwik fit changed old TPMS tones tyre and worked ok

Gunk didn't btw ended up buying spare tyre kit off eBay.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 05:03 PM   #72
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
It still does, yes.

Quote:
Ooh this is interesting!

The only thing holding me back from the PSS is that i'd need to buy 4 new tyres instead of just the rears if i get f1 assy 2's, as my fronts still have 6mm left!

But if the fronts don't make much difference even to someone as much of a driving enthusiast as yourself, then maybe i'll just change the rears for now! Did you have S001's?
NISFAN ?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 05:49 PM   #73
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
NISFAN ?
I'm sure from memory NISFAN had S001's on his first F30 and Pirelli's on his current F30. Said the Pirelli's were a lot better.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 05:52 PM   #74
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8