F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Anyone moved from iPhone to Galaxy S8?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-03-2017, 04:05 AM   #1
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Yes

Anyone moved from iPhone to Galaxy S8?

My daughter has just cracked the screen on her 5C so we will need to buy a new mobile. I've been considering moving away from iPhone for a while as I've had one for over 9 years now and fancy a change as there seems little difference in the latest iPhone models. The Samsung's appear to have a lovely screen a larger battery and are a fair bit cheaper. Anyone made the move recently, and if so do you love it or regret it?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 04:37 AM   #2
ciscopete822
Major
Rep
Drives: RS6 , 840i and others :P

My girlfriend made a move from I7 to S8. First few weeks has been a pain but now she loves it! None of the Android handset can match Iphone is terms of user interface and fluidity but features and value for money its a different story. You have same apps , better camera , much better screen , better battery. Yes, system seems laggy compares to iOS but quick charging and some other features are making up for it. On top of that you have expendable storage so you can go for base model and just stick in 64 GB card for 40 quid.

Additionally , phone is IP68 cert which means I dont have to use GoPro anymore when recording or taking pics in water (or under). Screen is just gorgeous with almost 1000 nits in maximum brightness and really usable in direct sunlight.You still have good , old 3.5 mm jack so you can use any headphones without any stupid adapters. Phone can be used as external storage when connected to any PC (Mac or Windows) so you can load it with movies and sh1t (no need to sync with iTunes!!!!)

Drawbacks.... you dont get CLOUD sync with Android where all pics / docs are being distributed between all devices seamlessly. You need 3rd party app for that.

Last edited by ciscopete822; 10-03-2017 at 04:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2017, 04:39 AM   #3
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscopete822 View Post
Drawbacks.... you dont get CLOUD sync with Android where all pics / docs are being distributed between all devices seamlessly. You need 3rd party app for that.
I think Google Photos should be able to do this?
Coding. LED Front Fogs. DIY Driver Glovebox. KW Street Comfort. 15mm Rear ARB. Tarox SS Brake Lines. Motorwerks Remap. DIY Rear 12v Socket. M Performance Discs. Tarox Strada Pads. Spacers (10mm & 12mm). Head Unit USB Cable. Rear Diffuser. Rear Light Tints. Non RFTs.
Appreciate 2
      10-03-2017, 04:47 AM   #4
ciscopete822
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Forinor View Post
I think Google Photos should be able to do this?
I didn't even know - thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 05:10 AM   #5
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Google Photos allows unlimited storage (which I think iOS CLOUD doesn't do) of all of your photos and videos, and as long as you log in with the same email address, you should have access.
Coding. LED Front Fogs. DIY Driver Glovebox. KW Street Comfort. 15mm Rear ARB. Tarox SS Brake Lines. Motorwerks Remap. DIY Rear 12v Socket. M Performance Discs. Tarox Strada Pads. Spacers (10mm & 12mm). Head Unit USB Cable. Rear Diffuser. Rear Light Tints. Non RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 05:35 AM   #6
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:

Additionally , phone is IP68 cert which means I dont have to use GoPro anymore when recording or taking pics in water (or under).

I wouldn't test that. I think you'll find it's only IP67...(max 1m for 30 mins)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 05:45 AM   #7
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
iPhone 8 is IP67, Galaxy S8 is IP68 rated according to the specs.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 05:55 AM   #8
ciscopete822
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
Negative sir - Samsung for past 2 or 3 years are fully IP 68 cert. Apple is still IP67
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 06:09 AM   #9
WTruter
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 340i W/MPPSK

Cant say for the new models, but I upgraded to the Samsung S6 Edge when it came out, moving away from iPhone. Had the phone for 3 months and then sold it and bought an iPhone 6S.

Yes on paper the Samsungs (And many android) phones are far superior to iPhones, but I found under general usage, iphones just know how to do it.
If you look at chip benchmarks, the iphones (less powerful on paper) chips out perform the androids.

Yes the samsung has bigger battery, but due to the much higher resolution screen, it uses that power a lot quicker. Also, dont think i've ever looked at my iphone screen and thought "Wish I had a higher pixel density" or "Resolution is not that great".

Almost the exact same thing happened to a mate who went from iphone to sony. regretted the decision and was soon back on iphone.

Guess it is all down to personal preference. I equally know many people who are more than happy with their Samsungs.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2017, 06:42 AM   #10
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTruter View Post
Guess it is all down to personal preference.
This is exactly it.

I can't stand iOS, or the ecosystem Apple creates around their products. I'd rather have any other phone than an iPhone, but that's my personal preference. When people ask me for which phone to recommend to them, I tailor the advice to their needs. I know some people won't get on with iOS so Android it is but equally I know certain people will just cope much better with iOS.

There is no "this is better than that", it's "this is better for YOU, than that".

It might be a good idea trying one out for a couple of days, if you can borrow from family/friends.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2017, 06:49 AM   #11
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyamigo View Post
iPhone 8 is IP67, Galaxy S8 is IP68 rated according to the specs.
Quote:
Negative sir - Samsung for past 2 or 3 years are fully IP 68 cert. Apple is still IP67
feck. You're both right. Read the OP as "iphone" not "phone."
Appreciate 2
      10-03-2017, 06:52 AM   #12
ciscopete822
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTruter View Post

Yes the samsung has bigger battery, but due to the much higher resolution screen, it uses that power a lot quicker. Also, dont think i've ever looked at my iphone screen and thought "Wish I had a higher pixel density" or "Resolution is not that great".
!
Thats not entirely true sir - watch any YouTube videos comparing S8 and i7/8 and check for yourself that S8/S8 Plus is actually better in battery department , both ways , charging and discharging.

Put your phone next to S8 and then tell me that you dont care about higher res or color density.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2017, 08:05 AM   #13
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

I went i6 to s8 and it's a far superior phone in every regards. Screen in particular is stunning.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2017, 08:44 AM   #14
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Forinor View Post
This is exactly it.

I can't stand iOS, or the ecosystem Apple creates around their products. I'd rather have any other phone than an iPhone, but that's my personal preference. When people ask me for which phone to recommend to them, I tailor the advice to their needs. I know some people won't get on with iOS so Android it is but equally I know certain people will just cope much better with iOS.

There is no "this is better than that", it's "this is better for YOU, than that".

It might be a good idea trying one out for a couple of days, if you can borrow from family/friends.
All my family use iPhones, I don't think I know anyone with an Android well enough to get to use it for any length of time. I wont miss the Apple hardware but I'm very used to using iOS and I like that it get updated regularly and you get a few years with the latest OS before updates stop. One thing that put me off Android was that hardly any phones run "pure" Android and different manufacturers have different skins and take different lengths of time to make updates available. I haven't used Android for a few years, is it still like this or have things moved on?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 08:59 AM   #15
ciscopete822
Major
Rep

Quote:
All my family use iPhones, I don't think I know anyone with an Android well enough to get to use it for any length of time. I wont miss the Apple hardware but I'm very used to using iOS and I like that it get updated regularly and you get a few years with the latest OS before updates stop. One thing that put me off Android was that hardly any phones run "pure" Android and different manufacturers have different skins and take different lengths of time to make updates available. I haven't used Android for a few years, is it still like this or have things moved on?
they have moved on. Android -native phones like Google Pixel , Nexus family etc are getting updates the moment the new OS is out (or updated). Likes of Samsung or LG (big brands) are couple of months behind. Incremental updates to system are available much quicker. You can always root your phone for stock clean experience. Now that we have this out of the way

YOU HAVE 1000s of Launchers / Apps that allow customization!!! As you have an Apple product you have never seen anything like this before. It works like magic
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #16
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

saltyamigo Pretty much what ciscopete822 said. There are more brands now that try and stick closer to the stock android experience.

Moto phones are pretty much only Android, Sony are closer to Android than most, LG now have a simple skin as opposed to something crazy like what Samsung have. Currently Samsung are probably the only ones who have a heavy skin on Android to try and make the phone their own.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2017, 12:42 PM   #17
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

The new Google Pixel phones are being announced tomorrow, might be worth tuning in to that to see what they offer. I am intrigued with the new Pixel 2 XL.
      10-04-2017, 10:28 AM   #18
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430 F1

Quote:
My daughter has just cracked the screen on her 5C so we will need to buy a new mobile. I've been considering moving away from iPhone for a while as I've had one for over 9 years now and fancy a change as there seems little difference in the latest iPhone models. The Samsung's appear to have a lovely screen a larger battery and are a fair bit cheaper. Anyone made the move recently, and if so do you love it or regret it?
Can't you just get the screen replaced, cheaper surely?
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #19
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Can't you just get the screen replaced, cheaper surely?
Yes could do, but it's hardly worth it for a 5C due to the age of the phone and the battery is still original and doesn't hold its charge that great.
Appreciate 1
Drek578.50
      10-04-2017, 12:55 PM   #20
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

We did for work this week. My personal phone is an iPhone 7. Holding out for the X. My work phone is an S8 switched over from an iPhone 6. Love the S8. Actually made me think about giving up on Apple but I get the best of both worlds so it is good for me. The S8 screen is crystal clear. Battery life is better than the iPhone. Quite a fast phone too.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2017, 08:28 AM   #21
ukblade
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435d xdrive

Changed over when the S6+ came out, now on S8+ and certainly don't miss IOS at all, especially iTunes.
The only thing that bugs me is that when restoring from a factory reset or to a new phone on Android is that you do not get the phone fully restored to how it was, like you do with iphones.
You still have to reset all the apps with paswords etc.
PITA
That's it though, everything else spot on, come on over to the dark side!
      10-07-2017, 01:54 AM   #22
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for the replies, pretty much as I was expecting there's no right answer just what suits the individual. Well I took the plunge and ordered an S8, was considering the S8+ but I think the size of the normal one will be plenty big enough for me. Traded in an old iPhone so got it for £533 and you can claim a free VR headset with controller (which will likely never be used but I can sell it on the bay to offset the cost a bit). Going to order a Samsung alcantara case which should look good and give the phone a decent grip. Will keep hold of my iPhone 6S for a few weeks and decide which one to keep.
Appreciate 0