F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New to forum and loving my most recent BMW purchase
Studio RSR

08-15-2013, 03:04 AM   #23
scoobeesnac
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 328i MY2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinio
I don't have enhanced BT but the pro nav just reads my ipod classic art work via the y cable. Typically I only use the classic ipod but I recently got the iphone 5 so instead of getting a new cable I just brought an adapter off ebay for 2.49 and it works fine. see photos off setup.
Can you not just use your lightning cable direct to USB? Would expect the quality to be better.
ACS Springs & M Sport+ Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack : Black Dakota leather, Brushed aluminium/gloss black bar, Heated Seats, Sun Protection Glass, Sun band, Electric side mirrors, Adaptive Suspension, Variable Sports Steering, Black Panel display, Enhanced Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #24
oli_100785
Rep
Drives: F30 320d M Sport Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
They do part number 84.21-2 338 568-01
Shocking price for the cradle though - would never pay that much but thanks for letting me know anyway

I just want the Y cable really at like 10% of the price! Actually I already have it for the iPhone 4 from my current E90 330d saloon so may just get an add on adapater for the end of that from eBay as Malinio has done. In fact have no idea what advantage a snap in adapter even gives other than securing it (which is never a problem anyway) and charging it slightly faster?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 06:32 AM   #25
oli_100785
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobeesnac View Post
Can you not just use your lightning cable direct to USB? Would expect the quality to be better.
What is the difference between a lightning cable and Y cable?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #26
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli_100785 View Post
Shocking price for the cradle though - would never pay that much but thanks for letting me know anyway

I just want the Y cable really at like 10% of the price! Actually I already have it for the iPhone 4 from my current E90 330d saloon so may just get an add on adapater for the end of that from eBay as Malinio has done. In fact have no idea what advantage a snap in adapter even gives other than securing it (which is never a problem anyway) and charging it slightly faster?
Connects to car aerial as well, which boosts mobile signal, and reduces 'emissions' in the car, if you buy into the frying your DNA theory.

Oh, and also gives iphone out, which gives a new screen configured in the apple style.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #27
oli_100785
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinio View Post
I don't have enhanced BT but the pro nav just reads my ipod classic art work via the y cable. Typically I only use the classic ipod but I recently got the iphone 5 so instead of getting a new cable I just brought an adapter off ebay for £2.49 and it works fine. see photos off setup.
Really useful pics thanks - will probly end up just doing the same. Any idea if the Y cable from the E90 330d saloon will work in the new F30 too to save me rebuying a new version? Ideally they would just do a Y cable for the iPhone 5.... especially considering it has been out like a year or so.

The funniest thing is I don't even have the iPhone 5 but planning to buy it as my 4 is out of contract a while ago and both the top button and home screen button are broken so need a replacement soon. Was hoping Apple would release a new one soon rather than order just before a refresh / new model is released but then it will be even longer until BMW make a connector cable for that one :P
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #28
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What is the difference between a lightning cable and Y cable?
Lightning digital, Y cable analogue ????
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #29
oli_100785
Rep

Quote:
Lightning digital, Y cable analogue ????
How much is a lightning cable? Any ideas where I can get one from?

Also sorry I didn't understand your previous response about the 'iPhone out' thing that comes with the Cradle? A new screen on the Sat Nav / Media unit itself?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #30
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
How much is a lightning cable? Any ideas where I can get one from?

Also sorry I didn't understand your previous response about the 'iPhone out' thing that comes with the Cradle? A new screen on the Sat Nav / Media unit itself?
Lightning cable is what Apple call the new iPhone 5 cable (just the standard cable that comes with an iP5). Beware there are copies that don't have full functionality, so best stick with a genuine Apple cable.

Sorry the term is 'iPod out' not iPhone. But see #55 on this thread about the Apple graphics that are available if you have a cradle.

Apple screen on ProNav
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #31
oli_100785
Rep

Quote:
Lightning cable is what Apple call the new iPhone 5 cable (just the standard cable that comes with an iP5). Beware there are copies that don't have full functionality, so best stick with a genuine Apple cable.

Sorry the term is 'iPod out' not iPhone. But see #55 on this thread about the Apple graphics that are available if you have a cradle.

Apple screen on ProNav
Thanks buddy much appreciated! Agreed the full functionality is what is required just seems 350ish for the snap in dock is excessive as I actually don't like the idea of it snapping in anyway (and I have a cover for it that I got from Le Mans this year so won't even fit according to someone else on the forums who tried).

FYI - I called Ash in relation to the Elms Bedford M Performance kit offer and mentioned your name but my local dealer would match their parts prices and I know one of the services guys there so they will do labour for me at a great discount.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #32
Malinio
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport

With My previous BMW's the apple cables never displayed the information correctly so haven't even tried the iphone 5 with the standard apple cable - but I'll give it a go when I get a chance, cheers nisfan.

oli_100785 - My old Y cable I used in the E93's didn't work with this new pro nav but I think it all depends on what version on Nav you are on with your e93. Mine was a 2008 version so I think is was one of the 1st idrive options which only had the 1 menu button next to it (no shortcut keys to nav, phone, radio, media etc).

Thanks again for all the comments, to say I'm in love is an understatement. Thought I would miss the convertible but so far so good!! The only thing I do miss is the sound of the 6 cylinder petrol but there's always a compromise to be had :-).
      08-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #33
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks buddy much appreciated! Agreed the full functionality is what is required just seems 350ish for the snap in dock is excessive as I actually don't like the idea of it snapping in anyway (and I have a cover for it that I got from Le Mans this year so won't even fit according to someone else on the forums who tried).

FYI - I called Ash in relation to the Elms Bedford M Performance kit offer and mentioned your name but my local dealer would match their parts prices and I know one of the services guys there so they will do labour for me at a great discount.
Result on the M P kit Personally I would fit it myself, how hard is pulling the backing off double sided tape?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #34
oli_100785
Rep

Quote:
Result on the M P kit Personally I would fit it myself, how hard is pulling the backing off double sided tape?
Yeh I just have to do everything through a dealership because of the leasing company - so it is on record. Besides I'm useless with cars anyway besides driving them
Appreciate 0