F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F30 335d xDrive M Sport - Delivered & Reviewed
ARMA SPEED

08-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #23
SGLL66
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cayenne GTS, 911 GTS & M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishumes View Post
is the spoiler just matt black as well? ive seen them in carbon fibre as well (to match the mirrors). debating this at them moment.
Left it all unpainted as does not really stand out with mineral grey.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #24
SGLL66
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD1 View Post

Performance kit and wheels look great too, I'm still debating the front splitter and side skirt sticker graphic, but its all orderd so just need to see closer to the time. I see that yours is all unpainted... Do you mind saying how much you paint for fitting? My dealer is suggesting an approved body shop to do the work, but I'd like some benchmark before I speak to them.

Good luck with it!
Don't know exact price as I had it on business lease. But they did fit it at the dealer. I didn't have the graphics on the side skirts as thought it looked at bit boy racerish!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #25
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Thank you so much for all this information SGLL66... I await further reviews in due course
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #26
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Great write up and most importantly, the pictures have settled my concerns about the ride height so thanks so much for taking the time to post this.

The car looks awesome and it sounds like a very effective weapon....to be considered fast vs. a 330d and mentioned in the same breath as the M5 means it must be outrageous. Sounds like the new M3 will have its work cut out for pure grunt against this. Very much looking forward to experiencing ours in a few weeks
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 01:37 AM   #27
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Great write up and most importantly, the pictures have settled my concerns about the ride height so thanks so much for taking the time to post this.

The car looks awesome and it sounds like a very effective weapon....to be considered fast vs. a 330d and mentioned in the same breath as the M5 means it must be outrageous. Sounds like the new M3 will have its work cut out for pure grunt against this. Very much looking forward to experiencing ours in a few weeks
Aren't the m cars more about driving than pure speed and grunt? Ie s drive with that kind of power...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 02:36 AM   #28
SGLL66
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
Aren't the m cars more about driving than pure speed and grunt? Ie s drive with that kind of power...
I'd say that you can drive any car well on challenging roads. M cars have superior speed and handling to deal with the extra power, but on a twisty A road theres nothing better than changing down and accelerating down short straights. Even a 335d could keep up with or even give an M car a run for its money. Granted in a straight line the M would leave you standing (in the dry) but its not always about that. The 335d with the torque it has is a formidable car by any stretch of the imagination.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 04:19 AM   #29
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

With the low down power and torque and a swift 0 to 60 time a a 335d will be a great all uses car

Just misses out on nice noises, pity they don't fit the exhaust actuator like Audi have done on the bi turbo engines.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #30
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGLL66 View Post
I'd say that you can drive any car well on challenging roads. M cars have superior speed and handling to deal with the extra power, but on a twisty A road theres nothing better than changing down and accelerating down short straights. Even a 335d could keep up with or even give an M car a run for its money. Granted in a straight line the M would leave you standing (in the dry) but its not always about that. The 335d with the torque it has is a formidable car by any stretch of the imagination.
Don't agree with this on an F30.......the suspension is shocking. It is the first production car of mine that suffered from 'jacking' (adaptive suspension in Sport mode) ..........absolutely appalling. And with passive M Sport suspension hits the bump stops very very often......again, absolutely appalling. BMW, are you listening?

Fact is much lesser cars could give a 335d a run on those tight bumpy A roads.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #31
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31 MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Don't agree with this on an F30.......the suspension is shocking. It is the first production car of mine that suffered from 'jacking' (adaptive suspension in Sport mode) ..........absolutely appalling. And with passive M Sport suspension hits the bump stops very very often......again, absolutely appalling. BMW, are you listening?

Fact is much lesser cars could give a 335d a run on those tight bumpy A roads.
Wtf is jacking and how would I know if I'm experiencing it?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 07:04 AM   #32
oli_100785
Rep
Drives: F30 320d M Sport Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishumes View Post
is the spoiler just matt black as well? ive seen them in carbon fibre as well (to match the mirrors). debating this at them moment.
Initially I was going to get the carbon fibre wing mirrors and rear spoiler but then I decided that it would be better just to stay with matt black as the front splitter and side sills and matt black so going to go for the matt black spoiler too. I have also decided not to bother with changing the wing mirrors as they have a black underlining anyway which I think looks nice (especially on white).

Also the carbon fibre parts are much more expensive

My concern is what to do with the stock 18" wheels as I can't change the size - leave as stock, paint matt black or paint gloss black.....?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #33
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwrlane View Post
Wtf is jacking and how would I know if I'm experiencing it?

This is when the rebound on the suspension is overly 'stiff', making the rebound recovery rate very slow (soft spring trying to push against a highly viscous damper).
When going over a series of bumps, the rebound movement is so slow that it is unable to 'recover' the ride height for the next bump. The next bump jacks the suspension a little more, and you enter a cycle, which if continues can have the car on the bump stops with no suspension compliance. Each bump 'jacks' the suspension.

And BTW this is unbelievably poor to have this on a road going production car, whoever signed off this suspension should be strung up.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #34
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli_100785 View Post
Initially I was going to get the carbon fibre wing mirrors and rear spoiler but then I decided that it would be better just to stay with matt black as the front splitter and side sills and matt black so going to go for the matt black spoiler too. I have also decided not to bother with changing the wing mirrors as they have a black underlining anyway which I think looks nice (especially on white).

Also the carbon fibre parts are much more expensive

My concern is what to do with the stock 18" wheels as I can't change the size - leave as stock, paint matt black or paint gloss black.....?
Are you sure your lease company won't freak out if you paint the wheels?

Perhaps plasticote is what you need? This can be peeled off apparently.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #35
oli_100785
Rep
Drives: F30 320d M Sport Alpine White

Quote:

Their rule is basically that you can do anything cosmetic as long as it is through an official BMW dealership (ie. I can't get SPG done 3rd party or wheels painted by non-BMW garage) and I either leave it on the car or keep the replacement parts (such as kidney grills etc) and get them changed back to the original state of the vehicle. I will most likely just leave them all on and sell any replacement parts in the meantime (which there will be very little of but still a tiny bit of money back) as I don't want to hold on to the other parts for nearly 4 years and the parts I add probably will have little value at that point.

BMW have said I can do matt black or gloss black - not sure if they offer plasticote though (maybe that is what they call matt black?) but is that as good quality wise? Ie. I don't want it to scratch off and then show the stock silver colour underneath :O
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #36
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31 MPPSK

Quote:

This is when the rebound on the suspension is overly 'stiff', making the rebound recovery rate very slow (soft spring trying to push against a highly viscous damper).
When going over a series of bumps, the rebound movement is so slow that it is unable to 'recover' the ride height for the next bump. The next bump jacks the suspension a little more, and you enter a cycle, which if continues can have the car on the bump stops with no suspension compliance. Each bump 'jacks' the suspension.

And BTW this is unbelievably poor to have this on a road going production car, whoever signed off this suspension should be strung up.
Ok, thanks. I've seen from earlier posts that you're not massively keen on adaptive. Presumably this is something that would be different between adaptive and passive, and I expect something that an adaptive set up would be able to control (ie adapt the stiffness and damping according to what's actually going on). Whether the BMW 3-series take on adaptive suspension actually does this is another matter.

Is the problem with passive suspension simply that you can't set it up for all conceivable road conditions?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #37
Mr.t
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d (coming)

Quote:

Plastidip is what you are trying to describe sir...

Plasticote will not come off easily
      08-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #38
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.t View Post
Plastidip is what you are trying to describe sir...

Plasticote will not come off easily
That's the one, thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #39
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ok, thanks. I've seen from earlier posts that you're not massively keen on adaptive. Presumably this is something that would be different between adaptive and passive, and I expect something that an adaptive set up would be able to control (ie adapt the stiffness and damping according to what's actually going on). Whether the BMW 3-series take on adaptive suspension actually does this is another matter.
No the jacking only occurs on adaptive M Sport (no experience of adaptive on xDrive or non M Sport models), and only when in Sport setting. Please note you do have to drive enthusiastically to experience this, which means 95% never will experience this, or have the balls to drive an over damped car fast on a bumpy road in the first place

Quote:
Is the problem with passive suspension simply that you can't set it up for all conceivable road conditions?
No there has never been a problem with passive, other than the factory tune it to a set 'firmness' and this cannot be changed.

Remember, adaptive damping is a fallacy. There is only one set (a set being compression /rebound) of damping rates that suit a particular car with a given set of springs on it. When you introduce 'adaptive' (= variable) damping you introduce 'compromise'. Now if BMW had set the Sport setting to be exactly in tune with the spring rates, then introduced a wildly 'under damped' setting, you could live with it. Instead they have gone 1 click under damped 1 click over damped in the adaptive, the worst of both cases as neither matches the ideal. Sadly this has been confirmed as a deliberate 'marketing' decision.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #40
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
No the jacking only occurs on adaptive M Sport (no experience of adaptive on xDrive or non M Sport models), and only when in Sport setting. Please note you do have to drive enthusiastically to experience this, which means 95% never will experience this, or have the balls to drive an over damped car fast on a bumpy road in the first place
@NISFAN sounds like you are driving the car beyond the levels it is intended. Remember it is a family/rep mobile saloon car and not an out and out sports car.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #41
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGLL66 View Post
NOT so: I test drove the saloon version today and the suspension is no way going to get you comfortably fast around anything but smooth roads.
Shuddering and becoming unsettled was what I was finding on A/B roads in Norfolk/Cambridge area, very unsettling at speed, but these are not autobahns.

An M5 would eat that car alive on the same roads IMO.

My 330d M Sport is much better but I do not know why that is Anyone?

Ooops, Just read NISFAN's comments.

Last edited by JOHNBMWM5; 08-15-2013 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #42
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
NOT so: I test drove the saloon version today and the suspension is no way going to get you comfortably fast around anything but smooth roads.
Shuddering and becoming unsettled was what I was finding on A/B roads in Norfolk/Cambridge area, very unsettling at speed, but these are not autobahns.

Sorry, are you saying this about an adaptive 335d you drove today?
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #43
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
@NISFAN sounds like you are driving the car beyond the levels it is intended. Remember it is a family/rep mobile saloon car and not an out and out sports car.
You have a point......but then why 313hp and great straight line figures in a car that has the chassis but not the set up to match

The way the f30 is suspended, they should have stopped at 328i

In a bizarre twist, the Germans are going all US on us, and the US is going all German on us, with Cadillac being voted as the better handling car

It has been a while since I drove an e9x M Sport, but am pretty sure it was more capable over rough roads. As an e90 driver what do you think? Have you driven f30 330d's etc?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #44
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post

I've just moved from Norwich to Peterborough recently. Not so familiar with Cambridgeshire roads but knew some good ones around Norfolk. Got any recommendations for a good drive?

To be honest shouldn't the M5 be vastly better at handling at the price it is and the fact its a proper M car? Having never driven an M car I won't know what I'm missing and hopefully the 335d with adaptive will be just fine. I merely want it a bit firmer for the odd sporty moment when it arises but otherwise it'll be on motorways and A roads in comfort so I don't rattle my teeth out on our lovely roads I don't think I'll be bending the laws of physics as I travel like it sounds some of you can do

I'm quite sure xDrive compromises the suspension to a degree but at the same time the car won't be fighting for traction so badly as if it was RWD with no LSD. So it'll make it a faster car for average joes to get around with and have that 4 wheel drive selling point which seems to becoming more important in the UK after a couple of bad winters. It certainly helped me sell the car to my wife with the 4 wheel drive tick box

P.S. My 330d is an SE model with standard suspension so I'm used to lots of body roll around corners. There's no way the 335d isn't going to be better than that with adaptive in my mind. However its given me a very comfortable drive over some of the UK's worst roads and was about as far as my budget would go at the time. Especially as I'd gone looking for a 320d initially
Appreciate 0