F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B48 reliability and efficiency
GetBMWParts

09-26-2023, 06:14 AM   #67
Craig380
Rep
Drives: 225xe, 420i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smartepants View Post
The B48 engine in my 2017 320i GT (F34) has been rock solid until this weekend when the coolant vent line blew the cylinder head connector off. The plastic connector inside the hose degraded and snapped off venting coolant all over the road. I replaced the line myself (BMW UK refused to honor the BMW North America recall).
Yes, my son's 2018 420i blew its coolant vent line a few months back at around 45,000 miles, luckily when he was only a few miles from home and he had the good sense to limp it gently.

Despite me showing BMW UK the BMW NA recall notice, they insisted that 'different regions have different recalls' and that 'components used on US cars differ from UK cars.'

I told them (politely) that they were chatting utter sh*t and that the part number on the failed vent line from my son's car was the same as the part number in the BMW NA recall notice.

But the upshot was my lad needed his car back on the road quickly, and in order to get any contribution from BMW UK we'd have to get a dealer to inspect it (for a £90 inspection fee, of course) and then report to BMW UK, etc etc, which would have taken weeks.

BMW UK are well aware that there's a global problem with the vent lines, but as they seem to fail mostly outside of warranty they're just about able to get away with not doing a recall and blanking most owners.
Appreciate 2