F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > NEW RELEASE: DINANTRONICS Sport (N20/N26)
GetBMWParts

07-08-2016, 11:45 AM   #1
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

NEW RELEASE: DINANTRONICS Sport (N20/N26)

Name:  DPT_Sport_banner.jpg
Views: 12626
Size:  275.1 KB
Name:  DPT_Sport_pics.jpg
Views: 12157
Size:  246.5 KB

DINANTRONICS Sport For the BMW 'F' Series N20/N26 Engines

Part Number: D440-0010
Applications: 2014-16 F22 228i Coupe, 2015-16 F23 228i Cabrio, 2012-16 F30 328i Sedan, 2014-16 F31 328i Wagon, 2014-16 F34 328i GT, 2014-16 F32 428i Coupe, 2014-16 F33 428i Cabrio, 2015-16 F36 428i GC, 2012-16 F10 528i Sedan, 2012-15 E84 X1 28i SAV, 2013-16 F25 X3 28i SAV, 2015-16 F26 X4 28i SAV, 2012-16 E89 Z4 28i RD
Product Page / Pricing: http://www.dinancars.com/product/d44...ries&mid=1182/
Release Date: Today, July 8th, 2016.

Description: DINANTRONICS Sport is the boost controller for the masses. Its simple design/execution allows for easy installation/removal that can be performed in a blink of an eye and yields results you will be sure to feel, and enjoy, from the get go. Coupled with Bluetooth capabilities right out of the box that allows for user controlled adjustability and a live boost monitor to keep track of the action its a value proposition that is unequaled in the marketplace.

DINANTRONICS Sport plugs into a single sensor which lends itself to a very quick and and discrete installation, or removal, should the need arise. Not only does this connection method offer a simplified install but also effectively utilizes the factory DME, in tandem with itself, in order to re-map boost, fueling, and timing for optimal performance. Once installed DINANTRONICS Sport enjoys connectivity to various smartphone devices courtesy of its built-in Bluetooth Smart system. From the free app one has the freedom to reduce stock boost for valet duties or crank up the boost all the way up to the "race" setting for maximum enjoyment... or anywhere in between. Regardless of what setting is chosen there is a power level for everyone. Also within the app the end user has access to a live boost monitor which streams boost data in real time to the phone very similar in appearance to the sport gauges on the iDrive. Not only will you be able to feel the difference but now you can see it as well!

Perhaps best of all, the unit automatically detects which engine it is installed upon and loads the appropriate mapping. Effectively making a single unit compatible with an extremely wide range of applications making switching to a new vehicle, sharing with another, or selling the unit a breeze.

Benefits of the DINANTRONICS Sport Performance Tuner for BMW N20/26 Engines:
  • Up to +30 HP and +50 lb-ft on some applications (See performance charts below for specific applications)
  • Bluetooth smart (Android Compatible, iOS Coming Soon)
  • Live boost monitor
  • Multiple power settings to choose from (Sport, Sport+, and Race). Units ship pre-set to the Sport + setting.
  • Valet / parental control modes (-3 PSI)
  • Quick, easy, and discrete installation
  • Automatically detects engine type and loads appropriate mapping (if unit is for multiple engine types)
  • Racing Only Product at this time: CARB EO submitted and in progress
  • 14 day satisfaction guarantee
  • 1 year product warranty (does not include consequential damages or labor costs)

For a full breakdown of the various tuning options within the tiered DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner lineup please visit our comparison page, HERE, to understand which step in the 'evolution of power' is right for you.

RACING ONLY: Not legal for sale or use in California. CARB EO submitted and pending.

WARRANTY: DINANTRONICS Sport does not carry the factory matching warranty that Dinan is known for. DINANTRONICS Sport's warranty is a 1 year product only warranty that does not cover consequential damages or labor reimbursement.

DINANTRONICS Sport Performance Tuner for the BMW N20/N26 Engine POWER CHART

Part Number: D440-0010
Retail Price: Consult Website
Install Time: 0.25 hrs
Max Gains (Sport+ Setting): +30 HP / +50 lb-ft TRQ

Name:  N20N26_PowerChart.jpg
Views: 11941
Size:  202.7 KB

Please Note: N55 and B46/48 applications were also released today so please consult the appropriate forum for those details or our website. Many more applications coming in the months ahead ranging across the entire gamut of European car brands (Mercedes, VW/Audi, Porsche, Fiat, Alfa Romeo, etc)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #2
BlueCrabMafia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line

Hmmm.....interesting. Is this for PWG and EWG?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 12:42 PM   #3
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Impressive...a bit skeptical on the baseline HP numbers of 262rwhp/286wtq however on a 228....but the plug/play aspect and being Dinan is pretty cool. I pulled 228/267 in triple digit heat on 91 octane bone stock but -34 and -19 is a big difference. So was this an N20 or an N26?
      07-08-2016, 12:45 PM   #4
CatDaddyJones
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i Coupe Black on Black

Now this looks interesting. How does it compare to BMS stage one? Looks very similar in results and cost???
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #5
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCarNut View Post
Impressive...a bit skeptical on the baseline HP numbers of 262rwhp/286wtq however on a 228....but the plug/play aspect and being Dinan is pretty cool. I pulled 228/267 in triple digit heat on 91 octane bone stock but -34 and -19 is a big difference. So was this an N20 or an N26?
N20 on 93 octane. Also keep in mind all our numbers that you see from Dinan are at the crank and not the wheels.

Last edited by Dinan_Engineering; 07-08-2016 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #6
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddyJones View Post
Now this looks interesting. How does it compare to BMS stage one? Looks very similar in results and cost???
Never done a direct comparison but its similar. The BMS stage 1 hooks up into 2 sensors while this one hooks into 1. We found that we could still get the vast majority of the gains by going to just 1 sensor instead. Its not as refined as our full DINANTRONICS kit but for those simply looking for some cheap extra power it's an option. Our device is also bluetooth capable out of the box and comes with multiple "stages/settings" that you can adjust along with an app version of a digital boost gauge to boot.

Simply put we kept getting requests for a basic, cost effective, no frills version of a tune so this is what was born from those requests. Its a departure from normal Dinan since it will not hold the same warranty but in order to meet the reduced price point its just part of the game.

I should note about the sensor aspect that some of the other brands/engines (like Audi) requires the 2 sensors to make any meaningful power however so those kits as we expand to the other Euro brands will be a 2 sensor device so will be slightly more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
CatDaddyJones
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i Coupe Black on Black

Need a guinea pig for an N26? I am very interested!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #8
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddyJones View Post
Need a guinea pig for an N26? I am very interested!
It works on the N26. Already been tested. The limitation of the N26 is at the top end of the RPM due to its more restrictive CAT's. As you can see from the chart above the gains at the top end are already very minimal so the N26 power loss has very little difference, if any, from the N20 for this particular product.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 02:47 PM   #9
m4rcus
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i: Sport, 6sp manual

Any plans for the 320i?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 02:57 PM   #10
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rcus View Post
Any plans for the 320i?
It will connect and work but we have not had the opportunity to do any testing specifically for the 320i so we don't know what kind of gains you would ultimately get. We are so backlogged in projects right now I don't foresee us specifically getting to it any time soon I am afraid. As I said though it will physically connect and function though so you are more then welcome to give it a shot.

If you want to do some fit checking, which is what it essentially comes down to, I am sure we can offer a discounted unit for the effort.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 03:48 PM   #11
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
N20 on 93 octane. Also keep in mind all our numbers that you see from Dinan are at the crank and not the wheels.
Makes a difference..thank you for the clarification
      07-09-2016, 08:49 AM   #12
Seraphblade@sg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

From the looks of it, it seem to be tapping / hijacking the TMAP or MAP sensor?

So without the other connections, does this run a straight +x PSI across all RPM ranges? Dun think there is any way to obtain RPM values thru these 2 ports.

The way it behaves is almost similar to the JB Stage 1, but that also took 4 connections - boost solenoid, TMAP, MAP and MAF.

Removed: BMS JB4 N20 | ER Downpipe | BMS OCC
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #13
mateusz0147
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 BMW 328I XDRIVE

hmmm so if it is only one sensor does that mean your only lying to the ecu about the boost? and nothing else. and if that is the case is that not very bad for the engine since its not getting the right air fuel mixture? and have you had a chance to check this out on a catless n26? and can this be detected when i take it to a dealership if i unplug it and take it out.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 02:21 PM   #14
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphblade@sg View Post
From the looks of it, it seem to be tapping / hijacking the TMAP or MAP sensor?

So without the other connections, does this run a straight +x PSI across all RPM ranges? Dun think there is any way to obtain RPM values thru these 2 ports.

The way it behaves is almost similar to the JB Stage 1, but that also took 4 connections - boost solenoid, TMAP, MAP and MAF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateusz0147 View Post
hmmm so if it is only one sensor does that mean your only lying to the ecu about the boost? and nothing else. and if that is the case is that not very bad for the engine since its not getting the right air fuel mixture? and have you had a chance to check this out on a catless n26? and can this be detected when i take it to a dealership if i unplug it and take it out.
The installation instructions are right on the product page but the unit connects to the MAP sensor (boost sensor on the intake pipe). Straight boost increase across the rev range. Tis not a very complicated device like its bigger brother. Just a simple boost controller for those that simply want more power. Most other stage 1 tunes connect 2 sensors (MAP and TMAP) but in some applications (like the BMW N20) you can get away with just attached in at the MAP sensor and getting the bulk of the gains. On other applications however (Audi as an example) in order to get any meaningful gains you have to attach to both sensors. Just doing one or the other yields very minimal gains. Made sense to us in order to offer a very attractive price point to just streamline it as much as possible as you are getting nearly the same gains as going to both sensors.

Like pretty much every other piggyback on the market, fuel, timing, and other variables are being adjusted by the factory DME. To my knowledge the full warrantied DINANTRONICS is the only unit that manages those variables in any other way.

We do not do any testing on CATless as it is not emissions legal. It will work fine though. Just have CEL is all. N26/N20 will yields the same gains (with CATs) as the N26 has a more restrictive Cat that hinders performance at the top end. As you can see in the graph above the top end additions are pretty minimal to begin with so the higher squid count on the N26 CAT and its hindrance on power has very little effect on this tune.

Any tune can be detected. If anyone tells you otherwise they are lying. While the dealership techs may not have the tools to find evidence of a tune per se it can be determined should a large warranty claim come up by BMW/PUMA. This device dos not hold the typical Dinan warranty and is simply a workmanship and defect 1 year warranty for all intents and puroposes (like everyone else) so it should be treated as such.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 10:28 PM   #15
ACR3597
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i MSport

Well I was just about to order the BMS, but then I saw this so I went ahead and ordered the Dinantronics. Are the module and wires waterproof? Also, after I install the tune would be necessary that I drive the car for a few miles to let the tune get used to the car before I go hard on the car? Lastly, when do you think the iOS app will be released?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 12:51 AM   #16
89alpinem3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16'320i,89'M3,08'X3,12'128i

Pm sent

Quote:
The installation instructions are right on the product page but the unit connects to the MAP sensor (boost sensor on the intake pipe). Straight boost increase across the rev range. Tis not a very complicated device like its bigger brother. Just a simple boost controller for those that simply want more power. Most other stage 1 tunes connect 2 sensors (MAP and TMAP) but in some applications (like the BMW N20) you can get away with just attached in at the MAP sensor and getting the bulk of the gains. On other applications however (Audi as an example) in order to get any meaningful gains you have to attach to both sensors. Just doing one or the other yields very minimal gains. Made sense to us in order to offer a very attractive price point to just streamline it as much as possible as you are getting nearly the same gains as going to both sensors.

Like pretty much every other piggyback on the market, fuel, timing, and other variables are being adjusted by the factory DME. To my knowledge the full warrantied DINANTRONICS is the only unit that manages those variables in any other way.

We do not do any testing on CATless as it is not emissions legal. It will work fine though. Just have CEL is all. N26/N20 will yields the same gains (with CATs) as the N26 has a more restrictive Cat that hinders performance at the top end. As you can see in the graph above the top end additions are pretty minimal to begin with so the higher squid count on the N26 CAT and its hindrance on power has very little effect on this tune.

Any tune can be detected. If anyone tells you otherwise they are lying. While the dealership techs may not have the tools to find evidence of a tune per se it can be determined should a large warranty claim come up by BMW/PUMA. This device dos not hold the typical Dinan warranty and is simply a workmanship and defect 1 year warranty for all intents and puroposes (like everyone else) so it should be treated as such.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 03:35 PM   #17
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACR3597 View Post
Well I was just about to order the BMS, but then I saw this so I went ahead and ordered the Dinantronics. Are the module and wires waterproof? Also, after I install the tune would be necessary that I drive the car for a few miles to let the tune get used to the car before I go hard on the car? Lastly, when do you think the iOS app will be released?
One of many. Been a big response already. The unit shouldn't be submerged in liquid or anything but the circuitry/plugs are conformally coated to protect against liquid elements.

There is minimal, if any, adaptation period. I would still start in the lower settings (sport/sport+) and hammer on those before you up it to the race setting but thats more so you can appreciate the differences between the stages and get use to the increased power more then anything.

I will refrain from giving an estimate on the iOS app as that bit me the last time around. The first iOS app we did for the full DINANTRONICS took about 3 months to make it to the store with all the random hoops apple seemingly made us go through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89alpinem3 View Post
Pm sent
Replied. Will get back to you by EOD tomorrow if I don't hear from the other guy.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2016, 04:05 PM   #18
bateau
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sedan

Do customers without access to 93 octane need to do anything special? In Seattle we only have 92 available.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #19
m4rcus
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i: Sport, 6sp manual

Quote:
One of many. Been a big response already. The unit shouldn't be submerged in liquid or anything but the circuitry/plugs are conformally coated to protect against liquid elements.

There is minimal, if any, adaptation period. I would still start in the lower settings (sport/sport+) and hammer on those before you up it to the race setting but thats more so you can appreciate the differences between the stages and get use to the increased power more then anything.

I will refrain from giving an estimate on the iOS app as that bit me the last time around. The first iOS app we did for the full DINANTRONICS took about 3 months to make it to the store with all the random hoops apple seemingly made us go through.

Replied. Will get back to you by EOD tomorrow if I don't hear from the other guy.
Thanks for the offer but go ahead with 89alpinem3. I'm not planning on going with any tunes or upgrades for a bit. Looks like a great product and will be greatly interested in the results on a 320i.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #20
ACR3597
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89alpinem3 View Post
Pm sent
If it rains and water somehow gets into the module, it won't break the module will it? Also, where are we supposed to put the module after you connect it to the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 06:37 PM   #21
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If it rains and water somehow gets into the module, it won't break the module will it? Also, where are we supposed to put the module after you connect it to the car?
No, it will not break. Installation instructions can be found at the link below but the unit is just zip tied to existing harness where it suits you.

http://files.dinancars.com/webresources/datasheets/fe87c3c87395f27075d01be824ea0dc5.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bateau View Post
Do customers without access to 93 octane need to do anything special? In Seattle we only have 92 available.
Nope. Works on 91 and up just fine but will just have slightly lower gains is all.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 06:59 PM   #22
ACR3597
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering
Quote:
No, it will not break. Installation instructions can be found at the link below but the unit is just zip tied to existing harness where it suits you.

http://files.dinancars.com/webresources/datasheets/fe87c3c87395f27075d01be824ea0dc5.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bateau View Post
Nope. Works on 91 and up just fine but will just have slightly lower gains is all.
What gas is suggested for best performance?
Appreciate 0