F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Do I need to code my new seats?
GetBMWParts

01-18-2020, 04:16 AM   #1
Original
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Angry Do I need to code my new seats?

Hello,

I purchased a new driver's seat for my F30, since it came with race seats. The donor car was a 2017 and my car is a 2013.

Errors after plugging in the seat:

Bolster adjustment is not working
TPM light turns on
Climate control stops working (has a delay)
The rear view camera stops working

Is this because of the newer module/seat? Has anyone swapped seats and coded them?

Thanks

F82 M4 Individual | DCT | AG A-05 | STD GR3 IND | Motorsport Hardware | VRSF
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 09:50 AM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original View Post
Hello,

I purchased a new driver's seat for my F30, since it came with race seats. The donor car was a 2017 and my car is a 2013.

TPM light turns on

Is this because of the newer module/seat? Has anyone swapped seats and coded them?

Thanks
All those different items are on the KCAN in a 2013 vehicle so it would seem that you have an issue on that circuit.

As the KCAN run the length of the car, if this happened out of the blue, you could be looking at 10 hours of diagnostic time to track down the issue. As your car was operating normally prior, it's clearly an issue from the connections into the seats, which narrows it down.

Obviously it's wired incorrectly or the module under the seat(s) is bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 01:07 PM   #3
Original
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Hello,

TPM light turns on

Thanks
All those different items are on the KCAN in a 2013 vehicle so it would seem that you have an issue on that circuit.

As the KCAN run the length of the car, if this happened out of the blue, you could be looking at 10 hours of diagnostic time to track down the issue. As your car was operating normally prior, it's clearly an issue from the connections into the seats, which narrows it down.

Thanks for the response. This didn't happen out of the blue, since the seat never functioned normal from the moment I installed it.

I am just trying to see if anyone here swapped seats and everything worked fine. The seats came out of a LCI vehicle, and my car is non-LCI don't know if that matters though.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 02:55 PM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello,

TPM light turns on

Thanks

Thanks for the response. This didn't happen out of the blue, since the seat never functioned normal from the moment I installed it.

I am just trying to see if anyone here swapped seats and everything worked fine. The seats came out of a LCI vehicle, and my car is non-LCI don't know if that matters though.
The reason I can give you the response is I did swap LCI seats into a Non-LCI car and experienced malfunctions in many of the devices you have listed.

In my instance, the ECU under the driver seat in the LCI replacement was bad and shorting the KCAN to ground.

Unfortunately I had also replaced the side mirrors at the same time (which are on the KCAN circuit) and another device so pointing to the seats wasn't as straight forward in my instance as the error code was a short on the circuit which runs the length of the car. Common sense would have been a bad wire shorting to ground, not a bad ECU shorting to ground.

You do not list your error codes so that will be your starting point.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 12:57 AM   #5
Original
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The reason I can give you the response is I did swap LCI seats into a Non-LCI car and experienced malfunctions in many of the devices you have listed.

In my instance, the ECU under the driver seat in the LCI replacement was bad and shorting the KCAN to ground.

Unfortunately I had also replaced the side mirrors at the same time (which are on the KCAN circuit) and another device so pointing to the seats wasn't as straight forward in my instance as the error code was a short on the circuit which runs the length of the car. Common sense would have been a bad wire shorting to ground, not a bad ECU shorting to ground.

I am going to plug-in the seat tomorrow, hopefully I can find out the codes. That way I can list it on here.

Thank you for the help

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 11:58 PM   #6
Imperial328i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MGM 328i, 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Quote:

I am going to plug-in the seat tomorrow, hopefully I can find out the codes. That way I can list it on here.

Thank you for the help
When I swapped seats into my F30 I used as much of the original electronics as possible. I had no errors. The bolster adjustment on the new seats doesn't work, but my car didn't come with it to begin with. I'm sure I could make it work if I tried. Hope that helps.
      02-02-2020, 10:14 AM   #7
pcking
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 320i xDrive

Does anyone know if we have any sort of interchange matrix for seats and interior.

I just pass 200K mi last week and I'd like to swap in a newer/nicer interior.

Before I start looking, it would be good to understand not only what will fit physically as well as what can be properly connected/coded for proper operation.

I poked around a few of the other 'seat' threads but they all seem to be specific to each persons vehicle and seat combo.
Mods: Stoptech Sport Brakes, Injen Intake, BMS Catch Can, AFE Downpipe & 328i Sport Exhaust, Evolution Raceworks Chargepipes, VRSF intercooler, AFE tBody Spacer, MHI Big Turbo, BM3 Stage 2 93 Octane tune, Bilstein B8 Sport+ dampers, Dinan Perf Spring Set & Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 12:35 PM   #8
Original
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Forgot to mention earlier in the post, that I sold the original drivers side seat and replaced it with a race seat.

I found out the modules were actually completely different part numbers. Luckily I was able to find a module that matched my passenger side.

Now everything is functioning in the car including heating option, bolster adjustment and so on.

The only issue I have no is the "drivers restraint malfunction." I will check the codes today and post it, maybe someone has a solution to this. I tried resetting it, but it doesn't do anything.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 07:05 AM   #9
sylver65
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d xdrive

Quote:
Forgot to mention earlier in the post, that I sold the original drivers side seat and replaced it with a race seat.

I found out the modules were actually completely different part numbers. Luckily I was able to find a module that matched my passenger side.

Now everything is functioning in the car including heating option, bolster adjustment and so on.

The only issue I have no is the "drivers restraint malfunction." I will check the codes today and post it, maybe someone has a solution to this. I tried resetting it, but it doesn't do anything.
Try to collect at pin 49 and 50 to A173*8B
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 11:31 AM   #10
Original
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylver65 View Post
Quote:

Try to collect at pin 49 and 50 to A173*8B
Hi,

Here are the error codes:

SMFA Seat Module, Driver:
802A00 SMFA: no current coding data stored
802A03 SMFA: control unit is not encoded for the vehicle
802A08 Personal profile porting restricted due to lack of calibration

Airbag-ACSM Crash Safety Module:
930978 Driver's side airbag: Coding data do not match equipment

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 03:49 PM   #11
larrylam646
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Hi,

Here are the error codes:

SMFA Seat Module, Driver:
802A00 SMFA: no current coding data stored
802A03 SMFA: control unit is not encoded for the vehicle
802A08 Personal profile porting restricted due to lack of calibration

Airbag-ACSM Crash Safety Module:
930978 Driver's side airbag: Coding data do not match equipment
Based on the SM error messages, I believe the CAFD for the new SM module is missing. You may have to inject CAFD file/VO Code the module (using Esys) and then calibrate the seat limits (using ISTA+). I also suggest you check the i-level of the new SM module to make sure it is the same as the vehicle i-level and if not the same, confirm the i-level does not have any dependencies.

The ACSM error may disappear once the SM errors are fix but you may have to run an ISTA utility to let the ACSM learn about the new SM module.

Larry
      02-12-2020, 12:04 AM   #12
Original
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylam646 View Post
Based on the SM error messages, I believe the CAFD for the new SM module is missing. You may have to inject CAFD file/VO Code the module (using Esys) and then calibrate the seat limits (using ISTA+). I also suggest you check the i-level of the new SM module to make sure it is the same as the vehicle i-level and if not the same, confirm the i-level does not have any dependencies.

The ACSM error may disappear once the SM errors are fix but you may have to run an ISTA utility to let the ACSM learn about the new SM module.

Larry
Hi Larry,

I was working with user @david51. He was able to figure out the solution by injecting the new CAFD file to the module. Everything works perfect now. Thanks everyone for helping me out with this issue, especially @david51.

Appreciate 0