F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport vs sport plus mode
GetBMWParts

08-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #23
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds
I am waiting for 300hp's results. I was totally under the impression that Sport+ is just Sport with DSC off and DTC on.
I read the other thread posted by DVC it's pretty informative. I got caught up in testing the waze app in terms of picking up cops (i am not a fan of those guys lol) so I forgot to really test out the modes.

Initially I did test sport and sport+ to see throttle response but I really could not feel a difference. I reasoned it out as different gears and speed at the point at which I was starting the tests. I also don't know if sport to sport+ is an instantaneous change or it takes a minute or so for things to fully set in.

I need to test the car from a standstill from the same place to really check the throttle response. I need to also read the other thread since guys who xcross their cars gave a lot of feedback so I have see how my test plays out with respect to what is in the other thread.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #24
gøgler
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i

In my Danish F30 328i AT: sport+ = (DTC on + cruise control off). By the way a great AT.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #25
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Maybe I need to recheck, but as far as I know (and this is silly we don't just read the manual instead of rehashing this) sport + is exactly the same as sport (throttle/steering/shift points, etc) with the exception of DTC off. Basically, it allows for wheel spin in a straight line but DSC will keep you from getting too squirlly unless you try to make the car defy physics (don't worry you can still do it as I found out on a track day).

Basically sport+ is traction control light.

If you're in sport mode and hold the button to turn DSC fully off it will retain some of the sport characteristics (suspension?) but not all. I think the throttle will revert to comfort mode regardless, perhaps steering sensitivity too.

/memory isnt as good as the manual so take this with a grain of salt, some of my details may be off
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #26
topcat87
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Maybe I need to recheck, but as far as I know (and this is silly we don't just read the manual instead of rehashing this) sport + is exactly the same as sport (throttle/steering/shift points, etc) with the exception of DTC off. Basically, it allows for wheel spin in a straight line but DSC will keep you from getting too squirlly unless you try to make the car defy physics (don't worry you can still do it as I found out on a track day).

If you're in sport mode and hold the button to turn DSC fully off it will retain some of the sport characteristics (suspension?) but not all. I think the throttle will revert to comfort mode regardless, perhaps steering sensitivity too.

/memory isnt as good as the manual so take this with a grain of salt, some of my details may be off
auto shifts are faster in sport+ than sport you can feel the gear change kick the car
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #27
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle

I agree with this. This is what I seem to recall seeing somewhere out there. Someone also had a good point about how the AT behaves at redline and sport+ will allow you to hold your gear without the AT intruding to change the gear for you. Sport+ gives you more control , that's the key benefit

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #28
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat87 View Post
auto shifts are faster in sport+ than sport you can feel the gear change kick the car
Is that only when in sport+ or are you speaking of when you pull the shifter to the left? Even in comfort pulling it to the left will make the car shift faster (or so it seems) and later, basically the sport shift points.

Obviously, you can also choose to shift manually and once you do with the shifter to the left it will force you to shift or you can have fun with the car bouncing off redline. It won't revert back to auto mode after awhile like it does if you leave it in the center position.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #29
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

after many attempts to figure this out, I realized the I drive screen tells you what its doing when you initiate the sport+ mode.

When you go to sport + mode, beside the traction control change, the drive mode (with DHP and in my case MPPK and sport 8sp auto) is set to chassis and drivetrain configuration in sport+ whether you have chosen chassis only or not as your sport button configuration ( my normal config ) via I drive

It raises the shift points and the throttle response. I still think it also tightens the steering but its incremental (or wishful thinking). The shift points seem to go even higher when toggle the shifter lever but only tired it once or twice.

check it out and let me know if I am correct or hallucinating.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #30
jddssc121
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vroom

Sport+ disables kickdown mode, which is reason alone to drive with it on all the time
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 09:42 PM   #31
synapse88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

^ sounds right. I just got a 2016 328i and for me, it seems like in Sport+ the AT is less prone to downshifting, keeping the RPMs higher than I'd like than I like for normal daily driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 12:08 AM   #32
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Enjoy

Let me go and test out the sport/sport+ settings on mine and will report back later
Sport mode doesn’t feel that much different from comfort mode. Sport+ is a whole different animal. Heavier steering and much lighter throttle response. I have no mods on my car. The car also stays in lower gear longer.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #33
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I've did some playing over the last couple weeks to try to clarify the driving modes. I have a 2016 BMW 340xi, and I've attached a table of how they work on my car. I drive in manual / sport mode all the time, so I have no comment about when the transmission shifts in pure auto mode, or which modes inhibit 8th gear.

The other E90 / F30 tables do not match my vehicle. Attached in case others where wondering what they do. Only real change in sport+ that I can see is the exhaust valve on the left tip is open all the time, and DTC turns off. With it off, and on dry pavement, I can slip the rear out under hard cornering / acceleration, as well as the car allows wheel slip during gear changes so the car accelerates like a demon (with the expense of some rubber).
Attached Images

Last edited by Wires; 10-05-2019 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 2
F30lolz6798.50
Londoner168.00
      10-22-2019, 07:50 PM   #34
JayFar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
I've did some playing over the last couple weeks to try to clarify the driving modes. I have a 2016 BMW 340xi, and I've attached a table of how they work on my car. I drive in manual / sport mode all the time, so I have no comment about when the transmission shifts in pure auto mode, or which modes inhibit 8th gear.

The other E90 / F30 tables do not match my vehicle. Attached in case others where wondering what they do. Only real change in sport+ that I can see is the exhaust valve on the left tip is open all the time, and DTC turns off. With it off, and on dry pavement, I can slip the rear out under hard cornering / acceleration, as well as the car allows wheel slip during gear changes so the car accelerates like a demon (with the expense of some rubber).
Thanks for the chart. I've only just finish the break in on my 2020 440xi convertible, and used Sport + today. I was a little surprised by the difference between Sport and Sport +. I definitely wasn't expecting such a noticeable difference. Even with light acceleration it still felt like much more torque than I had gotten used to. I'll definitely be running Sport + a lot more
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 08:11 PM   #35
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFar View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the chart. I've only just finish the break in on my 2020 440xi convertible, and used Sport + today. I was a little surprised by the difference between Sport and Sport +. I definitely wasn't expecting such a noticeable difference. Even with light acceleration it still felt like much more torque than I had gotten used to. I'll definitely be running Sport + a lot more
Sport + is more aggressive than sport. It wasn't the case with the earlier cars where sport plus was just less traction control as you'll see in the earliest posts from 2013. This is no longer the case as you have noted.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 09:45 PM   #36
Yungsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Sport + is more aggressive than sport. It wasn't the case with the earlier cars where sport plus was just less traction control as you'll see in the earliest posts from 2013. This is no longer the case as you have noted.
so in terms of acceleration, is one mode faster than the other? I have a 2016 435i.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 09:50 PM   #37
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2015 435i

I was thinking about this thread today so I’m glad to see it again. I think there may be a problem with how my 2016 340i xDrive is shifting when in Sport + mode. In the lower gears (1st-3rd), the car isn’t shifting until 4,500-5,000 RPMs even under slow to moderate acceleration whereas in Sport mode, the car shifts sooner, smoother and faster. Is this normal with Sport + mode or is it possible that there is an issue? The car just doesn’t feel right when shifting like that in Sport + mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 10:01 PM   #38
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWApp View Post
I was thinking about this thread today so I'm glad to see it again. I think there may be a problem with how my 2016 340i xDrive is shifting when in Sport + mode. In the lower gears (1st-3rd), the car isn't shifting until 4,500-5,000 RPMs even under slow to moderate acceleration whereas in Sport mode, the car shifts sooner, smoother and faster. Is this normal with Sport + mode or is it possible that there is an issue? The car just doesn't feel right when shifting like that in Sport + mode.
Yes that's what it does, it's quite aggressive, sounds about right as the computer is waiting for you to apply more gas so it holds the gear much like in a rolling race where you start off at a certain speed and then go all out, you want to be in a lower gear so you can launch faster at speed. If you're very gentle on the throttle it will shift sooner in sport plus, but it's very sensitive and if you don't apply enough throttle you may actually feel some engine braking before it shifts. I've noticed that sport plus in D is about the same as stick to the left in sport or sport plus when it is in S mode. But in sport plus the throttle response is more aggressive than sport, which in turn is more aggressive than comfort.
Appreciate 1
Londoner168.00
      10-22-2019, 10:03 PM   #39
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yungsta View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

so in terms of acceleration, is one mode faster than the other? I have a 2016 435i.
Since you have the N55, you may not notice much difference, it's mainly with the B58 you will notice a difference. Because the throttle is more sensitive to input it can accelerate faster in some situations, but if you were to floor it you would get the same amount of power, as it does not increase the max horsepower and torque of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 08:01 AM   #40
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i msport+ MPPSK

Quote:
Since you have the N55, you may not notice much difference, it's mainly with the B58 you will notice a difference. Because the throttle is more sensitive to input it can accelerate faster in some situations, but if you were to floor it you would get the same amount of power, as it does not increase the max horsepower and torque of the engine.
Indeed - it seems 335s as an example are mapped differently to 340s. Is kick down definitely disabled in sport+? If so is that because you'll be in a lower gear than when in sport, rendering it useless?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 08:45 AM   #41
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2015 435i

Quote:
Yes that's what it does, it's quite aggressive, sounds about right as the computer is waiting for you to apply more gas so it holds the gear much like in a rolling race where you start off at a certain speed and then go all out, you want to be in a lower gear so you can launch faster at speed. If you're very gentle on the throttle it will shift sooner in sport plus, but it's very sensitive and if you don't apply enough throttle you may actually feel some engine braking before it shifts. I've noticed that sport plus in D is about the same as stick to the left in sport or sport plus when it is in S mode. But in sport plus the throttle response is more aggressive than sport, which in turn is more aggressive than comfort.
Thanks for the feedback. I’ll try Sport + again and will get on the throttle harder. I’m not as concerned about the higher RPMs before shifts as much as that the car just feels a lot slower in the lower gears. Fourth gear and up feels great since I’m already moving at higher speeds.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 08:48 AM   #42
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
Quote:
Indeed - it seems 335s as an example are mapped differently to 340s. Is kick down definitely disabled in sport+? If so is that because you'll be in a lower gear than when in sport, rendering it useless?
No it should kick down sooner unless you're already in the lowest possible gear for the speed you're going. Are you able to downshift manually? You may have to floor it past kicktown on the gas pedal to get the lowest gear. Also, when you brake hard you will notice it down shifting sooner as well so you have more power when exiting a turn. I think it does this in sport as well but maybe to a lesser degree so you should notice it on the 335 as well or maybe you'll notice it with the tranny in S mode. I think S transmission setting gives you sport plus shift logic in any mode.
Appreciate 1
Londoner168.00
      10-23-2019, 10:42 AM   #43
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i msport+ MPPSK

Quote:
No it should kick down sooner unless you're already in the lowest possible gear for the speed you're going. Are you able to downshift manually? You may have to floor it past kicktown on the gas pedal to get the lowest gear. Also, when you brake hard you will notice it down shifting sooner as well so you have more power when exiting a turn. I think it does this in sport as well but maybe to a lesser degree so you should notice it on the 335 as well or maybe you'll notice it with the tranny in S mode. I think S transmission setting gives you sport plus shift logic in any mode.
Makes sense, cheers mate, never tested in manual mode, will give it a go...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #44
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
Quote:
Makes sense, cheers mate, never tested in manual mode, will give it a go...
Yeah I'm curious with the 335 if you put it in S mode (stick to the left) while in sport does it shift at higher rpms than sport in D? In manual of course it's just you shifting. If you test this out and it seems to downshift initially when going into S, it sometimes will automatically downshift one gear at first before going into the normal S mode shift logic after a second or two I noticed.
Appreciate 0