F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Retrofit QI charger in centre console
ARMA SPEED

10-20-2021, 01:21 PM   #23
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaf30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE82 View Post
I'm really confused by your original post. I figured you already had the wireless charger…

I'm taking mine out tomorrow haha. It's just a phone heater as far as I'm concerned.
No, my car came wit the old snap in adapter system so wanted to change it!

I thought the qi charger would be a bit better than a rubber tray that I wouldn't use

As mentioned previously, I've never really suffered these hot phone issues with qi. I appreciate it's less efficient than a cable but it's convenient and holds the phone in place nicely.
In a normal setting the phone getting hot via inductive charging isn't an issue. It becomes an issue inside the armrest because the phone is running CarPlay or Android auto, getting charged, and there is zero air circulation. And all that to barely charge it.

You'll see what we're all talking about when you take your first trip over an hour or so with it.