F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Another F30 N20 Blown Motor Thread :(
GetBMWParts

02-02-2021, 11:07 AM   #969
Anders3
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddymerckx3 View Post
...could you please share a recording of your TC whine? I realize there are many others posted, but thot it would be helpful to keep loading on this thread. Thanks
Here is a video of my N20 reved to 3k-4k. I don't think the TC whine is that noticeable, if at all, but I didn't have a good engine/TC to compare to. I'll take a video when I get the car back.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 11:19 AM   #970
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' BMW 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders3 View Post
Quote:
...could you please share a recording of your TC whine? I realize there are many others posted, but thot it would be helpful to keep loading on this thread. Thanks
Here is a video of my N20 reved to 3k-4k. I don't think the TC whine is that noticeable, if at all, but I didn't have a good engine/TC to compare to. I'll take a video when I get the car back.
Sounds fine. No whine. I think the dealer is doing a solid for you. The only metric that the BMW test sheet mandates and requires is the whine.
      02-02-2021, 01:57 PM   #971
Fliplegend
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435ix F33

Quote:
That whine is 100% noticeable. It should definitely not sound like that.
      02-02-2021, 07:09 PM   #972
Volkom
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbender View Post
I have seen a few in the list that are specifically that. I do not download them all since it cost between $1-$5 per letter.
Thanks. I mention this because I see objection letters but not a single request to remove from the class action, which cannot possibly mean that not a single person has opted out.
Per:
https://www.docketbird.com/court-cas...:2017-cv-07386
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 10:31 AM   #973
sjbender
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 E46, '13 F10 (TC failed)

Full docket text for document 147:
MOTION for Settlement Final Approval by ERHAN ARAT, MICHAEL CERNY, KENNETH GAGNON, ARTEM V. GELIS, AMANDA GOREY, NICOLE GUY, KAREN HENDERSON, GREGORY HEYMAN, SUSAN HEYMAN, OLSON V JAMES, CRAIG LASH, ANDRE MALSKE, ALEX MARTINEZ, ROBERT McDONALD, ASHOK PATEL, BHAWAR PATEL, DAVID RICHARDSON, DARRIAN STOVALL, DEBRA P. WARD, CHRIS WILLIAMS, ERIC T. ZINN. (Attachments: # (1) Brief in Support of Motion for Final Approval of Class Action Settlement, # (2) Declaration of Class Counsel in Support of Final Approval of Class Action Settlement, # (3) Exhibit 1 to Jt. Declaration-- Settlement Agreement with Exhibits, # (4) Exhibit 2 to Jt. Declaration-- List of Objections, # (5) Exhibit 3 to Jt. Declaration-- Decision Granting Final Approval to Class Settlement in Herremans v. BMW, # (6) Brief by Plaintiffs in Response to Objections to Final Approval of Class Action Settlement, # (7) Text of Proposed Order Granting Final Approval of Class Action Settlement, # (8) Letter to Judge Waldor Requesting Additional Pages)(GRAIFMAN, GARY)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 10:36 AM   #974
sjbender
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 E46, '13 F10 (TC failed)

List of Objections to date
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 11:16 AM   #975
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliplegend View Post
Quote:
That whine is 100% noticeable. It should definitely not sound like that.
This is what the whine should be. It's a very distinct high pitched sound. His doesn't sound like it. His sounds like a normal N20.

02-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #976
Fliplegend
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435ix F33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_FThirty View Post
This is what the whine should be. It's a very distinct high pitched sound. His doesn't sound like it. His sounds like a normal N20.

I stand corrected. Maybe what I am hearing is the infamous oil pump whine.
      02-03-2021, 04:31 PM   #977
Volkom
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

Buy a borescope for like 20 bucks online. Stick it into your oil cap and down, look at the plastic guides. You'll probably see pieces that surround pins halfway down snapped off.

Better yet, just assume your engine will blow if it's production date is like before late 2015 or whenever they issued the new parts.

My new engine, despite being a much more recent production date, still has a whine, and there was no noticeably different whine before my old one blew.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 09:05 AM   #978
SteelCT
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive; 2020 X3

Maybe someone can help me out. I received the class action letter. I have a 14 328 with N26 engine and 86,000 miles. I do not have the noise now, but would like to have the extended coverage as at least some of the cost would be covered. The only way to opt in to the class action seems to be to return the claim form, but that specifically is for people who have already had a repair done. Is there something that I am missing?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 09:20 AM   #979
sgovind
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial March View Post
Maybe someone can help me out. I received the class action letter. I have a 14 328 with N26 engine and 86,000 miles. I do not have the noise now, but would like to have the extended coverage as at least some of the cost would be covered. The only way to opt in to the class action seems to be to return the claim form, but that specifically is for people who have already had a repair done. Is there something that I am missing?

thanks
I believe you can get the repair done at an Indy and submit the claim form with all supporting documentation to get a refund of 45% of your repair costs or $3k whichever is lesser. This is based on your mileage. They have a break down of how much you can get based on your mileage.
2014 328i xdrive | Black Dakota Leather w/ DIY Blue Stitching | EB Interior trim | M Sport | Lighting | Premium | Driver Assistance | Cold Weather | LCI Tail Lights | M Performance Brakes (Blue) | 340i Muffler
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 10:05 AM   #980
SteelCT
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive; 2020 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgovind View Post
I believe you can get the repair done at an Indy and submit the claim form with all supporting documentation to get a refund of 45% of your repair costs or $3k whichever is lesser. This is based on your mileage. They have a break down of how much you can get based on your mileage.
Thanks. Does this mean that I need to get a repair done on a preemptive basis prior to March 18th and would be reimbursed up to $3,000?

I ask because there is a section that says "Prospective Repair Program" that covers a percentage up to 8 years, 100,000 miles, but no information on how to join it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 10:46 AM   #981
sgovind
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial March View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgovind View Post
Thanks. Does this mean that I need to get a repair done on a preemptive basis prior to March 18th and would be reimbursed up to $3,000?

I ask because there is a section that says "Prospective Repair Program" that covers a percentage up to 8 years, 100,000 miles, but no information on how to join it.
According to the class action letter, all repairs performed after the effective date will only be eligible for a reimbursement if performed at an authorized BMW dealership so you probably don't have to do anything there. Just take your car to the dealer, show them this letter and they will probably just bill you your portion of the repair cost.

You can always check with them before you do that to make sure they will honor it.
2014 328i xdrive | Black Dakota Leather w/ DIY Blue Stitching | EB Interior trim | M Sport | Lighting | Premium | Driver Assistance | Cold Weather | LCI Tail Lights | M Performance Brakes (Blue) | 340i Muffler
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 02:20 PM   #982
panzera67
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i

Timing chain just failed.

I have been following the thread for a little while and sure enough my timing chain failed on my 93,000 mile 2013 528i yesterday. Just got a call from the indy shop and he says there appears to be significant engine damage and likely needs a new engine.

Can someone help me with understanding what % would be paid by BMW at this point? My indy shop is quoting me $11,600 to replace engine. Depending on how much of that BMW would pay, I may opt to just try to sell it DOA. Has anyone sold one like that and to whom?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 03:00 PM   #983
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzera67 View Post
I have been following the thread for a little while and sure enough my timing chain failed on my 93,000 mile 2013 528i yesterday. Just got a call from the indy shop and he says there appears to be significant engine damage and likely needs a new engine.

Can someone help me with understanding what % would be paid by BMW at this point? My indy shop is quoting me $11,600 to replace engine. Depending on how much of that BMW would pay, I may opt to just try to sell it DOA. Has anyone sold one like that and to whom?
Very unfortunate about your issue. Contact BMWNA and advise them what they can cover. What’s the built date of your 528? Also, IMHO almost 12 large seems quite high for an Indy. There are used N20’s all over for $3k shipped with warranty. I know your Indy needs to make some coin/labor costs but he’s clearly capitalizing.

I’ve posted this about a year ago but figured to follow up on my situation. 2015 428 GC (Jan 2015 built date), had a dealer in Miami change out my TC/guides at around 67k miles with ZERO symptoms under the 7/70 warranty in Nov 2019. Fast forward a month later (Dec 2019) and got caught in a flash flood which seized the engine. Insurance replaced the engine with a used 2015 N20 motor.

Haven’t been able to find out the VIN of the donor vehicle so not sure of the built date. Assuming I have a N20 built prior to March 2015 when the new parts where implemented for all N20/26’s, so far so good. I drive A LOT and currently have 160k on the dash and the engine I was told had 90k miles already before it was shoved into my f36. So basically 170k on my used N20 with no symptoms so wanted to see other members chime in on even higher mileage on their N20/26’s with original TC/guides.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 11:33 PM   #984
gauravr2005
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Timing Chain Noise

After reading the horror stories on various forums and receiving the class action lawsuit settlement in my mailbox, I thought of taking a hard look at my 2013 BMW 320i (84K miles). The car has given me 0 problems since purchase and I have an extended Easycare warranty till 100K which gives me some peace of mind. Recently I started noticing a faint whine so wanted to check if this can be a timing chain issue. Went to the stealership today and they refused to even look at it (despite me offering to pay the diagnostic fee). The SA told me there is no way they would be able to determine if the timing chain is about to fail and recommended that I should wait for it to fail or pay the 6K which wouldn't be reimbursed either by BWM or the warranty .

Does this sound like the timing chain issue:
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 11:44 PM   #985
schnellwagen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i SULEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravr2005 View Post
After reading the horror stories on various forums and receiving the class action lawsuit settlement in my mailbox, I thought of taking a hard look at my 2013 BMW 320i (84K miles). The car has given me 0 problems since purchase and I have an extended Easycare warranty till 100K which gives me some peace of mind. Recently I started noticing a faint whine so wanted to check if this can be a timing chain issue. Went to the stealership today and they refused to even look at it (despite me offering to pay the diagnostic fee). The SA told me there is no way they would be able to determine if the timing chain is about to fail and recommended that I should wait for it to fail or pay the 6K which wouldn't be reimbursed either by BWM or the warranty .

That doesn't sound normal. Get it checked out
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2021, 02:37 PM   #986
eddymerckx3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive sport line

Quote:
... or pay the 6K which wouldn't be reimbursed either by BWM or the warranty .
...just curious, is $6K what they quoted you for preemptive TC replacement or for a new engine? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 02:42 PM   #987
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:

Where was the warranty purchased from? Read the fine print regarding what’s covered as IIRC just about all warranty companies that cover engines will state something like: all internal lubricated parts. Seems to me your SA is being a lazy asshat on a Saturday. Speak to the service manager about your concern and demand them to look at it as it should be covered.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 03:22 PM   #988
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellwagen View Post
Quote:

That doesn't sound normal. Get it checked out
The video clip and rev range is not long enough to tell.
      02-06-2021, 05:50 PM   #989
gauravr2005
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_FThirty View Post
The video clip and rev range is not long enough to tell.
Thanks! I would post another one tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Where was the warranty purchased from? Read the fine print regarding what’s covered as IIRC just about all warranty companies that cover engines will state something like: all internal lubricated parts. Seems to me your SA is being a lazy asshat on a Saturday. Speak to the service manager about your concern and demand them to look at it as it should be covered.
It's a 3P warranty but covers almost everything (Easycare Total care). I bought it from the dealership itself. I agree that my SA was being a douche and I am planning on reporting him to the service manager. He literally said that he sees almost 10% of the N20 engines coming back with the failed timing chain but emphasized that recalls are only for safety issues and he hasn't ever seen a recall for a mechanical breakdown. I have also left the dealership a nasty review on google.

Quote:
...just curious, is $6K what they quoted you for preemptive TC replacement or for a new engine? Thanks.
Only for the TC replacement. He asked me to drive the car around and come back when the TC actually fails.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 08:35 PM   #990
DarkF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

So if you're out of warranty, there's really nothing you can do besides wait til if it breaks then you can only get it covered partially by bmw?
Appreciate 0