F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Any before/afters of blackline 4er lights?
ARMA SPEED

08-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #1
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Any before/afters of blackline 4er lights?

Has anyone got any side by side shots or before/after photos of the 4 series blackline lci's tail lights?

I retrofitted the original lci's and I've been wanting them lightly tinted for ages now, but I'm just not keen on the DRL's and reverse lights discolouring.

So I'm very close to pulling the trigger on ordering them
      08-09-2019, 04:38 PM   #2
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

I would try ordering some cheap DIY tint on amazon and just applying it! Doesnt have to be perfect obviously but atleast you get a first person view for minimal cost
      08-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #3
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryo91 View Post
I would try ordering some cheap DIY tint on amazon and just applying it! Doesnt have to be perfect obviously but atleast you get a first person view for minimal cost
We have annual MOT inspections in the UK which would require it stripping off each time unfortunately. Unlike my decat downpipe which I can remove for the inspection, I reckon applying a tint perfectly each time could be annoying eventually.

I managed to get a pair ordered and delivered by the next day so I'll post some comparison photos up after work tonight!
      08-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #4
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by producerlawson View Post
We have annual MOT inspections in the UK which would require it stripping off each time unfortunately. Unlike my decat downpipe which I can remove for the inspection, I reckon applying a tint perfectly each time could be annoying eventually.

I managed to get a pair ordered and delivered by the next day so I'll post some comparison photos up after work tonight!
Aint no replacement for the real thing congrats, cant wait to see it!
      08-13-2019, 07:11 PM   #5
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Outer light comparison:

Inner light comparison:

Original LCI's

Blackline:
      08-15-2019, 05:08 AM   #6
F80DXB
Enlisted Member
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB F80 M3 ZCP

They look fantastic. Could you please share a link to where you purchased your Original and Blackline LCIs?

Also how was the install process? Is it difficult?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 05:15 AM   #7
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudCode View Post
They look fantastic. Could you please share a link to where you purchased your Original and Blackline LCIs?

Also how was the install process? Is it difficult?
I got both of mine through a parts store of a dealership, they kind of help out the community with really good prices too. That way I get good shipping and a 2 year manufacture warranty.

The install for me was plug and play, purely because I did the conversion a little while ago.

What I did in essence was create one of these out of parts:

The plugs from BMW though added up to around £50, so by the time you've been to an electrical store for some wire and varied size crimp connector pins you'll have spent around £60/65.. so you may as well buy the premade kits on eBay that retail for about £60 (basically whats on that photo).

All you have to do is plug this into your final set of wires before your inner tail lights, almost like daisy chaining them, and then you plug your inner tail light connectors into that adapter. All whats left then is to run the extra white cable into your harness in the boot (near the battery) - super simple, you just have to take your time and read up on the instructions a few times before hand so that it doesn't seem as daunting
      11-10-2019, 11:20 AM   #8
Mick.86uk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F36 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by producerlawson View Post
I got both of mine through a parts store of a dealership, they kind of help out the community with really good prices too. That way I get good shipping and a 2 year manufacture warranty.

The install for me was plug and play, purely because I did the conversion a little while ago.

The plugs from BMW though added up to around £50, so by the time you've been to an electrical store for some wire and varied size crimp connector pins you'll have spent around £60/65.. so you may as well buy the premade kits on eBay that retail for about £60 (basically whats on that photo).

All you have to do is plug this into your final set of wires before your inner tail lights, almost like daisy chaining them, and then you plug your inner tail light connectors into that adapter. All whats left then is to run the extra white cable into your harness in the boot (near the battery) - super simple, you just have to take your time and read up on the instructions a few times before hand so that it doesn't seem as daunting
I've just installed the harness pictured and LCI tail lights.

Routing the inner indicator cables was a pain on the F36 but got them wired through.

Last thing I need to do is connect into the REM, I'd rather posi tap to the existing outer indicator cables.

Which cables do I need to connect onto?

Thanks.

EDIT:

Found it on your other thread.

"Again based on my experience, these were the following:
Left indicator: black & white striped wire running into the far right plug on the REM module
Right indicator - purple & black striped wire running in the left plug on the REM module (not middle! this only controls the inner right light, we need the original source of the indicator from the outer right light)"

Last edited by Mick.86uk; 11-10-2019 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 07:56 PM   #9
S5N
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortythirtyfive View Post

Don't suppose you could let me know if what the part store is called mate? I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of blackline lights on eBay for £779.. just curious if I can get them cheaper from a dealer??
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 05:18 AM   #10
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Wow, they look so similar, and cost so much I honestly would spend money on smth else.
wdeerfield2746.50
      01-07-2021, 05:39 PM   #11
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
The are noticeable enough. Especially in the sun. The normal ones are really in your face whilst the black lines stay moderate.