F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
Extreme Powerhouse

12-18-2020, 03:52 AM   #5677
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarv View Post
Just want to check, as this has been a discussion point here:

What is needed to make changes to the Andream B fw?

My understanding was that people were unable to open/decrypt the BIN-file, however it opens just fine (1.0.4-2, 1.1.2) in 7-zip as an archive? (see attachment).

Or is the problem that we can't make any changes to the archive without breaking it?

Thanks
Opening/unpacking the file is not the issue.
Repacking it is the problem.

There's a flash script included that flashes the file in 2 MB chunks to the unit's NAND. Each chunk has its own md5 sum, so you'd need to account for that.
On top of that, the chunks are addressed by file offset, so if the file size of the partition changes by a single Byte (which is basically impossible to avoid), all offsets will be wrong as well.
Appreciate 1
ckarv15.50
      12-18-2020, 04:22 AM   #5678
zeus_1903
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 2014 3.20d f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgbeny View Post
Trying to figure out if I should upgrade the firmware. My curent CUST version is B_V1.0.4 with MCU 20.8.19.23. Will updating fix some of my problems:
1. Regular disconnection from carplay, even on the road.
2. Multi-user use (when my wife uses the car): is this working for anyone. Whenever there is a switch, the user must go through the whole process of reconnection for it to work.
3. Weak GPS signal from time to time. Not sure this is an MMI issue but when I was using the phone without Carplay, the signal was good. What happens is that sometimes my car appears on different streets, while driving (tried multiple apps with the same result).
is the problem solved ?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 04:29 AM   #5679
ckarv
Private
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post
Opening/unpacking the file is not the issue.
Repacking it is the problem.

There's a flash script included that flashes the file in 2 MB chunks to the unit's NAND. Each chunk has its own md5 sum, so you'd need to account for that.
On top of that, the chunks are addressed by file offset, so if the file size of the partition changes by a single Byte (which is basically impossible to avoid), all offsets will be wrong as well.
Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 07:19 AM   #5680
v_pinto
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 C7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9099 View Post
ISPbooot.bin Is an archive like a zip file, you need to unpack the file using Binwalk. I have had a look in the archive already and it's not simple stuff.

Plus if you are on a version B box the firmware, as per Muniz_RI's earlier posts, these cannot be repacked. Nobody has worked out how to do it yet.
I've been trying to use Binwalk but I don't know how to do it. Can someone see if the files can be modified?

The zip file contains the MCU update and the Software update.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ltfyq695l...pdate.zip?dl=0

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 07:29 AM   #5681
ibgbeny
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F34

Quote:
Originally Posted by volterbeer View Post
okay I will try it tonight.
actually they send me 2 different instruction. one is how you said, another is new cable between display and box

did you have NBT or CIC?
NBT
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 07:43 AM   #5682
ibgbeny
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F34

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus_1903 View Post
is the problem solved ?
didn't try the upgrade yet. I just switched carplay connection to wired and there are no issues with disconnections anymore
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 07:59 AM   #5683
SuperLomi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stievo9997 View Post
Hi all,

Just bought a new B unit.

SDK version: 25.0.0.5.6.0.0.0
CUST version: B_v1.1.2.
MCU version: 20.8.19.23
HW Version: BMW_NBT

But when i enter the car, it always starts up in de BMW Idrive display. Instead of the last used (andream / android auto)

Does anybody knows how to get it started with the last used setting?
Read through this post (or do targeted searched) but I'm pretty sure autostart for AA has been bugged/not working for some time. I believe only Bimmertech and the custom software have fixed this.

Unfortunately the B unit's do not have access to the custom software. I believe the only vender still selling "A" unit's that are compatible is Carlinkit - which is why they are recommended if using AA.

There was someone looking to buy one of these posting above. If it's that much of a problem maybe you could sell your Andream to them, and buy a Carlinkit. The wiring should all be the same, so you'd just have to swap the box I think.

Last edited by SuperLomi; 12-18-2020 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 08:30 AM   #5684
Stievo9997
Rep
Drives: 330ci(e46) 535i(f10) 428i(f33)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLomi View Post
Read through this post (or do targeted searched) but I'm pretty sure autostart for AA has been bugged/not working for some time. I believe only Bimmertech and the custom software have fixed this.

Unfortunately the B unit's do not have access to the custom software. I believe the only vender still selling "A" unit's that are compatible is Carlinkit - which is why they are recommended if using AA.

There was someone looking to buy one of these posting above. If it's that much of a problem maybe you could sell your Andream to them, and buy a Carlinkit. The wiring should all be the same, so you'd just have to swap the box.
Oke thnx, but Autostart for Android Auto (wireless) does work for me. But when using Android Auto and i stop the car. And afterwards when i use the car again, it's starting in the original BMW system. When i hold menu again, it switched to Andream again, and there is Android Auto already active again.

So the question: is it possible to start with the screen on the last used 'system' instead of switching everytime to Andream / AA.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 09:42 AM   #5685
Thewrench86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 \M sport. F06 640d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgbeny View Post
didn't try the upgrade yet. I just switched carplay connection to wired and there are no issues with disconnections anymore
interested to see if the update works for you because i have the same software on mine as ur unit currently 1.04-2 and it just wont update for the life of it.

Also is there anyway other than what i am currently doing to prompt the wireless android auto connection, what i am doing is if i miss the window in which to change over the to mmi screen and accept the popup for wireless aa (seems to be anything longer than 30 seconds),
to get wireless AA I then have to go into paired devices where it says connected, selected it so it disconnects and then reconnect again?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 11:27 AM   #5686
Rasoul77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i F30

I have just installed a Road Top B version (BR112) on my 2013 F30 328i with champ2 (S606A) successfully. Everything works fine except for a problem that I don't know what could be the root cause. When I put the gearbox to Reverse the mmi correctly detects and shows my PDC screen, but when I put the gear back to Drive the mmi unit resets and the screen becomes blank for a few seconds and then it shows the main menu of mmi. Does anybody have the same problem? If so, any solution?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 11:55 AM   #5687
richf80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

I have a unit for up for sale if anyone is interested.

Carlinkit MMI Box NBT for F8x https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1784322
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 01:11 PM   #5688
IvanK
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F48

Now that SuperLomi mentioned it, it doesn't sound as a bad idea at all.

Here's my proposal: Anyone out there who has an Andream unit (probably B) and is an AA user but is not happy with the AA experience on an Andream unit, would you exchange just your Andream MMI with my Carlinkit MMI?

My Carlinkit works perfectly with AA (custom firmware), and even if you have an aftermarket camera it should work, I just can't vouch for an OEM reverse camera, at least not if you own a X1 F48.

So, if anyone is interested PM me please.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 01:32 PM   #5689
Kimme
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F32 420d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankinecycle View Post
Wish I had found this thread before buying the device.

Anyways, I recently installed a device I bought from Ali express for my 2016 BMW F30.

Everything seems to be working fine (or at least things I have tested so far), but when I call someone using carplay they hear themselves back until I remove them from carplay. Went through some posts and didn't find answer.
Is there any solution to this?
P.S I don't know brandname of my device since it was not written on the box. Anyway to find that out? It had a mic, so I think it's Joyeauto. Seller is no help so far.
Same issue here with what looks like an Andream system...
Contacted seller but they just send me the same list as in the manual. However they talk about pga and aec settings that I can’t seem to find anywhere.

I only have mic volume, op volume and delay.

Anyone that has it working that can share settings? Would it help to install the provided extra mic? I don’t really want to see a mic tho...
Could there be an option to just use the cars bt sound and calling but still have the CarPlay interface? I guess that would solve it all...

Extra issue: low aux volume but that seems normal as Bluetooth audio has the same volume...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 05:38 PM   #5690
biomed27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

I noticed that when I try to make a call from CarPlay interface using Idrive knob, the phone output defaults to CarPlay rather than car Bluetooth. If I make the call using Siri, it will default to car bluetooth. Anybody having a similar issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 06:00 AM   #5691
SuperLomi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Solved, see post below.

Hi everyone,

I got my MMI installed yesterday and everything is working perfect so far.

The only thing I don’t like
is it seems my car does not use the Aux input from the quad lock, and I need to plug in the 3.5mm plug under the arm rest.

I saw someone was able to code this to work, disabling the arm rest input, but their steps did not work for me.

I have CICHB with COMBOX. Car came enhanced bluetooth, navi, office, phone dock enabled. 2013 335i M Sport.

Anybody have any insight in how to solve this with Bimmercode? I don’t like the 3.5mm plug as there isn’t a good way the route the cable (without cutting holes). I don’t mind turning off the aux, as I was thinking of converting that to the MMI usb anyway.

Last edited by SuperLomi; 12-19-2020 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 09:24 AM   #5692
Rasoul77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i F30

Quote:
Anybody have any insight in how to solve this with Bimmercode? I don’t like the 3.5mm plug as there isn’t a good way the route the cable (without cutting holes). I don’t mind turning off the aux, as I was thinking of converting that to the MMI usb anyway.
Your car is equipped with MOST fiber optics and as far as I know the problem cannot be solved by coding. If you just don't want to route the 3.5 mm cable from HU to center console, you can mount a Bluetooth 5.0 audio transmitter to HU and feed it with the output of MMI, and use a Bluetooth 5.0 audio receiver in the center console.

Last edited by Rasoul77; 12-19-2020 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 09:40 AM   #5693
24_bauer_24
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Thanks for the writeups on these. Some very useful advice. Going to look into getting one of these.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 10:31 AM   #5694
SuperLomi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasoul77 View Post
Your car is equipped with MOST fiber optics and as far as I know the problem cannot be solved by coding. If you just don't want to route the 3.5 mm cable from HU to center console, you can mount a Bluetooth 5.0 audio transmitter to HU and feed it with the output of MMI, and use a Bluetooth 5.0 audio receiver in the center console.
Ok, for what it’s worth I tried again and while it didn’t work right away, it seems to be working now.

For the record, here is what I did:

Coded:
In the Head Unit module:
CDMM_AUX_HU to active
CDMM_USB_AUDIO_SINGLE to not active
CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE to not active

Thanks to BreeeZe for figuring this out.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2020, 12:02 PM   #5695
N57
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 325D M Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 325D  [0.00]
Hi all,

I've installed an Andream CarPlay box to a 3 series 2014 earlier. I have noticed after 30 minutes the unit freezes and doesn't respond. I have to turn the car off to reset the unit. Has anyone had this issue and know how to solve?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 12:29 PM   #5696
SuperLomi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N57 View Post
Hi all,

I've installed an Andream CarPlay box to a 3 series 2014 earlier. I have noticed after 30 minutes the unit freezes and doesn't respond. I have to turn the car off to reset the unit. Has anyone had this issue and know how to solve?

Thanks
I don’t know why it would be freezing. Try e-mailing Andream for support on that

If you hold the back button for ~3 seconds it should reboot the MMI. Does that work? At least a workaround vs restarting the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 01:12 AM   #5697
phyco1991
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i 2016

Quote:
Ok, for what it’s worth I tried again and while it didn’t work right away, it seems to be working now.

For the record, here is what I did:

Coded:
In the Head Unit module:
CDMM_AUX_HU to active
CDMM_USB_AUDIO_SINGLE to not active
CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE to not active

Thanks to BreeeZe for figuring this out.
What a great tip thanks. I was able to get away with just coding CDMM_AUX_HU to Active.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 07:18 AM   #5698
SuperLomi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyco1991 View Post
What a great tip thanks. I was able to get away with just coding CDMM_AUX_HU to Active.
Do you have USB input on the iDrive media screen still?

What HU do you have?
Appreciate 0