F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 10 HU discussion
GetBMWParts

04-24-2020, 09:56 AM   #353
Slepoipew
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
i measured the time on my unit on the desk between 1.4.5 and 1.4.7.
Loading has not changed at all.

Kri
ok, I stay at 1.3.0 - the fastest boot system on it
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 01:31 PM   #354
adrian.k
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 325i se

Hi all. Can someone please put some basic instructions on to help me upgrade my unit from A9 to A10 please. I don't understand the ones at the head of the thread....there are a few different files on mega.nz where it says 'first_for_upgrade' with Ksw-P and Ksw-Q in the name.
Thanks in advance

...also it says about not upgrading package in the future.... Very confusing

Last edited by adrian.k; 04-24-2020 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: Missed a bit out
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 02:15 PM   #355
daschacka
Private
Rep
Drives: M5Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian.k View Post
Hi all. Can someone please put some basic instructions on to help me upgrade my unit from A9 to A10 please. I don't understand the ones at the head of the thread....there are a few different files on mega.nz where it says 'first_for_upgrade' with Ksw-P and Ksw-Q in the name.
Thanks in advance

...also it says about not upgrading package in the future.... Very confusing
Upgrade to Ksw-P-Userdebug_OS_v1.2.0-ota.zip
after this is done you can update to the latest version which is 1.4.7 atm.
(If you use tasker i would recommend going and staying at 1.3.0 for now, some people reported some issues with 1.4.5 with tasker).

You cant downgrade to 9.0 anymore when u are at 10.0.

Tbh. If your system is running fine right now, i wouldnt upgrade at all.
In the whole update game (I've done pretty much every update since Android 9 2.3.8, the only big new feature was Steering Wheel system wide integration in 3.8.0 for me )
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 03:08 PM   #356
adrian.k
Private
Rep

Thanks mate..mines not been right.... wouldn't open up into android... persisted to open up OEM even though settings selected to open android up at start. Speedo won't change to imperial...even though selected. I've rooted it previously added stuff and it's slow now so I just want to reset the lot... but might as well do the upgrade. Just wish the Bluetooth was better as apparently it will only connect to my phone and no other devices
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 03:20 PM   #357
daschacka
Private
Rep
Drives: M5Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian.k View Post
Thanks mate..mines not been right.... wouldn't open up into android... persisted to open up OEM even though settings selected to open android up at start. Speedo won't change to imperial...even though selected. I've rooted it previously added stuff and it's slow now so I just want to reset the lot... but might as well do the upgrade. Just wish the Bluetooth was better as apparently it will only connect to my phone and no other devices
The boot to android/OEM option doesnt seem to work properly.
Its like that for all of us, doesnt matter which version you on.
That speedometer isnt working could be a configuration error. You sure you selected the right CAN option? Otherwise i would really try to reset all settings first and do a clean setup.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 03:32 PM   #358
adrian.k
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daschacka View Post
The boot to android/OEM option doesnt seem to work properly.
Its like that for all of us, doesnt matter which version you on.
That speedometer isnt working could be a configuration error. You sure you selected the right CAN option? Otherwise i would really try to reset all settings first and do a clean setup.
Yeah I'm just going to delete all the extra stuff and upgrade it tomorrow. Thanks for your help mate. Just to confirm.....there is no fix for booting to the android? I find it strange that the manufacturers haven't addressed this.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 03:59 PM   #359
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

A small appetizer for what is soon possible thanks to the awsome work of nicholaschum

This is still betatesting, please be patiend, it will be release when software and documentation is done as much as possible to minimize questions.

Kri
Appreciate 8
Mjam133.50
MrChang36.00
foo200261.50
jkont22.50
      04-24-2020, 04:39 PM   #360
adrian.k
Private
Rep

Looks great Kri. Subscribed also
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 08:04 PM   #361
scfishman
fishman
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

SIM Card in USA

I am going to install my new Navifly system tomorrow. I was curious if anyone uses a SIM card in their units? If you do what is the best value for a carrier. I appreciate your time and responses. I look forward to working through the install tomorrow. Hopefully, not too many issues.

Scfishman
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 05:15 AM   #362
ande86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Quote:
A small appetizer for what is soon possible thanks to the awsome work of nicholaschum

This is still betatesting, please be patiend, it will be release when software and documentation is done as much as possible to minimize questions.

Kri
Wow looks really nice, can’t wait to install it. Good job guys
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 07:45 AM   #363
Inland Surfer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 N54 6MT, '18 Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfishman View Post
I am going to install my new Navifly system tomorrow. I was curious if anyone uses a SIM card in their units? If you do what is the best value for a carrier. I appreciate your time and responses. I look forward to working through the install tomorrow. Hopefully, not too many issues.

Scfishman
Why not just tether to your cell phone? SIM card seems like a total waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 10:18 AM   #364
Cskelton
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Can anyone explain why some units come with an additional box? Are these better?

Looking forward to Nicholaschums work
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 02:18 PM   #365
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

If you want to gather pictures of your very specific Car there a two possibilities.

• Downloading via Webbrowser[/U] (thx to Firefly1337 for the hint )
    Use the following link and replace the dummy VIN with your own vin, use the complete VIN not only the last 7 digits.

Code:
    https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.de/api/vehicle/image/v1/ENTERYOURVIN?startAngle=10&stepAngle=10&width=1280
    EDIT: for USA use the following link:

Code:
    https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/api/vehicle/image/v1/ENTERYOURVIN?startAngle=10&stepAngle=10&width=1280
    Thx for the info EvntHrzn

A website will open with only text, but when you look exactly there are 36 Links to your car at 360° angle
    Please note some (older) cars will not be displayed correctly when they have for example m-package ore Limited alloys.

• Downloading from BMW Connected Android App
    Sometimes the webbrowser link does give not you correct pictures, than you can try it with the BMW Connected App / this does require some rooting/adb skill of your smarphone.

First of you need to register your vehicle at BMW-Connected drive Website and you need at least ADB Root access to your Smartphone !
    You do need to send a copy of your registration paper to bmw to activate your car at the Portal, which may take a couple days to be activated.

After your car is registered, download the BMW-Connected App from Playstore and log in with your account.
    Now check if you see your Car with your VO configruration.
    If the image is loaded, connect via ADB to your phone (or on rooted phone a Explorer with root access) and check the file at the following folder.

Code:
    \data\media\0\Android\data\de.bmw.connected\files\pictures
    Please not if your location/app is in a different language the "de" can also be some other language specific code like "en" or "es.

Name:  logoimg.jpg
Views: 10250
Size:  34.9 KB

just add .png to the file and you can use it everywhere

For example for BMW E87 with m-package only the App method seems to work properly.

Last edited by Kri; 04-28-2020 at 03:41 AM..
Appreciate 4
vigorio12.00
gsnake19.00
      04-25-2020, 04:13 PM   #366
vigorio
Rep
Drives: BMW F30, 320i

Dear Kri, great job! Could you please tell us how to change the image in the dashboard?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 01:05 AM   #367
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigorio View Post
Dear Kri, great job! Could you please tell us how to change the image in the dashboard?
You need to wait a little bit until the software and documentation is ready for release.

In meanwhile you can already Download the KswPLauncher Package here and and try to edit the files as you like.

The files you are looking for are found under "/resources/res/drawable-mdpi-v4" for 1280 resolution, and "/resources/res/drawable-hdpi-v4" for 1920 resolution.

To edit them you need some software that supports Alpha-Channel (Transparency), lik e Adobe Photoshop, Corel Paint or GIMP.
Microsoft Paint does not support Alpha-channel !

So try editing the files while waiting for the release does save you some time

Kri

Last edited by Kri; 04-26-2020 at 04:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
vigorio12.00
      04-26-2020, 10:13 AM   #368
scfishman
fishman
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland Surfer View Post
Why not just tether to your cell phone? SIM card seems like a total waste of money.
Unfortunately, I use Straight Talk wireless which doesn't allow tethering.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 02:29 PM   #369
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Kri posted a tutorial how to get images specific to our cars, but not all of us are lucky enough to have their cars supported through the Connected Drive app. To those with older E series cars I can share BMW's Accessories Configurator CD that was distributed in early 2000's. It's not 360 image of each car, but there are decent angles to choose from. Let me know if this would be of any interest to you guys.

This is my custom boot animation created using picture of my car from Accessories Configurator.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 03:55 PM   #370
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
BMW Accessories Configurator for all cars from 2000-2010 era

https://mega.nz/folder/SMBxjYqa#UN-zJavqT85U4dqK6iPaQg
Attached Images

Last edited by RedErik; 05-11-2020 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 3
      04-26-2020, 04:13 PM   #371
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Download your car's images with JDownloader

Quote:
[*]Downloading via Webbrowser[/U] (thx to Firefly1337 for the hint )
Use the following link and replace the dummy VIN with your own vin, use the complete VIN not only the last 7 digits.

Code:
https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.de/api/vehicle/image/v1/ENTERYOURVIN?startAngle=10&stepAngle=10&width=1280
A website will open with only text, but when you look exactly there are 36 Links to your car at 360° angle
Please note some (older) cars will not be displayed correctly when they have for example m-package ore Limited alloys.
Thanks for that, but unfortunately that URL did not work for me, likely because I'm US based. However after some amazing detective work , I figured out that this URL works for us US folk (at least it did for me):

Code:
https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/api/vehicle/image/v1/ENTERYOURVIN?startAngle=10&stepAngle=10&width=1280
I then used JDownloader for the rest. (I think it defaults to the DOWNLOADS folder, but check the settings to be sure)
  • Select all and copy the entire BMW page of text from the URL above
  • At bottom left corner in JDownloader click on + Add New Links
  • Click Continue
  • Click YES on the Nothing found! window that pops up in order to do a deep analysis
  • Click the blue > play symbol at the top left to begin all downloads
  • When it prompts for the file already existing (they're all named the same), choose Rename file, and put a check mark in the box for Remember selection for the Package. (You have a limited amount of time to make this choice before it starts doing it for you, maybe 15 seconds?)
There are keyboard shortcuts that are supposed to make this take fewer steps, but I could not get them to work properly (Ctrl+Shift+V instead of the first step for example).

You will then get 36 separate cosySec.png files. (If you get only one, you missed the step to rename them during download)

It may seem like it will end up taking just as much time as copying each of the 36 links and downloading them individually if you don't already use JDownloader, which could be the case. For me, however, JDownloader always saves me time.

If you do it right, you should end up with a folder that looks something like this:

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
Kri1083.50
      04-27-2020, 01:24 AM   #372
nicholaschum
Android Developer
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-AMG CLA 45

Smile KswOverlay

KswOverlay

Hi all, I know a lot of you have been waiting for this announcement.

KswOverlay is an automated compiler that aids you in creating "overlays" for your device. To explain what an overlay is, it is an APK file that gets read when a core app calls resources. For example, when an app wants to read an icon that is stored within the app, it reads this overlay APK first, before falling back to the resources in the base APK file.

Wow, that was a mouthful, most people probably don't understand. That's okay, just need to remember a few things:
- This does not need active root, only one call required to move an APK to system/app
- This does not replace the launcher APK signed by TeamKsw
- This method does not get outdated when the system is updated.
- This does not rely on Magisk or Xposed
- You can change any text and any picture.

Remember, our Discord is open to everyone! https://discordapp.com/invite/Cfphs4S

Alright, where do I start?
  1. Run Android 8.1, 9.0 or 10 (Oreo, P, Q)
  2. Have access to either Mac, Windows or Linux.
  3. Installed Java's JDK and JRE on the PC, found here:
    https://www.java.com/en/download/
    https://www.oracle.com/java/technolo...downloads.html
  4. If you are planning to do photo editing by yourself, be sure to use an app that can process alpha channels, such as Photoshop, GIMP, etc.

Automated script: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...45&postcount=8
NOTE: If this doesn't work, then the manual instructions are below for a more technical install.

Then follow these instructions: (Initial setup)
  1. Open this on your computer: https://github.com/KswCarProject/KswOverlay
  2. On the top right, click Clone or Download, then click Download ZIP.
  3. Extract this ZIP in an easily accessible folder
  4. For Windows users, I've written a quick .bat file (first-install-windows.bat) for accessing root mode in an automated fashion. But for those who would like to do it manually, follow the next step
  5. I have bundled ADB into the package, so open a command prompt window in the /.compiler folder at the root of KswOverlay folder. If you have ADB already, then just run the commands.
    Code:
    adb connect IP:port
    adb root
    adb disable-verity
    adb reboot

adb root
    adb remount
    adb shell
    adb push kswoverlay.apk /storage/emulated/0
    adb shell mv /storage/emulated/0/kswoverlay.apk /system/app/
    adb shell chmod 644 /system/app/kswoverlay.apk
    adb reboot

adb shell cmd overlay enable ksw.overlay

You have thus completed initial setup. This will be the only time root will be invoked. Further updates to this overlay can be done in a File Explorer from now on. You will have to repeat the above when you flash a new update.

You can always disable the overlay using this code:
Code:
adb shell cmd overlay disable ksw.overlay

Let's start theming:

For those of you who'd like to customize your own theme, follow the steps below. If not and you have a prebuilt theme by one of our testers, just update the existing APK in the file browser.

I've also made a video for those who would prefer to follow a visual guide for theming.

1. Download ZIP: https://github.com/KswCarProject/KswPLauncher, then extract.
  2. In the \resources\res folder of the downloaded ZIP of KswPLauncher, you can now decide what pictures to make changes to, or what files to make changes to.
  3. Remember, if you want to make changes to \resources\res\drawable-sw600dp-mdpi-v13\id6_car_d.png and change it to a different icon, you must recreate this file structure inside the folder of your extracted KswOverlay folder: \resources\res\drawable-sw600dp-mdpi-v13\id6_car_d.png
  4. Once you've made your changes, you may now double click compile-windows.bat, compile-mac.command or if you're on Linux, chmod 644 compile-linux.sh and then ./compile-linux.sh
  5. Install the newly updated kswoverlay.apk in a normal File browser, or if you want, share it around!
  6. Once the APK has been installed/updated, reboot after just in case!

ATTENTION:
  1. DO NOT COPY FILES YOU DID NOT MODIFY INTO THE KSWOVERLAY FOLDER! The reason why is because to keep the overlay clean and light, unneeded files would just bloat the size up.
  2. DO NOT just copy strings.xml or any xml file to values/, always start new. This is because by default, these files have circular references (e.g. @string/string_name), these must be deleted or else it will not work.
  3. It is not possible to rearrange tiles. Doing so will not change code

For your reference:
1024x600 (sw600-mdpi) devices uses drawable-sw600-mdpi-v4
1280x480 (mdpi) devices uses drawable-mdpi-v4, mipmap-mdpi-v4
1920x720 (hdpi) devices uses drawable-mdpi-v4, drawable-hdpi-v4 (default), mipmap-mdpi-v4 and mipmap-hdpi-v4 (default)

I'd like to thank Kri for being my tester, and being the first designer other than myself using this system. We have also compiled a bunch of resources in different repositories for your references. Kri has added GIMP-ready templates for you all BMW owners to make your lives easier. You can find these templates in the KswTheme repository listed below.

KswOverlay: https://github.com/KswCarProject/KswOverlay
KswTheme: https://github.com/KswCarProject/KswTheme
KswStrings: https://github.com/KswCarProject/KswStrings
KswPLauncher: https://github.com/KswCarProject/KswPLauncher

Please note, I have created a signing key for you guys so everyone will have the same signing key. This means that kswoverlay.apk is shareable for those who would like to share their themes to other members on the forum.

Good luck, and have fun! Tag me on your next creation!
Attached Images

Last edited by nicholaschum; 06-06-2020 at 12:09 AM..
Appreciate 9
Kri1083.50
Stainy265.00
vigorio12.00
Frankly30137.00
RedErik1023.50
      04-27-2020, 01:29 AM   #373
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

This guide is for Changing GUI for Snapdragon Units with Android 10 Systems, Android 9 Systems should also work as they have the same naming shema.

Other Android 8.1 an 9 PX Units are untested yet, so you maybe need to check if the naming shema is the same before changing the pictures.
EDIT: PX6 Unit`S do have a different Folder structure, so unfortunateley the Templates do only work for Snapdragon Units !

How to handle the ID6_1280.xcf Template from gimp which can be found here.

first of you need GIMP installed which should be no big problem for users at all

Open the file, you will see a prepaired tile and some kind of folder structure on the right side.

Images are made of three parts, the Top bar , the App Icon and the Tile.

there are also "empty" tiles and Top bars if someone wants to add custom stuff.

Name:  id6_gimp_def1.jpg
Views: 8802
Size:  73.4 KB

to create your own tile it`s all about making the desired layer visible via the grey "eye" icon.

At The example you see to have the Chrome logo Activated, the Apps Top barand the empty Tile.

for example if you want to use a default Tile which has already a Icon you can just disable the Logo with clicking on the eye.

With this selected you can now export the file with -> File -> Export -> <Name of file.png> -> Export

Please note you need 3 Pictures of each tile with each Top-bar , "n", "d", and "f".

Name:  id6_gimp_def2.jpg
Views: 8761
Size:  82.5 KB

Adding your Car Image.
If you want to add your own car image open your Car image, please not that it should be a image with Transparent background, otherwhise you need to remove the background manually.

After opening, do one click on the picture , press "CTRL+A" to select the imaged and then "CTRL-C" to copy it to the clipboard.

Switch back to the Template and ensure your active layer is one of the logos, the dark grey field does show you your selection.
Press "CTRL-V"

Now do a doubleclick on the text "Floating selection (pasted Layer)" and enter a name for the Layer.
Name:  addpicture1.jpg
Views: 8699
Size:  94.6 KB

Now do a right click on your layer select "scale layer" and enter about "300" to the Width".
enbsure the chain is closed so the height will be calculated automatically -> klick on "Scale".
Now you have your image successfully imported
to move the position select the cross on the left side, this allows you to move it.

Name:  addpicture2.jpg
Views: 8881
Size:  160.6 KB

Users with 1920*720 display need to use the id6_1920.xcf file

How to handle ID6_GS GUI

I also created a complete template of the BMW_EVO_GS_ID6 GUI because it has more changeable App Tiles than the normal ID6 on one page.
If you don`t see BMW_EVO_GS_ID6 GUI you need to use the Translated Factory_config.xml which is linked on the first page.

To change the complete GUI there is already a set of default pictures at the "res" folder to replace it so you only need to change your wanted tiles.

It is pretty the same workflow as with ID6 with the exception that the Icons are its own group.

You also need to create three Pictures with the "n" "d" and "f" Bottomtile.

Name:  GS_ID6.jpg
Views: 8686
Size:  72.7 KB
There is no High Resolution version for this GUI

Kri

Last edited by Kri; 06-08-2020 at 02:24 AM..
Appreciate 3
      04-27-2020, 02:11 AM   #374
DoLittle_0815
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E60, BMW E88

PDC stays active

Hi,
installed my 10.25" Android 10 device at the weekend and faced an issue with the pdc as it doesn't switch off when shifting out of reverse.

Any idea what my cause this?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0