F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DEPO Headlights
GetBMWParts

10-29-2020, 11:31 AM   #1
OneLowban
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

DEPO Headlights

Hi all,

I’ve tried searching but can’t find much recent and/or U.K. information. I know they’ve been around for a while now but I’ve been looking into DEPO headlights for my F30 328i Pre LCI on a 13 plate.

I’ve got the standard terrible halogen headlamps and originally got these bulbs and it improved it a bit: https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/p...vision-h7-twin. (If any one can recommend any other bulbs that are better please do)

However one blew recently and made me think about looking into the DEPO lights again as I’m driving on roads sometimes with no street lights etc.

I’ve seen them on two websites:

Here:
https://ultimatestyling.co.uk/bmw-3-...rh-ult6038-phl

And here:
https://www.mstyle.co.uk/f30-and-f31...eadlights.html

However I just had a few questions before investing and would appreciate any help.

1. Are these headlights reliable?

2. Do they give a significant increase in road visibility?

3. Am I right in thinking as my car is Pre LCI, I won’t need any coding and they will just be plug and play?

4. I’ve read about people getting ‘HID conversion kits’ - do I need this too or could I use normal halogen H7 bulbs still? If I do need it is there anything specific I need to know regarding them as I’ve read they aren’t technically legal, is that right?

5. If I needed to change any bulbs down the line after fitting is this a bumper off job or can they be changed the same way as normal halogen lights?

Sorry for all the questions I just don’t want to waste money and know exactly what I’m getting myself into. Any other useful info would be appreciated, cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 12:02 PM   #2
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

Having seen what some youtubers restoring BMWs have to say about DEPO lights - I'd personally run a mile.

It should be possible given the age of the F30 to get hold of genuine xenon units second hand (although you should put the self levelling kit in as well). I'm fairly sure it would also be possible to get the LCI LED units to work as well, although might be a bit more involved.

But going through your questions:

1. Should be - but be warned they're cheap for a reason.
2. No.
3. Side lights being LED might need coding.
4. Needed if you want significantly higher light output. Avoid higher colour temps, light output actually goes down as they get more blue.
5. Pretty much the same as before.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 01:08 PM   #3
3-GT
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d GT

If more light output is your main goal then forget going down this route.

I went down this route years ago with my E87. Light output was drastically reduced.

Going from a reflector lens to projector lens is the issue. Most others who did this mod reported the same. Many installed HID conversions to combat this, but you may have issues come MOT though.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 05:46 PM   #4
OneLowban
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for the replies.

Don’t think I’ll be going the DEPO route in that case then. Also sounds like it will either be too expensive and/or too involved so I guess I’ll just have to stick with the best halogen bulbs I can. Never mind.

Anyone know of any better than the Philips RacingVision?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 09:40 PM   #5
SteelCT
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive; 2020 X3

I've got the Depo lights. Had them for three years now on my 2013. I got increased light output. The cut off is a bit weird, but much better than the halogens. I haven't had to replace bulbs yet, but I do not regret going this route
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 04:45 AM   #6
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLowban View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Don’t think I’ll be going the DEPO route in that case then. Also sounds like it will either be too expensive and/or too involved so I guess I’ll just have to stick with the best halogen bulbs I can. Never mind.

Anyone know of any better than the Philips RacingVision?

Cheers.
Maybe try the Osram Nightbreakers as they have one of the best reviews around I've seen. I think you've gone for the best Phillips produce.

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 04:32 PM   #7
OneLowban
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Imperial March - thanks for the reply, good to hear you’ve had a positive experience. Kinda throws a spanner in here.

Armaan - thanks for the suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 01:56 AM   #8
daustin3
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW F30 320d Sport

I installed the depos last month, got them for £409 on eBay from Schmeidmann.

I’ve had no problems so far. They fit well and look so much better than the halogens. I hated the front of my car before changing to depo.

I guess that depends on the bulbs you install. If you stick with halogen, then you’ll have no light improvement.

I installed these:

Dipped beam- 55w 6000k HID kit £65
https://www.hids4u.co.uk/H7-HIDS4U-S...rsion-Kit.html

High Beam- LED £37
NOVSIGHT H7 LED Headlight Bulbs 55W/Pair 10000LM 6000K 1:1 Mini Design Car Replacement Lights of Halogen and Xenon Kit 2 Lamps https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RX34N...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Indicators- LED £23
MCK Auto - PY21W 581 BAU15S LED... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074W5N6...p_mob_ap_share

3. Am I right in thinking as my car is Pre LCI, I won’t need any coding and they will just be plug and play?

If you use halogen bulbs no coding will be needed. If you’re using HID or LEDs some coding will be needed. It’s really easy to do, but it does mean you’ll need to buy a OBD reader and BimmerCode for around £60

4. I’ve read about people getting ‘HID conversion kits’ - do I need this too or could I use normal halogen H7 bulbs still? If I do need it is there anything specific I need to know regarding them as I’ve read they aren’t technically legal, is that right?

I’m not due an MOT until August, so couldn’t comment on that just yet. But the light output is crisp and bright, and it doesn’t blind other road users as it’s in a projector housing. The beam pattern is fine so there should be no questions asked at the mot. The HID paired with the LED high beam is on another level to halogen- massive difference.

5. If I needed to change any bulbs down the line after fitting is this a bumper off job or can they be changed the same way as normal halogen lights?

High beam replacement is a bumper off job as there’s no other way of accessing them. Dipped beam can be done as normal.

Hope this helps
Attached Images

Last edited by daustin3; 10-31-2020 at 02:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 03:29 AM   #9
Armaan
Major
Rep

Should be noted that after-market HID conversion kits are not legal in the UK. Might be an issue come MOT time but I'm not sure if testers look at them that closely.

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 05:40 AM   #10
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaan View Post
Should be noted that after-market HID conversion kits are not legal in the UK. Might be an issue come MOT time but I'm not sure if testers look at them that closely.

Armaan
Are they legal if fitted in a housing designed for hid bulbs? As opposed to townies who install them in halogen headlights, thus blinding other drivers.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 06:35 AM   #11
Armaan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaan View Post

Armaan
Are they legal if fitted in a housing designed for hid bulbs? As opposed to townies who install them in halogen headlights, thus blinding other drivers.
My assumption would be that if suspected then they'd test them - in the correct housing it may pass that test, I'm not sure.

The government website says all after market HID kits are not road legal.

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 12:45 PM   #12
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
AIUI xenon gas-discharge bulbs (OEM or aftermarket) require projector lenses, self-levelling adjustment, and headlight washers, to be legal and pass an MOT.

I've had aftermarket HIDs without the washers and self-levelling in a car 8-10 years ago without any issue. I've also had OEM xenon headlight units retrofitted to another car, again without self-levelling or headlight washers with no problem.

But I know they've tightened up MOT regs in the last 5 years.

I think as long as they pass the beam pattern/alignment check, you might get away with it though.

My progress thread
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 05:05 PM   #13
OneLowban
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for all the input guys, all of this is helping me understand things being a newbie to all this, appreciate it.

Surprised to see by looking at bulb reviews etc how many people just stick LED bulbs in halogen reflector housings, there really must be much more on the road than I realised. They comment on newer LED bulbs having better beam patterns even in reflector housings, is this true? I would like a projector housing regardless but just wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daustin3 View Post
I installed the depos last month, got them for £409 on eBay from Schmeidmann.

I’ve had no problems so far. They fit well and look so much better than the halogens. I hated the front of my car before changing to depo.

I guess that depends on the bulbs you install. If you stick with halogen, then you’ll have no light improvement.

I installed these:

Dipped beam- 55w 6000k HID kit £65
https://www.hids4u.co.uk/H7-HIDS4U-S...rsion-Kit.html

High Beam- LED £37
NOVSIGHT H7 LED Headlight Bulbs 55W/Pair 10000LM 6000K 1:1 Mini Design Car Replacement Lights of Halogen and Xenon Kit 2 Lamps https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RX34N...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Indicators- LED £23
MCK Auto - PY21W 581 BAU15S LED... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074W5N6...p_mob_ap_share

If you use halogen bulbs no coding will be needed. If you’re using HID or LEDs some coding will be needed. It’s really easy to do, but it does mean you’ll need to buy a OBD reader and BimmerCode for around £60

I’m not due an MOT until August, so couldn’t comment on that just yet. But the light output is crisp and bright, and it doesn’t blind other road users as it’s in a projector housing. The beam pattern is fine so there should be no questions asked at the mot. The HID paired with the LED high beam is on another level to halogen- massive difference.

High beam replacement is a bumper off job as there’s no other way of accessing them. Dipped beam can be done as normal.

Hope this helps
Really appreciate this detailed response daustin3, cheers! Your headlights look amazing, I’ve done another 180 now thinking about the DEPOs again lol. I mainly want that setup for the added road visibility but the angel eyes do look so much better too.

Can’t really find OEM Xenon headlights to be retrofitted but what I have seen are £500+ each, even then they are some other brand sometimes.

I think I will sit on this for the next few weeks and see how I go, likely to be the DEPO + quality HID kit if anything though, just need to do a bit more research.

Regarding the OBD reader is there a specific one or they easy to get hold of? Also can any car be coded via bimmercode or do you need any specific options on your car? Mine is a really basic spec if the reason I ask.

Sorry for all the questions and any future ones I just want to make sure I understand everything before going for it, cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 11:17 AM   #14
daustin3
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys, all of this is helping me understand things being a newbie to all this, appreciate it.

Surprised to see by looking at bulb reviews etc how many people just stick LED bulbs in halogen reflector housings, there really must be much more on the road than I realised. They comment on newer LED bulbs having better beam patterns even in reflector housings, is this true? I would like a projector housing regardless but just wondering.

Really appreciate this detailed response daustin3, cheers! Your headlights look amazing, I’ve done another 180 now thinking about the DEPOs again lol. I mainly want that setup for the added road visibility but the angel eyes do look so much better too.

Can’t really find OEM Xenon headlights to be retrofitted but what I have seen are £500+ each, even then they are some other brand sometimes.

I think I will sit on this for the next few weeks and see how I go, likely to be the DEPO + quality HID kit if anything though, just need to do a bit more research.

Regarding the OBD reader is there a specific one or they easy to get hold of? Also can any car be coded via bimmercode or do you need any specific options on your car? Mine is a really basic spec if the reason I ask.

Sorry for all the questions and any future ones I just want to make sure I understand everything before going for it, cheers!

No worries, it took me months to decide on the headlights and bulbs, there’s loads of info on the Depos on this forum. In regards to OBD reader, if you download the BimmerCode app it will give you a list of supported OBD readers and links to buy them. I got this one:
Veepeak OBDCheck BLE OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner Auto OBD II EOBD Diagnostic Scan Tool for iOS & Android, Car Check Engine Light Code Reader https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073XKQQQW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_i2dOFbZWRYFSF

BimmerCode works on all F30s, although some features will depend on the spec of the car, but there’s loads of good things you can code, so it’s not just a case of spending money to stop the headlight errors. YouTube has loads of BimmerCode videos to give you a good idea of what you can do.

I don’t think you’ll regret the Depos, I really regretted buying an F30 with halogens so had to be done.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 01:31 PM   #15
OneLowban
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
No worries, it took me months to decide on the headlights and bulbs, there’s loads of info on the Depos on this forum. In regards to OBD reader, if you download the BimmerCode app it will give you a list of supported OBD readers and links to buy them. I got this one:
Veepeak OBDCheck BLE OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner Auto OBD II EOBD Diagnostic Scan Tool for iOS & Android, Car Check Engine Light Code Reader https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073XKQQQW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_i2dOFbZWRYFSF

BimmerCode works on all F30s, although some features will depend on the spec of the car, but there’s loads of good things you can code, so it’s not just a case of spending money to stop the headlight errors. YouTube has loads of BimmerCode videos to give you a good idea of what you can do.

I don’t think you’ll regret the Depos, I really regretted buying an F30 with halogens so had to be done.
Thanks for that I will have a look at some of the scanners via the app.

Yeah that makes sense. I’ll have a look at some videos on coding in that case. I saw a video where they used an adapter on the back of the bulb to cancel out errors, but does the coding via BimmerCode sort this in the same way?

I’m leaning toward getting it done now I understand it more and after seeing yours. I tried to find some info on here but most of the threads are from the USA.

I really regret not getting better headlights too and that’s the only real negative I can say at the moment so it’s really bugging, even though my car is really basic. I also need more road visibility so it’s for a legit cause I guess.

With the DEPO lights is there any clearance problems with the HID bulbs or anything? As I’ve read about that being an issue too. Or is it just literally buy the lights and bulbs, plug and code?

I see you changed the high beams and indicators too, is this just a personal choice or do you reckon those should be changed as well? And are they easy enough fitted to the DEPOs? With the high beam it doesn’t look like a projector housing, but does this not matter as you don’t usually drive with the high beams on?

Also Is there any reason you went with Schmeidmann on eBay rather than any of the links I posted in the original post?

Once again sorry for all of the Qs, I think I’m almost done!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 05:10 PM   #16
daustin3
Rep

Haha no problem! I don’t mind the questions!

With BimmerCode, I’ve added digital speedometer, my door lights come on when in reverse, rear LEDs are always on, audio alert for unlock/lock...I did other stuff but that’s what I remember. If you download the app there is a demo mode that shows you all the options you can change/update (not all will be applicable to you, it just depends on your equipment/spec). Some led bulbs come ‘error free’ but I’m not sure how reliable that is, and if you’re going for HIDs it will definitely need coding. It’s nothing to be worried about, it’s really easy but another £60 to factor into the cost.

Choosing LEDs for other bulbs is just preference as I think they look better. I’ve changed all front bulbs to LED, including fogs. I’m going to change the rears too. All the LEDs are easy to fit.

In terms of the HIDs, when ordering from HIDs4U you enter your car make and model and they send you the adaptors to fit the car. It was fiddly on the first headlight but once you’ve done it, the second headlight is easy.

High beam is reflector but as you say, it doesn’t matter as you’ll only be using it when there’s no oncoming traffic- the HIDs and LED together light up EVERYTHING

The only reason I went with schmiedmann is because it was the cheapest place to buy them.

Let me know if you go ahead with Depos!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #17
OneLowban
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Haha no problem! I don’t mind the questions!

With BimmerCode, I’ve added digital speedometer, my door lights come on when in reverse, rear LEDs are always on, audio alert for unlock/lock...I did other stuff but that’s what I remember. If you download the app there is a demo mode that shows you all the options you can change/update (not all will be applicable to you, it just depends on your equipment/spec). Some led bulbs come ‘error free’ but I’m not sure how reliable that is, and if you’re going for HIDs it will definitely need coding. It’s nothing to be worried about, it’s really easy but another £60 to factor into the cost.

Choosing LEDs for other bulbs is just preference as I think they look better. I’ve changed all front bulbs to LED, including fogs. I’m going to change the rears too. All the LEDs are easy to fit.

In terms of the HIDs, when ordering from HIDs4U you enter your car make and model and they send you the adaptors to fit the car. It was fiddly on the first headlight but once you’ve done it, the second headlight is easy.

High beam is reflector but as you say, it doesn’t matter as you’ll only be using it when there’s no oncoming traffic- the HIDs and LED together light up EVERYTHING

The only reason I went with schmiedmann is because it was the cheapest place to buy them.

Let me know if you go ahead with Depos!
Cheers, appreciate it!

Nice, sounds good. Will have to have a play around with the app and see what’s available. Even the few coding mods you’ve listed there sound good. Yeah I’m thinking it will be HIDs.

Don’t mind paying for BimmerCode too to get the job done properly and it would be good to have other coding options, cheers for the heads up on the price.

Is that HID adapters to fit into the bulb holders you mean?

Ah I see, I think at the moment I’d be looking to get them from Ultimate Styling as I think they will be just under £400 with delivery.

It’s looking very likely at the moment but will do mate! Might send you a PM nearer the time if that’s cool. Thanks for the help again!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 03:47 AM   #18
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

OneLowban
I see you're in south Herts like me.
I've got ESys and ISTA/D on a laptop all set up so if you get stuck on anything let me know
As a new owner I'd recommend spending a few quid on a cable and getting ISTA/D and eSys set up on a laptop ready for any future use.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 01:12 PM   #19
OneLowban
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquartch View Post
OneLowban
I see you're in south Herts like me.
I've got ESys and ISTA/D on a laptop all set up so if you get stuck on anything let me know
As a new owner I'd recommend spending a few quid on a cable and getting ISTA/D and eSys set up on a laptop ready for any future use.
Yeah, thanks for that.
Sorry what is ESys and ISTA/D? And also Compared to an OBD reader + BimmerCode? Is it the same thing more or less but in laptop form or different?

Thanks for the message!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 05:09 AM   #20
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

Quote:
Yeah, thanks for that.
Sorry what is ESys and ISTA/D? And also Compared to an OBD reader + BimmerCode? Is it the same thing more or less but in laptop form or different?

Thanks for the message!
They are dealer software packages

ISTA/D is the diagnostics, also contains the workshop manuals
ESys allows coding, does the same thing that Bimmercode and Carly simplify.

Both work with an ethernet to OBD cable

Well worth having on a laptop
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 01:40 PM   #21
OneLowban
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquartch View Post
They are dealer software packages

ISTA/D is the diagnostics, also contains the workshop manuals
ESys allows coding, does the same thing that Bimmercode and Carly simplify.

Both work with an ethernet to OBD cable

Well worth having on a laptop
Ah I see, cheers!

I’ll try BimmerCode out I think first then look into those other two.

Any idea why the lights would be almost £100 cheaper on Ultimate Styling vs M-Style?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 03:14 PM   #22
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

I've found M Style to be a little more expensive on most things they sell than other sites. Pay with a credit card and you'll be covered under S75 if things go tits up.

Might also be worth checking autodoc to see if they've got any aftermarket headlights.