F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 340i Downpipe and Resonator Delete
GetBMWParts

12-13-2020, 07:58 PM   #1
parch8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9816 340i xdrive alpine

340i Downpipe and Resonator Delete

Hey guys I recently put in a VRSF catless downpipe on my 340i which I had already done a dual resonator delete on. ( I totally effed up by doing it that order but I originally didn't plan on going catless or tuning but changed my mind). Now that I have both things done the car is really loud but it's a bit too raspy sounding with valves open when under heavy throttle. I believe this is due to the resonator delete part of what I've done that caused the tone to be as such and it's a bit louder than I want (don't want every cop to hear me when I want to get on the throttle in sport). So my questions are, has anyone else done this and what did they do to fix it, is the best course of action to just have a local shop put a resonator or two back in? Secondly I'm very new to the world of aftermarket parts and mods but are resonators designed differently from different places or are pretty similar if similar in size? Thanks as always to those who respond learning from my mistakes here
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 08:07 PM   #2
aardate
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4MC

Exhaust sounds are a trial and error and it’s ok to play around with different setups to get the sound you are looking for. If the car is too loud for your taste then I would start by putting back the resonators, that would definitely quite things down.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2020, 08:45 PM   #3
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

I for sure am considering it at least one of them, the issue is the shop never gave me the resonators when I had them removed because I was being stupid and didn't think to ask for them till weeks later. So I'm trying to find an alternative to paying the 600$ bmw seems to want for the entire section of exhaust. And I'm a bit lost on whether a random resonator that is the same size for my exhaust will do relatively the same thing as the stock one did or if aftermarket will give a different tone than the stock by a lot. And yes definitely been a lot of trial and error with this car so far made a few mistakes with the exhaust and getting slightly too wide tires but live and learn I guess!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 03:34 PM   #4
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Maybe something educational....: https://www.americanmuscle.com/musta...ifference.html

The stock exhaust does not have a resonator. You cannot delete it.
      12-14-2020, 07:32 PM   #5
aardate
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Maybe something educational....: https://www.americanmuscle.com/musta...ifference.html

The stock exhaust does not have a resonator. You cannot delete it.
Mine is the exact setup as in the link below. Moving back from the muffler, it looks like there is a resonator and a smaller muffler leading all the way to the front where it should connect to the downpipe.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1559033
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Wires1645.50
      12-14-2020, 07:37 PM   #6
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

I'm not the most educated person by any means regarding exhausts but I'm 99% sure according to ever forum and article I've read plus all after market mid pipes specifically say "replaces the stock resonated mid pipe of the 340i". So just want to clarify I'm referring to the mid pipe section not the end of the exhaust. Maybe I'm misundestanding the point of what you're saying though.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 07:40 PM   #7
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Yea precisely I had both section of the mid pipe removed so I guess one of them could be considered a muffler and the other a resonator but I was sure to a degree it had been referred to as having an. resonator. So what I'm wondering at this point is if I get a resonator done by a local shop do you guys think it's gonna be a significant difference from getting a resonator from bmw which would most likely cost me an arm and a leg lol. Thank you by the way aardate for the image and information.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 07:42 PM   #8
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Is car tuned? I have this exact setup and love it. Everyone is different though.
With cold start noise reduction enabled via tune I don't mind this setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 07:46 PM   #9
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Yup car is tune just flashed stage 2 bm3 after I installed the downpipe And I love it too the issue I'm concerned with is when I get heavy on throttle the tone is a bit different than I'd like. I'd personally prefer a bit less rasp and like 10% quieter just cuz I now find myself not getting heavy on throttle as much for fear of cops. (For reference cops here pulled me over for (harshness of sound cuz of some stock burbles when I wasn't even tuned with resonator delete (ridiculous I know)). It may grow on me more as I'm not used to having a fast and loud car my previous car was a 4 cylinder Nissan so maybe it's an adjustment just want to explore my options in case it does become an issue
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 09:26 PM   #10
leew102
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 340i xdrive

Haven't ever done aftermarket resonators, but I have seen a couple posts where people here have just gotten an aftermarket resonator put back in. From what I understand the stock resonators deadens the sound quite a bit so might be worth going a less sound deadening aftermarket one.

I have a CTS Catted DP with an AWE Non Res midpipe and Remus axle back. The midpipe is essentially what you have though, its just a straight through pipe now. I couldn't imagine having a decatted DP though, this is already really loud. I also have BM3 Stg 2 so if the sound does ever grow on you, I set the burbles to custom and only changed the minimal rpm to 1850 and max speed to 125kph. Keeps the car from going all poppy and burbly while driving around stop and go traffic and low speeds when in sport and in regular drive and allows you to keep all the loudness and burbles when you are able to get on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 09:33 PM   #11
aardate
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parch8 View Post
Yea precisely I had both section of the mid pipe removed so I guess one of them could be considered a muffler and the other a resonator but I was sure to a degree it had been referred to as having an. resonator. So what I'm wondering at this point is if I get a resonator done by a local shop do you guys think it's gonna be a significant difference from getting a resonator from bmw which would most likely cost me an arm and a leg lol. Thank you by the way aardate for the image and information.
I can see how it would be too loud with a catless downpipe with your current setup. I would seriously look into perhaps locating a used stock exhaust (or just the midpipe section if you can find one used) rather than going down the route of experimenting with different aftermarket solutions. Search around in the classified section maybe you can get lucky and find a used one for a decent price.

Last edited by aardate; 12-14-2020 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 10:25 PM   #12
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew102 View Post
Haven't ever done aftermarket resonators, but I have seen a couple posts where people here have just gotten an aftermarket resonator put back in. From what I understand the stock resonators deadens the sound quite a bit so might be worth going a less sound deadening aftermarket one.

I have a CTS Catted DP with an AWE Non Res midpipe and Remus axle back. The midpipe is essentially what you have though, its just a straight through pipe now. I couldn't imagine having a decatted DP though, this is already really loud. I also have BM3 Stg 2 so if the sound does ever grow on you, I set the burbles to custom and only changed the minimal rpm to 1850 and max speed to 125kph. Keeps the car from going all poppy and burbly while driving around stop and go traffic and low speeds when in sport and in regular drive and allows you to keep all the loudness and burbles when you are able to get on it.
Yea so it's just a matter of if I want to tone it down a bit I enjoy it for the most part just feel like at 3k rpm or so it's a bit raspy but after driving today it didn't sound as bad might have been the tunnels accentuating the raspiness. But yea I do the same I set custom burble on stage 2 I set minimum burbles to 2500 in sport cuz I like driving in sport. I do feel like even doing so though I tend to get small burbles on throttle release even below the 2500 threshold. I do like how the burbles sound I just had to tone it done cuz now it sounds almost like gunshots 😂
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 10:31 PM   #13
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardate View Post
Quote:
I can see how it would be too loud with a catless downpipe with your current setup. I would seriously look into perhaps locating a used stock exhaust (or just the midpipe section if you can find one used) rather than going down the route of experimenting with different aftermarket solutions. Search around in the classified section maybe you can get lucky and find a used one for a decent price.
Yea I've been searching trying to find a resonator cuz the entire pipe I have yet to see for cheap and bmw unsurprisingly wants like 600$ for it. Wish I had the foresight to ask for the resonators when I had the delete done I have every other part I've changed except that one lol
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 10:34 PM   #14
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

I imagine a 335 resonator (looks the same) will probably fit ? Found one for 100$ used that might not be a bad idea
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 12:33 AM   #15
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Ditch the thin, tinny sounding VRSF catless downpipe. Get a quality, high flow catted DP. The sound will be more refined, less smell, and still gains for stage 2 and above.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 1
Wires1645.50
      12-15-2020, 12:39 AM   #16
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
Ditch the thin, tinny sounding VRSF catless downpipe. Get a quality, high flow catted DP. The sound will be more refined, less smell, and still gains for stage 2 and above.
A lot of people seem to have good things to say about the VrSF and the fitment was very easy Not sure that many of the other exhausts made with stainless are going to sound that much different in catless I can see the catted being a lot different though but they get pricey quick with some restricting air flow still to some degree. What do you have that you run that you'd recommend?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 03:30 AM   #17
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

After doing some research some of the other bmw forums seem to have had luck reducing rasp and a very minor noise reduction by adding in a vibrant resonator to the mid pipe. Might see if I can find one that fits my mid pipe and have a shop install it
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 11:34 AM   #18
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

Quote:
And it won't be a felony.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 04:47 PM   #19
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspektUSA View Post
Quote:
And it won't be a felony.
Yea.. thanks for the input...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 08:39 PM   #20
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
After doing some research some of the other bmw forums seem to have had luck reducing rasp and a very minor noise reduction by adding in a vibrant resonator to the mid pipe. Might see if I can find one that fits my mid pipe and have a shop install it
I'm running the ER catted DP and it sounds great. Nice and refined sounding.

I had started with the VSRF catted version, but it was raspy and rough and fitment was just bad.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 08:44 PM   #21
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Personally I did not have any issues with the VRSF install went very smooth for me. When we did my friends his was a bit harder to attach the mid pipe but was easy enough to fix but mine went in easy. Wish I could find someone with the same setup who has the ER instead of VRSF to see if there's a difference in sound from clips The issue for me is I'd rather have a resonator put back in and spend 200$ than order an ER catted which is gonna be a lot more than that and I'll still have to swap out and sell my catless VRSF. Weighing options with this still gonna take a while to decide hopefully I'll find some good clips or hear more feedback to help. I appreciate the input as I am definitely open to my options want to make this sound as good as possible
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 08:48 PM   #22
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

At this point the order I'm thinking might be best to do the resonator see if it cleans up the sound cuz it will probably be good regardless of what downpipe I have to do this. If it still needs refining maybe go with a catted DP and if that's too muffled but tone is right get an axle back way down the line. I loved how it sounded with resonator delete but it needed a bit of volume and with volume sadly I got raspiness. If it wasn't for needing a downpipe for stage 2 I'd pull the downpipe up for the stock one and put an axle back on
Appreciate 0